Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
Hi,

I want to buy a laptop, my budget is like 300-500 at the most...and I want something that I can still copy DVDs on, like I can on my desktop.

I haven't owned a laptop in like 6 years, could you give me some system requirements that I should try to get in the laptop?

I was just looking on ebay...I want a laptop thats like 17" + (i assume that's the screen size? i want a big screen)

Could you maybe do a search on ebay and tell me what one you would suggest to me? I've been looking on there and I can't decide on anything because I don't know what I should get..

Thanks and Happy Holidays
Quote:
I know in my last msg, I asked you to suggest a laptop..
could you maybe give me 3 that you think would be good and I'll just pick from that?

I'd like it to be a big screen 17"+ , be able to copy dvds on it
big hard drive, fast procssor..the regular good things you'd want on a laptop.

Thanks for any help in advance, as I said in my last msg, I don't know what's new and what would be good so I figured you'd be able to point me in the right direction

Thanks!
Then I gave a quick reply that I'll look at what's available, and create a post on.

Quote:
Ok,,thanks...I appreciate that.

Keep in my mind, my budget is like, $300-$500..

But ya, I'll just wait to hear from you. My computer that I use for the internet is going to die very soon I fear, so if you could get that to me soon as you can, that'd be great.

You don't even have to write a lot about them if you don't want, maybe order them from 1st to 3rd or whatever, and maybe a link to where I can find them and I'll just read up on them all.

Thanks
The budget is workable, and you can get a number of great systems in the sub-$500 price range, including 17" models.

One of the best places to look for heavily-discounted items is Geeks.com. I quickly checked out a few places, but Geeks has some insanely low prices on laptops/notebooks right now.

Look at what's available here: Geeks.com (click this link)

I see two possible options for you:

Dell Inspiron 1750 Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz 4GB 320GB DVD±RW 17.3" WLED Vista Business
Your Price: $459.99

Toshiba L675D-S7014 Athlon II Dual-Core P320 2.1GHz 4GB 320GB DVD±RW 17.3" LED-Backlit Win7 Home Prem
Now: $499.99

You really need to notice this: Availability: Almost Gone
This morning, when I did a cursory look, there were a few more systems available. One of them was $309 (but came with known-to-overheat crap video card), and the other was the blue version of #1. These things are limited in quantity and sell out fast, so MAKE UP YOUR MIND QUICKLY!

I think that Dell is an excellent deal. (Plus I prefer Vista to Win7 -- at least at this time.)

So, to quote an old commercial: "Dude, get a Dell!"

I also think going for 17" is a good idea -- I find anything less of be unacceptably small, especially consider how I operate from 20" 4:3 and 23" 16:10 monitors these days, when sitting at desktop workstations. I can't imagine a puny 1990s-sized 15.4" (and 16:10, no less) monitor to work from. I'd go blind and want to smash it.

And then I suggest a real store for this, not eBay, as return policies/etc are more reliable. Most of what you'll find on eBay likely have that terrible series of nVidia cards that are known to overheat. You don't want one of those.

(EDIT: Just for giggles, I took a look at eBay, and all I see is overpriced and/or abused leftover crap. I even looked up my own model of laptop, from a few years ago, and all I can see are "parts only" systems that look like they were used by chimps. How does a laptop get in such a terrible condition? Do people drive over them? Launch them from second-floor windows? I just don't understand that level of abuse. DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY!)

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-08-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
I wanted you to know that I got the last one. I went to re-read about it and I bought it, and it said it's out of stock now.

I just thought it was funny because in your post, you said to make up my mind quick, that was very good advice because there was obviously only 1 left!
Although I'm of the firm belief that a "now or never" ultimatum should always be answered as "never" -- sometimes a good deal has to be pounced on. Of course, this comes with the understanding that you can ID a good deal, and distinguish it from salesman/marketing BS. And sadly, few have that ability.

I've missed out on legitimately good deals in the past, due to uncertainty, fear, or unwillingness to spend the limited available funds.

I'm most glad to hear that you did NOT miss out on this good deal.

Quote:
Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate your help again.

I just went ahead and ordered the Dell. It said it was refurbished, but I would've preferred it to be brand new, do you think that could have any effect on it? It did look like a great computer. I'm very excited to get it.

Thanks again!
Three of my best four computers are refurbs -- and that includes two laptops. In fact, I'm using one to type this message. A refurb HP laptop is my main machine for work.

In many cases, a refurbished item is not used -- it was simply not in salable condition without a return trip to the manufacturer. Very often, refurb items are pre-consumer, such as store displays, open boxes, damaged stock, etc. In some cases, when it was a consumer return, parts have been replaced -- or the return items was gutted for the "good parts" and the collection of various good parts was turned into new like-new equipment. There's many types of refurbs. Don't assume it's somebody's unwanted/broken return.

Beyond that, I have a lot of "hand me down" computers, and parts that went into "new" (new to me!) computers that work absolutely brilliantly. I don't mean ancient stuff either, but dual-core systems and other excellent gear that has been used for testing and other various site/business needs. Some of it was even donated to us by generous donors, for the express purpose of supporting our various testing needs.

New or used or refurb -- if it works, it works. I'm not rich enough to be a "new only" snob.
I also have a lot of great camera gear -- much of it bought used.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

01-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

As added input, I saw a decent laptop for $499 at Walmart, but it was not WLED, only 17.0", a slower CPU, 3GB RAM and 250GB hard drive. The above Dell deal that this person opted for was a better system, and for about $50 less.

While shopping at Microcenter, I saw some nice laptops -- but those were above the $300-500 budget, for the 17" class. Their available refurbs were about on par with what you could get from Geeks, but the the added "benefit" of paying local taxes. So it was going to strain the $500 capped budget.

Overall, that Dell was a good choice.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Free Member

Funny story,
I read about the laptop when it was suggested to me, and decided to buy it. After I bought it, I went to re-read about it, and realized it's purple, "Passion Purple" it's called. Needless to say, I wasn't too thrilled about that for obvious reasons lol
I got it today and it's working great so far. I just thought that was a pretty funny story because I've everyone I've told about it so far has gotten a kick out it, and have enjoyed making fun of me lol.
Thanks once again for your great help and advice!
01-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

You'll get used to it. I've had things in the past that were not exactly the color I wanted. For example, my cars -- none of them have ever been the color I really wanted. After a while, the use of the item overrides the color.

And it always makes for an amusing story.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-19-2011, 11:17 AM

I've continued to monitor prices and specs on laptops, just for sake of curiosity -- assuring myself that I really did suggest the best notebook -- and the Dell you have remains the best deal I've come across to date. Purple or not, the specs and the price are hard to beat. And it came with Vista and not Win7, which may be a benefit, depending on your point of view.

So you did a good thing, grabbing it while available.

01-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Free Member

I'm using it as I type this actually, it's worked great so far. I'll be getting that external DVD burner tomorrow, so I'm excited to see how that will work with it.
I'm very pleased with the Passion Purple! Thanks for your great help as always