01-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Free Member

Hi, I'm looking for a 32gb memory card for this video camera:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-PMWEX1R/

but the trouble is that memory cards from the manufacturer (for this camera) are way too expensive (almost 600$). So, I wold like to know if there is other brands of memory cards i could use with this camera (for compatibility sake) that are less expensive (but with good quality).

Thanks to answer as ASAP, please.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Unfortunately, no.

The SxS Pro and SxS-1 memory cards are Sony proprietary technology, and as such, they can basically charge whatever the want, unimpeded by market forces. This is unlike non-proprietary formats such as SD/SDHC or CompactFlash, where third parties are allowed to create the flash disks.

The best you can do is shop around for the best prices. I would highly suggest B&H for this:
Sony SBP-32 32GB SxS PRO Memory Card: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166
Sony SxS-1 G1A 32GB Memory Card: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166

The SxS Pro is $786 while the SxS-1 is $583
Remember that the camera itself cost about $6,300 (B&H list price), or possibly even more ($7,790 MSRP by Sony). When it comes to professional camera gear, still photography or video, the camera body itself is maybe 25-50% of the total cost -- and that's for a small setup. Lenses, storage/media, lighting, storage -- these things all quickly add up, and each carry somewhat hefty pricing on their own.

The only way to save money on a memory card here would be to seek out some shady unknown unauthorized Chinese product, or find a used card on eBay. However, neither of these are solutions that I would suggest, as memory cards are relatively cheap, and are the single most important part of your project. Nothing sucks more than losing all your photos or footage, because you opted for the cheap crap card, or somebody well-used/abused leftover cards. All of a sudden, in that situation, paying even 2x the price would seem like a bargain, faced with a redo (if it's even possible, which often is not the case).

You're basically stuck paying for ~$600 range for 32GB, for this XDCAM camera.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs