Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

I have been looking at TV's online & mom & dad have said a 42in TV would be best, with an eye on Sony LCDs. They have left it all up to me to figure out what is best to get. Since neither of them are tech minded.They are sort from the analog era of the 1970's & 1980's, all my mom knows is tube TV with antenna with free over the air signals, & VCR. I am pretty much the same since I have not had anybody in my home to show me new tech. just giving anybody here this background info to know where we are coming from for explanations.

My concern is how would it be connected to our PC.

The PC closest to the living room & that would be closest to the TV is our 2004 Dell PC with windows XP service pack 2. It is a little older, so it only has 1 VGA connection for a monitor, & an audio line out. It does not have dedicated graphics, & or a video/audio card. All it's on board video & audio is integrated. It is also located in the kitchen. Nor does it have any wi-fi, it has a wired connection on it, with modem wired to an Ethernet switch of which my mac is connected in my bedroom.

How would we hook up or enable the HDTV in the living room to have access to the internet, mom & dad would like to be able to surf the internet on the big screen from their couches.

I looked around on amazon & can only find 40 inch Sony LCD's. I saw this one; http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KD...6921345&sr=8-1

we would also have a converter box, antenna,VCR & DVD player hooked up as well. another thing I have to consider is volume, parents are hard of hearing, the tube TV is often cranked up because they have a hard time hearing sounds.

I read that standard def TV does not look good on the newer HDTV's, but we do not have cable or satellite with HD, we just have standard def, but we are faced with replacing out dying tube TV, so it seems everything has moved to flat widescreen TV's.

which online merchant would be best o get a TV from if we buy one online? I did read one bad review on amazon saying the Sony TV they bought, arrived in a dented box, & the screen did not work, since it was traveling on a truck that was going through Palm Springs CA, the TV got overheated in the delivery truck. I want to avoid something like this.

Last edited by Sossity; 09-24-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
with an eye on Sony LCDs.
Good choice of brand -- Sony doesn't really make a bad HDTV. Other brands, however, do.

Quote:
They are sort from the analog era of the 1970's & 1980's, all my mom knows is tube TV with antenna with free over the air signals, & VCR. I am pretty much the same since I have not had anybody in my home to show me new tech. just giving anybody here this background info to know where we are coming from for explanations.
Things haven't really changed. Televisions are bigger, flatter, with clearer images. Aside from that, not much is different.

There has been an evolution in connectivity:
- Well into the 1980s, everything was coaxial "RF" only. Your parents probably remember this.
- Then came composite. Then s-video. This was in the 80s/90s (mostly 90s).
- Then component was added. Around the same time came VGA and DVI connections. Most of that is from the early/mid 2000s.
- Right now, we're on HDMI, commonly found starting the late 2000s.
- In the future, who knows? I'm sure several competing connection types are in R&D.

Some televisions come with built-in features. That's not new, however. I remember Magnavox televisions from the 1970s that came with Pong integrated. There were was the TV + VCR, and later the TV + DVD player. These days, you'll get an HDTV + USB + online apps (Netflix, etc).

Quote:
My concern is how would it be connected to our PC.
it only has 1 VGA connection for a monitor, & an audio line out.
Nor does it have any wi-fi
Connect with VGA and line-in stereo mini audio, if available on the new TV. If not available, you'll need a converter.
For example, this: HDMI to Composite /S-Video Converter 3RCA CRT TV CVBS
It's $50 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0047PDBP0

That takes care of video, but leaves audio connections as a problem. You need a mini-to-RCA audio wire converter.
Get this for under $5: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00004Z5CP

That takes care of that.

Quote:
How would we hook up or enable the HDTV in the living room to have access to the internet, mom & dad would like to be able to surf the internet on the big screen from their couches.
The internet part? You need a wifi card in the computer, or you'll have to drop wires where needed. Otherwise you cannot connect it. There's just no way around that. The computer will have to be moved next to the TV in order to use it as an "HTPC" (home theatre PC). It can't stay in the kitchen and magically transmit audio/video/web to the HDTV in the living room. You'll also want a wireless mouse and keyboard, as well as some kind of padded lap table to use as a mousepad.

