03-14-2009, 01:23 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

from e-mail...
Quote:
Hi - I noticed SONY16D1 (Media ID) falls in both the Class 1 and Class 2 sections. I buy Sony DVD-R 50 spindle that says it's made in Taiwan. How do find out if it is Daxon or Lead Data? Your response would be greatly appreciated as I am confused by this and don't know if I am buying Class 1 or Class 2 media. Great Site by the way! Very informative.
Sony Daxon-made media from Taiwan ... and the no-longer-made Taiyo Yuden manufactured media from Japan ... have been excellent media in most drives, all the way to 12x-16x burn speeds, for a majority of users. These discs are almost always branded in Sony packaging, and sold both in big-box stores (Target, Best Buy, etc) and online (Amazon.com, Newegg, Meritline).

Daxon-made Sony from Malaysia tends to be terrible for most folks.

LeadData-made Sony media is usually not sold under the Sony brand nam
e, in Sony packaging, from my experiences. I've not found any evidence to the contrary to date, nor has anybody that contributes to this site's media guides. The one person whom I attempted to speak with at LeadData was a really rude ****** so the manufacturer was a dead-end too. The few times I've seen confirmed LeadData media, it was sold under the Fry's GQ brand name.

Hopefully that is of some help to you.

If you're worried about the quality of Sony, feel free to use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden instead. The occasional sale aside, Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden is often sold for better prices anyway.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-17-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-21-2009, 06:12 AM
Free Member

I have been using both Sony DVD-R and Sony DVD+R DL's, and they both sport "Accucore" technology, but are made by Sony Taiwan and by Ritek, respectively. It looks like this "Accucore" means nothing. True?

Last edited by Katherine Turney; 04-21-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: misspelling
The following users thank Katherine Turney for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-17-2011)
04-21-2009, 03:30 PM

"AccuCore" is the sub-branding from Sony. It means nothing, correct. It's an attempt to make the discs sound more special. It's a marketing ploy, nothing more. You'll notice that you never see non-AccuCore media, or discs with some other fancy name.

Sony DVD+R DL media is primarily manufactured by Ritek, correct. It is not very good media, as compared to Verbatim DVD+R DL that is manufactured by Mitsubishi.

There is not a "Sony Taiwan" for manufacturing. What you have there are discs manufactured to Sony specs by Daxon Taiwan. No worries, those are excellent Sony-ID discs.

04-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
"AccuCore" is the sub-branding from Sony. It means nothing, correct. It's an attempt to make the discs sound more special. It's a marketing ploy, nothing more. You'll notice that you never see non-AccuCore media, or discs with some other fancy name.

Sony DVD+R DL media is primarily manufactured by Ritek, correct. It is not very good media, as compared to Verbatim DVD+R DL that is manufactured by Mitsubishi.

There is not a "Sony Taiwan" for manufacturing. What you have there are discs manufactured to Sony specs by Daxon Taiwan. No worries, those are excellent Sony-ID discs.
Thank you so much. I'll stick with Verbatim!
The following users thank Katherine Turney for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-17-2011)
05-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Free Member

Thank you for explaining. I had the same question in mind and it is very hard to get genuine Verbatim media where I live and I have never seen a TY media. SONY on the other hand is readily available and the cost of the DVD5 -R media are not that high. These are all White SONY branded discs available in 100s/ 50s spindle. I have checked and the burn qualities are also excellent about 98-99% mostly.
The following users thank SRoyC for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-17-2011)
05-12-2009, 08:55 AM

If you don't mind me asking, what is the general area where you live, and at what stores are you finding the discs? That might give help and hope to others in your area, should they read this post.

05-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Free Member

Nothing to mind actually... (though sometimes I prefer to hide my location to avoid undue ( or hidden) bias due to my location and hence... (you know what I mean)

I live in India, city Kolkata (erstwhile Calcutta). These discs are the only SONY branded discs available in my City (as far as my knowledge goes), though I buy from Chandni Chowk, the central market place for electronics goods and PC peripherals.

Thanks again for your post.
The following users thank SRoyC for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-17-2011)

Tags
blank dvd, daxon, leaddata, sony