Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Copy DVDs, Duplicate, Replicate

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-05-2018, 09:11 PM
Free Member

I was wondering what folks are using to protect the inkjet faces of their discs, if anything.
On the 'net there is a spray, but it's a bit steep at $16 or more, I'm wondering if a $4 bottle of spray lacquer or similar product would be safe and effective.
There are smudge resistant discs on the market but they are also on the high end of pricing.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-06-2018, 05:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
That lacquer spray coat doesn't do anything to actually protect the disc, or increase longevity. The problem is the adhesive of the surface, and nothing can be done for it. If anything, the sprays can exacerbate destruction of the label layer, as chemical interact.

The spray coats were always to prevent water damage -- and supposedly "UV" type damage, but that also doesn't do anything). Nothing has prevented fading or long-term degradation of the inks.

The biggest issue with the spray is that those were like sticky labels, in that those can throw off the balance of the disc. So it's essentially "coaster spray", as it makes a good disc a coaster.

Those sprays were in the nonsense category of "DVD safe markers".

The entire "inkjet disc" market has collapsed in the 2010s, for the reasons I stated back in the 2000s.

If you do this, make sure it's just a "pretty" copy, not a master.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Free Member

My intent was to decrease smudging or bleeding if an inkjet printed disc was subjected to a liquid spill (water, Cap'n Morgan, etc). It appears a resounding "no" is the answer.

Tags
disc, label, spray, waterproof