Quote:
I looked around on amazon & can only find 40 inch Sony LCD's.
See my post here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/home...html#post17465
There's an awesome deal on a 46" Sony LCD right now, only $728 + free shipping (+tax in certain states)

Quote:
we would also have a converter box, antenna,VCR & DVD player hooked up as well. another thing I have to consider is volume, parents are hard of hearing, the tube TV is often cranked up because they have a hard time hearing sounds.
You can always add a set of cheap speakers. In fact, you can add speakers, and then wire them to be set closer to their chairs. Better yet, consider wireless speakers. They can put them right next to their eardrums!
These are cheap, at $85: http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-Acous...6926632&sr=1-8

Quote:
I read that standard def TV does not look good on the newer HDTV's, but we do not have cable or satellite with HD, we just have standard def, but we are faced with replacing out dying tube TV, so it seems everything has moved to flat widescreen TV's.
Nope, not good at all. Old standard definition video was full of noise and errors which were hidden by the low resolution of the TV. The newer high-resolution screens show not just "more detail", but all of the noise in its full glory! The benefit of Sony HDTVs is that they come full of filters which greatly reduce noise on broadcast signals, DVDs and tapes. So that's not going to be a problem, if you're going Sony.

which online merchant would be best o get a TV from if we buy one online?

Quote:
I did read one bad review on amazon saying the Sony TV they bought, arrived in a dented box, & the screen did not work, since it was traveling on a truck that was going through Palm Springs CA, the TV got overheated in the delivery truck. I want to avoid something like this.
It sounds to me like somebody was crying in a review. If the TV arrived broken, it's not like Amazon.com pointed a figure and said "haha, sorry sucker!" Pretty much every reliable merchant selling televisions is going to guarantee it not arrived DOA (dead on arrival). And if it does, they replace it, at their cost. They pay to pick it up and send you a new one. It's honestly not an issue.

Good merchants include:
I would buy an HDTV from any of those stores without fear. (And I have, FYI. As have many others online.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-25-2011, 04:47 AM
Premium Member

So the only way for the TV to connect to the internet would be through a wifi router? does the TV have some sort of built in receiver to get the wifi signal? if not this way, do HDTV's have Ethernet ports to connect to a wired network?

From what I gather, the TV would connect to the PC with the cables you mentioned, the TV would then act as a monitor, but how would it get the internet signal?

& when the TV is acting as the monitor, would I have to disconnect the computer monitor that is currently connected to the PC?

so if someone wanted to use the computer, with the internet, & others wanted to watch over the air TV, would the cables connecting the PC to the TV have to be disconnected & hooked back up to the computer so the computer could be used with it's monitor?

for the cables, would an HDMI to VGA converter work? to connect TV & computer?

Last edited by Sossity; 09-25-2011 at 05:03 AM.
09-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
So the only way for the TV to connect to the internet would be through a wifi router?
Usually, yes.

Quote:
does the TV have some sort of built in receiver to get the wifi signal?
Yes.

Quote:
if not this way, do HDTV's have Ethernet ports to connect to a wired network?
Some do, some don't. I've not seen a wired option in a long time -- a couple of years (2009).

Quote:
From what I gather, the TV would connect to the PC with the cables you mentioned, the TV would then act as a monitor, but how would it get the internet signal?
The computer has to have it's own internet connection. The TV's connection is only for he TV services (Youtube, Hulu, whatever).

Quote:
& when the TV is acting as the monitor, would I have to disconnect the computer monitor that is currently connected to the PC?
Yes. Assuming the computer doesn't have multiple output options (and most do not).

Quote:
so if someone wanted to use the computer, with the internet, & others wanted to watch over the air TV, would the cables connecting the PC to the TV have to be disconnected & hooked back up to the computer so the computer could be used with it's monitor?
Yes.

Think of the TV as a really big monitor -- and as nothing more.

You can always build/buy another computer for cheap, if needed. If somebody only wants to browse the web, for example, a Linux box could be built from scraps. At this point in time, even Windows XP would run a lot of what qualifies as scraps (single core Pentiums and AMD systems). It all depends on what you could buy, or salvage from friends/family. I once found a computer dumped by the street, pitched out for trash day. I recycled it for myself, taking all good parts and sticking them in a new $25 case -- worked great!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

So from what I gather so far, the computer will need a wifi router hooked up to it, which it does not right now, it is purely wired to a modem & Ethernet switch. unless the HDTV we get has an Ethernet port.

to prevent having to connect & disconnect the monitor from computer to TV all the time, would I get a VGA splitter? like this? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...x=vga+splitter
so both computer monitor & TV could be hooked up at the same time? although I am not sure if this would work since the computer has only integrated graphics.

& to connect the TV & computer video cable could I use something like this? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...o+hdmi+adapter

would it take care of audio as well? as I thought HDMI carried both video & audio. I thought the single cable vga to HDMI cable would be cleaner as it is just one cable.