Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-19-2018, 05:38 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I know this has been explained on the forum once before (at least), but I'll gladly do it again!

Region coding and video format are two separate concepts.

Region coding is an artificial scheme invented by studios to try and control where videos can be watched in the world. Most video collectors consider this to be a kind of "scam" (maybe not by the legal definition, but BS all the same). It's done to control prices, and to control licensing (which is all about money, too). Some of my favorite shows, for example, are only sold in Australia and UK. It seems you're in the same situation.

The world is divided up in "regions". Region 1, for example, is most of North America. Region 2 is UK, Japan and most of Europe. Region 4 is Australia. A full map of regions is available from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

Attachment 565

The way to "get around" region coding is to either:
  1. Modify the disc -- make it "Region 0", or add/remove all regions to make it "All-Region" or "Region All" (1-8)
  2. Modify the player -- make it a "region free" player
Whether or not your player can be modified depends on the make and model. Some can, some cannot. Most modifications, or "hacks" as some people call it, is done by simply accessing hidden menus put there by the manufacturer. Because most all DVD players are now made for worldwide use, the hidden menus control how the machine behave for the country where its being sold. In other cases, it requires updating the firmware that has been modified by "hackers" (term used loosely, it's just basic code alterations).

Modifying the disc is as easy as ripping it, and selecting the "remove region coding" option in the software. DVD Decrypter is one of many that can do this.

Video format is the difference in how video is encoded. The biggest difference in the digital era is the resolution and frames per second. NTSC is 29.97fps or 23.976fps at an x480 or x240 resolution, while PAL is 25fps at an x576 or x288 resolution.

Again, because DVD players are now mostly made for worldwide use -- cheaply made in places like China -- they play all standard DVD-Video MPEG formats, both audio and video.

Simply put a region-free PAL DVD in a player bought in the USA (NTSC player), and I bet it will work just fine. Players made in Japan tend to be the only ones made for NTSC only, as Japan is an NTSC country that often only markets to itself and USA/Canada.

Your UK discs will be PAL, possibly Region 2. However, I work with studios in Europe quite a bit these days, and a lot of their releases are Region 0. It really just depends on what it is, who made it, etc.
Hi there
I fully appreciate that this thread is very old (3178 days) but I firmly believe that I have a valid comment to make or add to the mix.
As you are a US company with contacts in the UK you will be fully aware of these details but some of your readers may not be.
>
US = 120V, UK = 240V
US = 60 Hz, UK = 50 Hz
>
Notwithstanding the voltage it is more the frequency that I am concerned with, I will explain.
I have read somewhere that the difference in cycles per second between UK & US i.e. UK DVD's will spin up on a US DVD player but the image portrayed on the television screen will at best be distorted and at worst unrecognisable.
This article went onto say no matter what converters you use between player and television or re-burning a new DVD the output on the television will still be the same.
The reason for my reply to this thread is the O.P then the comprehensive reply that followed.
To finish off;
I have just purchased a box set of “Doc Martin” DVD’s region code 2 PAL.
On the jewel case it states “disc formats” X10 DVD9: dual layer single sided disc.
Feature aspect ratio 16:9 (original aspect ratio 1.78.1) Widescreen version.
These DVD’s are for my fiancée who lives in Houston which as you are aware is region code 1.
My fiancée has a television and a standalone DVD player obviously these are all set up for region code 1 and successfully plays DVD’s etc.
So you can fully understand my consternation.

I look forward to your comments.

Kind regards

Tony
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors