Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Premium Member

I notice that many digicams with video capabilities today, shoot either H.24 or something like this, forgot the exact name, AVHCD, or .mov movie files.

Specifically for me, I have a Panasonic lumix DMC ZS7 & it shoots .mov movie files.

Some background into my foray into digital video; I know it is long but if anybody takes the time to read through it, it is important as it will help one to understand what I really need & am asking, & have been needing help with for awhile.

My situation is ever since I 1st got a digital still camera with video capabilities, It used to be a nice novelty, I had a Sony cybershot digital still camera that shot .mpg vx movie files. I would shoot video of things, & because my parents DVD player would only play commercial or a DVD in MPG2 format, this meant that I would have to convert all the movies shot with the Sony into this format. They were anxious & wanted to see the footage right away & from the comfort of the couch & TV set.

As a result, I got into video editing, & they came to like the fancy DVD videos I made from when our 1st DVD player would only play DVD videos, that I sort of got trapped or pressured into making a polished DVD video for all footage shot with the digital still camera. Family came to expect me to do this for nearly all footage shot.

We have since had a newer DVD player that would play the raw .mpg movie files off the Sony camera, this was a big relief for me as I was getting overwhelmed with video projects, when family would bring back the camera with footage that they wanted me to convert & make a polished DVD video with titles etc, the works.

And after some conflict with family over doing DVDs all the time, I just don't have time to make a fancy DVD out of every bit of footage that they take with the cameras, there are other things I want to do. So it has worked out, they are happy to just get raw footage, so they can at least view the material straight away. It has worked out that I just download the raw footage or the .mpg movie files off the Sony memory cards, & use image burn to burn the files to a blank DVD to playback in the DVD player. The DVD player can play these discs, & I am relieved of the burden of having to go into a video editor & try to make video DVDs & long complex conversions. Family often just watches the footage one time & then the DVD gets shuffled away, I got frustrated at how no one seemed to understand the time it takes to make a DVD video.

Well now, I have this Panasonic camera that shoots in .mov format, of which our current DVD player will not play. I would be faced with having to doing long conversions & video editing again if family got a hold of this camera for video. I have been pressured to shoot some video with it, & I told them that I dont have time to do the converting so the .mov footage would play on their DVD player, & so this created some conflict. So I have kept to the older sony cybershots, yes they shoot just 640 x 480 video, it is not fancy HD or anything, but the biggie for me is that it uses the easy to deal with .mpg format.

I have ended up at times taking the sony still camera with it's .mpg movie mode so if I end up shooting video, at least I will be able to burn the movie files right away without the hassle of conversions. I prefer the Panasonic as it has a good 12x optical zoom, & I am more focused on the photography, but I cannot exclude the video for family still likes it.

So finally to my question, are there any really truly multiformat DVD players that can playback almost any format? like .mov from my Panasonic & the newer formats that cameras use for their video formats these days?

If I could find one that would playback the raw .mov files from my Panasonic camera, I could just carry it with me all the time, instead of having to sometimes carry around 2 cameras; one for good photos in a compact high zoom camera, & one for easy video format, in my case the sony cybershots for their .mpg movie mode.

I also tried something on my computer; I went into the .mov files from the Panasonic & renamed the file extension from .mov to .mpg, & they seemed to play fine, would this make them playable on a DVD player?

Last edited by Sossity; 07-01-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Not DVD players, no. However there may be some Blu-ray players or media centers (WDTV, Roku, etc) that can do this.

Shoot a quick little clip. Like 2 seconds worth, which should be less than 16MB for sure.
Then upload the small sample clip to the forum. I'll run it through a Samsung Blu-ray player, as well as a WDTV, and see what happens.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-02-2012, 05:10 AM
Premium Member

I tried to upload the clip but I got an error message saying invalid file.
Does the blueray player have a user guide which will say the file types it will play?
07-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The your sample inside of a zip or rar file.

Then upload that.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
07-03-2012, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

Here is my zip file for a 2nd try, to see playback compatibility

Attached Files
File Type: zip 120702.mov.zip (8.26 MB, 1 downloads)
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The .mov file does not play on an original WDTV.
The model shown here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001JZFQU4
So there's one device down.

I do wonder if it would play re-wrapped inside of an MP4 or MKV container, instead of the crummy Quicktime container.
Because it does support HD, MPEG-2 and H.264.

Update:

This file is an MJPEG with PCM audio in a Quictime MOV container. It's not AVCHD. And the video does play re-wrapped as AVI. The audio is unsupported, however. The audio would need to be re-encoded. I used Avidemux to re-wrap and re-encode the audio. Long video editing or video re-encoding would not be required. Only semi-fast re-wrap and audio re-encode. So there's one option.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
07-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

Will it play on a blue ray player? someone mentioned a model of blue ray player they had.

would the files like the one I uploaded be able to play if I changed the file extension to .mpg? would that make it compatible with DVD players?

This is the reason why I have stayed with the sony cybershots that shoot with the 640 x 480 mpg movie mode, it seems to be compatible.

but I would like to know if my Panasonic that shoots AVCHD lite & .mov movie files can be played on something like a blue ray player.

the odd thing was, the Panasonic can shoot in AVCHD lite, & I tried a 2 sec movie file in this, but when I plugged my sd card into the reader into my photo uploading software & looking at the sd card in finder, the movie did not even show up, as though I had not taken it, but it showed up on the camera.
07-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Had it been AVCHD, there's a chance it would have played.

However, this is MJPEG with PCM audio in a Quicktime container. Such movie files are made for editing, not watching.

Renaming the file won't accomplish anything. It's still MJPEG, PCM and Quicktime, regardless of right/wrong filename.

As an added note, Quicktime containers have notorious low support, with MP4 (MPEG-4) and MKV (Matroska) containers being widely supported. Even AVI or M2TS files are often acceptable, for AVCHD files. Generally speaking, you want to use both codecs and containers with widespread support.

You'll have to shoot video with a different camera, in order to gain watch-ready videos.

The various 5000-series models of Samsung Blu-ray players would have been great on an AVCHD file.
Several to choose from http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_en...ch-alias%3Daps

... again, if you actually had AVCHD, in a normal/expected container .... which you unfortunately do not.

07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

can any of those linked blue ray players be connected to a tube TV? we do not have a modern flat screen TV, but still have the old school tube TV's.

now that I think about it, my mom is having trouble just connecting a standard DVD player to the 19 inch tube TV we have now. It seems to lack enough hook ups on it.

_____

Camera question moved here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/phot...long-zoom.html
Thanks, -LS

Last edited by lordsmurf; 07-11-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Split out dupe of other thread. Thanks, -LS
07-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Q: Can any of those linked blue ray players be connected to a tube TV?
A: Yes, sort of.

You may need some kind of converter box, because Blu-ray players all have HDMI and component out, while old TV sets have composite, coax, and sometimes s-video in. Aside from this, a Blu-ray player isn't much different from a DVD player. The HDMI-to-composite (and s-video) adapter cost about $40. Example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0047PDBP0

DVD players need the same sort of switch box on truly ancient (or crappy) SD TV sets.

If the TV is really old, you might even have to chain adapters: HDMI to composite, then composite to coax. Two converter boxes.
Persona thought: At some point, it's almost cheaper to by a newer (and likely larger) non-sucky TV.