03-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Free Member

hi, we got in last night from a 10 day trip. i turned on all my computer equipment so i could check emails etc and get updated. couldn't get my cable modem to work. my motorola cable modem powers up fine. the recieve light blinks a few times and then stays on, but the send light just keeps blinking. usually the lights blink a few times and then stay on, so you know it is working. now the send light just keeps blinking and i can't get connected. i unplugged all the cables and power cords, but still not working correctly. what else do i need to check? do i need to call comcast since i have service with them? or do i just need to buy a new cable modem? this one is about 2 years old. please any advice is greatly appreciated. lmk. thanks stoogedog
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-17-2008, 03:04 AM
Free Member

One thing to check, if you have a TV hooked up to the cable without a set top box. If you tune to channel 2, 3 or 4 and the picture looks crappy, it's a line problem with Comcast that's causing your modem not to synch up with the head-end (the main entry point to the cable modem network). If that's it, call them up.

Do you have a power cable splitter/amplifier? Maybe it's turned off.

It could also be that Comcast has dhcp issues or your cable modem can't get authenticated. Those are Comcast owned issues, not yours.
03-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Free Member

unless you can test with a second modem, I keep an old alcatel hanging around just for this, call them and test stuff while you wait.
03-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Free Member

I had a similar problem, and it turned out that a squirrel had chomped on the cable coming into the house. The tiny puncture was enough for moisture to get into the cable and corrode the metal, over time. The tech told me that cable television can adjust to the temporary dips in signal, but the digital modem could not, and when signal strength dropped below a certain threshold, my internet connection went belly up.

Comcast can diagnose your modem remotely - that's how they were able to figure out for me that the problem was cabling.
03-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Free Member

hi, i greatly appreciate all the replies and info. i'm going to check into it this evening. i'll have comcast remotely check the modem. again thanks stoogedog
03-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Free Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mrwhitethc

unless you can test with a second modem, I keep an old alcatel hanging around just for this, call them and test stuff while you wait.
Grrrr, Alcatel - I could have gone all day without hearing that name. But I guess it would be realy tough, since that's who I work for as of today - end of the week, I could be working for EMC. First thing I'm going to find out, do I get their storage systems at a discount! lol