03-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

A few years ago (2007), WinRAR apparently gave out free registration keys as a promo of some sort. These were all over the place, given out by online magazines and various websites/blogs. I've attached both these files, WinRAR v3.5.1 installer, as well as the registration "key" file, inside a single ZIP file. This is the version I use on all of my computers.

Instructions:

Step 1: Install.
Double-clicking/executing the WinRAR Setup wrar351.exe file to setup.

Step 2: Register. Register the full legal non-trial version using the included key file:
  • For Windows XP: Double-click the rarreg.key file, and allow it to write the key data to your registry.
  • For Windows Vista/7: Copy the rarreg.key file to your C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming folder
Many of the attachments used on digitalFAQ.com, both the site guides and the forum, are archived inside RAR files.

Note: Although technically an "outdated" version of WinRAR, it still works perfectly fine. There are no security issues or stability issues with version 3.5.1 that I am aware of. If you want to buy a newer version, simply visit RARLab.com and do so. There is no upgrade discount, so you'll be paying the full price ($29). There are now 64-bit versions available, if you feel so inclined. The current version, as of September 2012, is v4.20.

Attached Files
File Type: zip WinRAR Setup wrar351.zip (952.7 KB, 553 downloads)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: cosmo61 (07-14-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
It appears that this promo is pre-Vista (and therefore also pre-7). The second step -- "Double-click the "rarreg.key" file, and allow it to write the key data to your registry." -- only works on Windows XP. Most serious video users should probably be using Windows XP anyway, as it continues to remain the strongest OS for a majority of the video tools -- freeware or payware -- currently in use and popular amongst consumers, hobbyists and professionals alike.

For Vista and Windows 7 users, WinRAR will remain in demo/trial mode, with the nag screen.
If anybody has information on how the key could be installed on a Vista or Win7 system, please post a reply.
-- See first post.

Just wanted to note this.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: cosmo61 (07-14-2011)
03-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

According to the help file, the key file should be stored in "%APPDATA%\WinRAR", since access to C:\Program Files is restricted in Vista/7. %APPDATA% is a system path, on Vista/7 machines it points to "C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming".
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: cosmo61 (07-14-2011), lordsmurf (10-02-2011)