Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Digital Devices

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Free Member

I'm looking for a device that can operate standalone (no computer), accept SD cards with MP3 files on them, and burn the MP3 to a standard (non-MP3) audio CD.

Kind of like this device, except it doesn't seem like this device will do standard audio CD's: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...E_EXT_DVD.html

The reason I want this is that my church owns a CD duplicator, and we're migrating from this workflow:

Wireless Mic+Audio CD Recorder ---> Duplicator for Audio CD Copies

To this workflow:

Handheld Recorder with MP3 on SD Card-->(Burner I'm Asking About)--->Duplicator for Audio CD Copies

The handheld (Tascam) recorder was donated as a Christmas gift to the church, so that's why I'm trying to make this awkward workflow happen. My pastor likes to take the master CD and make copies for people right after the service so they can take a copy with them, so getting a computer involved would make the process take too long to be worth it. (He's also not tech-savvy.) People also seem to like having standard Audio CD's as opposed to MP3 discs.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

Don't think I've ever seen a product that does this, likely due to the lack of demand (everything is moving away from discs these days).

An old PC running Linux can do the job. You need to write a script to pull the files off of the SD card and burn them directly to CD. The "cdrecord" program can handle the burning task, but only appears to handle 16bit 44.1khz WAV files directly, another command line utility to convert the files on the SD card to WAV would be needed.

Windows could be able to handle it, but would require research into software.
12-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I've often found the standalone devices don't have good ADC's. Not even as good as cheap computer sound cards.
The results? A crappy-sounding CD.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs