Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Author, Make Menus, Slideshows, Burn

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-13-2007, 02:16 AM
Free Member

I am in the process of making a DVD and everything is ok except for the menu.

I have the text, background and frame set up for the menu, the problem is that I don't want the beginning of the movie to be the part seen in the frame, I want one of the chapters, but when I drop one of the chapter points into the frame to be displayed, when the movie starts, it starts at that chapter.

How do I get the menu frame to display a clip from the middle of the movie but when the movie starts, have it start at the beginning of the movie?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-13-2007, 04:39 AM
Free Member

Dont put your video in the first play box. Drag n drop one over. ( remove from first play )

Slide the chapter editing point bar up . Select where you want the video to start ( first frame) where you want it to end . That should do it.

Like this :

Leave first play empty . Edit your start & end frame points

Use LS DWS Safe Are Template for Ulead Menus. It comes in handy lol I can email it. You 've been at it for peons. Sooooooooo....scratch that. Ulead is tricky to get used to. You can do so much with it too. I never did figure how to add a gif into the menu. One feature it dont has. They should have done in my opinion.

The option to where you highlight the episode in text . To play different audio clips for each title to play in the same menu. Instead of creating duplicate sub menus... Maybe DWS3 lol

I m still newbie to Ulead. So if I m wrong. GreenRanger1 aka " Ulead Prince" , LS, mark , and Phil can tell you more
01-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Free Member

thanks, I'll give it a shot
01-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
What I do is make a smaller clip (edit in Womble or whatever), and import that separately, to be specifically used in the menu. Remember that this little clip is not added to the disc anyway, it is used by the software to encode the menu. Honestly, what I suggest is easier.

You need to time your menu items anyway, as there is a menu max running time of like 4 minutes and 18 seconds or so (it says, in seconds, in Ulead). You can add fades at the beginning and end of the smaller clips, customize them specifically for the menu. This is how professional DVDs are made, when you see thumbnails.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Free Member

I must have misunderstood wheezer . You mean like I did with the toys menu LS??? Have the clip in the first play bx . ( as Intro clip) set the time for 20 seconds. .. Once it finish playing the clip . It will automatically go to the Main Menu

That was time consuming . Not mention pain in the ass
Then again, I did use a quicktime file for the clip.
01-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Free Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

What I do is make a smaller clip (edit in Womble or whatever), and import that separately, to be specifically used in the menu. Remember that this little clip is not added to the disc anyway, it is used by the software to encode the menu. Honestly, what I suggest is easier.

You need to time your menu items anyway, as there is a menu max running time of like 4 minutes and 18 seconds or so (it says, in seconds, in Ulead). You can add fades at the beginning and end of the smaller clips, customize them specifically for the menu. This is how professional DVDs are made, when you see thumbnails.
I have a main menu that is displayed when the disc is inserted, I have the title of the movie and a window frame that is showing lets say a 15 second clip from the middle of the movie.

When the user highlights the motion menu frame (any text is unselectable)and the movie plays from the start.

I think I understand what you are trying to say LS, but how do I make the clip unplayable in the final disc?

If I make that the motion menu and the user selects that, isn't the clip going to be played instead of the movie?

EDIT: I know how to make menus in PS..but are there any decent menu templates already created for WS 2.0 that can be DL?

I have Photo Impact which has a special pack for just DVD menus that can be created for Ulead products but I am looking for some basic pre-made templates....thanks.
01-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Site Staff | Video

"If I make that the motion menu and the user selects that, isn't the clip going to be played instead of the movie? "

No. You'll drag and drop the clip onto the menu, into a thumbnail box. it'll only be on the menu (it will be embedded into the final encoded DVD menu, the clip will not actually exist anywhere on the disc, the clip you make is only a working file).

The storyboard (playlist) should reflect this. If not, remove the clip from the playlist, and it should still be on the menu.

If I had my main computer up, I could show you my files, but that computer is still boxed up for the most part. I've been using a laptop for 2 months now, and my software is only partially mirrored onto here.

There are no templates. If you really, really, really want some, and can wait a few more weeks, I can make you 2-3 templates based off what you want to see.

01-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Free Member

and he means reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally reeeeeally want one lol
01-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Free Member

thanks, I'll fudge around with it ans see what I can come up with.

don't sweat the menu templates, I can whip up a few with PS or Photo Impact...thanks for the offer.
01-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

I'd do Photoshop, forget PhotoImpact.