Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Free Member

I've made a lot of DVDs, on my desktop by putting a capture card, hooking up my VCR to it, putting the video onto my computer, and making the DVD from there.

However, that computer is about 9 years old now, and it's become very slow suddenly, and I don't think that I'd be able to do video work on it anymore.

I'm pretty sure that I can't insert my capture card into my laptop, so is there any other way that I can hook my VCR to my laptop, so I can capture videos from VHS and put it onto my laptop?

If there is a way that I can do that, is there a certain program that I should use?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

You can use ATI 600usb it works flawlessly on my 7 yr old pc
04-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Free Member

you probably just have a bunch of garbage ware / malware on it
just do a nuke and pave and a fresh install of XPsp2 - XP it still the best OS for capture.
put only the drivers software what you need for video on it
just use that PC only for video - dont hook it up to the internet
the PC i use is all 10 year old tech
04-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Free Member

By a nuke, do you mean a full system recovery? It was just done not long ago actually...How would I do the fresh install of XP? That's actually what I have on there.
04-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Free Member

dont do a recovery - most OEM's fill the computer with a ton garbageware like norton and other crapola.(i always delete recovery partions on any computer i get )
format the hard drive and do a fresh install of XP SP2 off a DVD and dont do any updates whatsoever. in fact turn off windows update completely. dont connect to the internet with it and you wont have to worry about an security or anti virus crap anyway.
just install the drivers for you capture card/sound card etc
you can download xp Sp2 from pb or any torrent site
04-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Free Member

If the hdd is old, it is probably dying. RAM and HDD upgrades are the cheapest way to breathe new life into old computers, besides an old fashioned nuke.
04-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Free Member

I don't really know/understand much of these kinda things. How does one format the hard drive?
07-25-2014, 03:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Did you ever figure this out?

Formatting the hard drive is easy to do -- almost too easy, if you ask me (wipe your data! )

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs