Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-14-2023, 12:35 AM
Free Member

I got a new 2TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5" hard drive. It shows up in Windows XP device manager but not in disk management. XP successfully installed drivers on it's own after first boot with this new drive and device manager says it's working properly. So I booted into Windows 7 and the drive was fully recognized there. I initialized it and partitioned as MBR, not GPT. Booted back into XP and still no luck. It's recognized by the BIOS. I've already installed XP drivers for the SATA controller and everything else. Can't find any info online that helps or even much related to this exact issue. I've tried everything I can think of to get it working. Has anyone else ever experienced an issue like this?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-14-2023, 06:12 PM
Free Member

Update:

I swapped out the 2TB with an old 40GB drive and it works fine in XP. I was assuming this must be a driver-related issue, but I stopped Windows from automatically installing the driver for the 40GB and it still worked fine. Prior to that I even reinstalled a bunch of SATA, RAID, chipset, etc. drivers to no avail. The SATA power/data cables are verified working. The 2TB is fully functional in Windows 7 and appears in XP device manager as working properly, so that should rule out the drive being faulty. I'm really at a loss here. This is the first computer-related problem that has completely stumped me. Major bummer. I was excited to start doing some serious captures and this has stopped me dead in my tracks. I guess for now I'll throw the old 40GB back in and pray it doesn't die.
07-14-2023, 07:30 PM
Free Member

I don't see a way to edit my posts, but I finally got the drive working. It was a SATA driver issue like I first suspected. Apparently right-clicking and choosing "install" doesn't always work for driver .inf files. I messed around and eventually went into my SATA controller properties in device manager and manually updated the driver by specifying its location. Was prompted to restart PC... and voila! Now I'm a happy camper.

I apologize for spamming. Hopefully this can help someone else in the future.
The following users thank Schlockmaster for this useful post: Xhumeka (07-19-2023)

Tags
hard drive, hdd, windows xp