06-06-2007, 05:06 AM
Free Member

Full screen vs Widescreen

Quote:
You saw more of the picture on the old FULLSCREEN VHS tapes because they were NOT 'masked' with the black bars. That is picture information that was NOT projected in the theatre and was never meant to be in the composition. Hence the reason you will see "boom mic's" occasionally. That screen info wasn't meant to be seen.

There are TWO types of Widescreen.

Matted and TRUE Widescreen.

Matted is what Misfit Toy describes.....that is for films shot in 1:85:1 format....also called standard format.

True Widescreen (or cinemascope, or panavision) is 2:35:1 or wider. If the black bars are not applied to the home video version, you will lose HALF (HALF!!!) of the picture that was shot on film.

4:3 and 16:9 are aspect ratios for television and have nothing to do with film or how the movie was shot.

Plain and simple....if the movie was SHOT IN A WIDESCREEN PROCESS like panavision, cinemascope, tohoscope, ect.....you will lose HALF OF THE PICTURE if not letterboxed. Period.

I defy you to watch a classic horror widescreen movie like ALIEN or SUSPIRIA is fullscreen mode and have it NOT LOOK like a steaming bunch of garbage. Everything streched out.....people offscreen talking....no focus.

Garbage that is.

I hate widescreen. I ve been butting heads with this guy over the downfall of Widescreen.

bring back Beta
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I like widescreen. Although I do a 1.5x zoom usually, which is halfway between the true 16:9 (or wider) and the fullscreen. I want to see more of the content. On my current tv sets, I often forget anything is masked, because the sets have black matte front fascia.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Free Member

I was trying to explain to him how there are some reeeally bad widescreen versions of movies & Tv series. How its sometimes cropped .

Especially the older stuff from the late 70's & 80's .

I have a version of Phantom of The Park. It's cropped to hell...
06-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Fullscreen vs widescreen is a complicated topic.

I want the full image, as originally intended.

- I don't need my tv "full" of image. That's silly. You lose image, and sometimes story.
- I don't want to see on-screen boom microphones and power lines, because the fullscreen was shot with the intention of being matted.
- I don't want a double-matted piece, where the original was cropped to fullscreen, and then re-matted back to widescreen with even more picture now gone.

Just give me the picture as originally intended. If I want a "full screen", I can always zoom in with my DVD player. And like I said, one some of those super-skinny widescreens, I usually go in 1.5x, which is still wide with bars, but not so tiny I can't see it.

I really don't have any idea what you're talking about, to be honest. But that's my take on widescreen and fullscreen.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-07-2007, 01:25 AM
Free Member

CP, nuff said.