04-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

I just discovered that I can use one of the Blu-Ray files, that is rendered by TMPG-Enc Authoring Works 4, to make a DVD-R! Not all my friends and family have a Blu-Ray player and HD TV, so I often find myself trying to make them a DVD standard def version of a Blu-Ray disc they may want. I have been playing the Blu-Ray disc into my PC's capture card, then using that 352X480 or 720X480 file to make a standard DVD. Just for curiosity, I tried opening one of the files (the TS stream file) in the authored Blu-Ray files, still on my PC, with TAW-4, in its normal DVD authoriing mode, and it opened! I added my usual 5 minute spaced chapters, but didn't need to remove any commercials, etc., because I already had done that when I originally authored it for a BD disc. To my amazement, TAW-4 rendered the TD file to a MPG-2 720x480 file (along with the other rendered DVD files), which I burned to a standard DVD as usual. This will save so much time! And, believe me, I'm encouraging my friends a relatives to get BD when they can. Ironically, some of them already have HD TVs; they just don't have a BD player, which is a fraction of the cost they paid for the TV! If I could, I'd buy BD players for them myself, just to save my time. But at least, it takes MUCH less time to make a DVD version of a BD disc, so that's worth celebrating!!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I wonder how it looks compared to manually encoding it to MPEG-2, either in TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 or another encoder.
That includes the free MPEG-2 encoding available in Avidemux.

Get all your relatives to buy a Samsung BD-D5700 -- it's excellent, lots of features (Netflix, MLB, Hulu Plus, media from flash drive, etc).
Very cheap from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B004N85YB0

DVD still look pretty darn good on an HDTV -- especially if you have a nice TV.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Premium Member

Well, I just watched part of a DVD-R I made using a BD TS file, and it looks perfect; sharp as can be. Will have to check out the Samsung BD-D5700.
04-03-2012, 03:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
You'll have to send me a sample of the DVD conversion sometime.

What brand of blank Blu-ray media are you currently using?

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Will be glad to send you BD and DVD samples soon!
Using Optical Quantum BDs... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B004VSA7GO
04-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I have some of those. What's the media ID on those blank BD-Rs?
Did you buy them online, or at Microcenter?

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
04-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

I didn't know about Media ID. When I choose the drive that has a blank Optical Quantum BD, using ImgBurn, it says: BD Disc Information: Disc ID: PHILIP-R04-000. Is that it, or is there another method to find the Media ID for the disc? I've checked a few websites, but am not sure I have a program that will tell me that data.

--- merged ---

Per http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=19698, they list MID: PHILIP-R04-000, so I'm thinking MID is Media Identification, and so that's the accurate MID for my Optical Quantum BDs.
04-04-2012, 04:52 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Yep, PHILIP-R04-000 is a media ID.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.