09-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Free Member

http://tinyurl.com/8wgew

Which one of these Plasma tvs would you recommend??

I am looking at 42 inches and above. I just want your opinion. A friend that works at Wal-Mart says they just got in a 42 inch model he didnt remember what type but it was $1800.00 and change for it.

He said it is so clear it beats anything out there.

What are your opinions??

-- merged --

Here is the one I am planning on getting. I went to Wal-mart and my friend brought me in back this is the one they have in the back right now its just not outdue to to much clearance stuff and the in-store cost is $1998.00 once I have they money my friend is going to check with his manager and see if I can get the online price in-store.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4172365

Here are the specs:

Viore 42" Widescreen Plasma Additional Information:

* Giant 42" widescreen display delivers stunning home theater for a surprisingly low price
* The latest plasma technology for a picture with rich color and amazing contrast
* Built-in rear speakers
* Comes with sleek, ultra-sturdy stand
* HDTV ready; requires a set-top box, purchased separately, to receive HD (high definition) signals
* Includes NTSC TV tuner; requires a set-top box, purchased separately, to receive HD
(high definition)signals
* Widescreen (16:9) ratio for the true big picture
* 1024 x 1024 resolution
* 2000:1 contrast ratio (I personally think this sounds good, Im not sure what it is but 2,000 to 1 must be good heh.)
* 1000 cd/m2 brightness
* ED and HD compatible: 480p, 720p, 1080i
* PC support: VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA, UXGA
* Component video input: RCA x2
* S-video input: DIN 4 pin x1
* Analog VGA input: D-Sub 15 pin x1
* DVI input
* 5W x 5W built-in rear speakers for a clean, uncluttered look
* View angle: 160-degrees H/V
* 16.7 million colors possible
* Satin silver finish
* Size, with stand: 41"W x 3.5"D x 28"H; size, w/out stand: 41"W x 3.5"D x 25.2"H
* Weight: 77.2 lbs

Patience is a virtue, but when dealing with a Panasonic a sledge hammer would be so much faster.......
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I know somebody that is a bit of a tv expert, and works professionally in the video business (one of many that I come into contact with on a regular basis).

This is his response to my question on what a good tv would be right now...

Quote:
quote:
a hd crt 34" wide screen is the sweet spot ... a toshiba is the best bet ..

best picture vs. price (no lcd or dlp can touch this)

larger crt is nice for bigger pic - but heavy like sin ..

i would go next to a dlp rear screen set up -- lots to chose from .. some good buys now .. but latest models still pricey as they use the latest ultra high contrast ratio chips .. importaint to get as high as res as possable as scaling on any digital panel gets you banding and dot crawl etc .. some much less than others ..

true HDTV resolution plasma i would pick next...
Research problems with LCD and plasma systems. Some of them blow out in around a year, and you are often out of warranty, left with a very expensive space waster.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Free Member

Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
You don't have to worry about burn in on CRTs as they are tube based sets. LS is right about the larger ones being heavy, did some research when I was looking for my set, was looking at the specs for the sony sets and couldn't believe how much they weighed (i believe the largest CRT they make is either 38 or 40 inches, bigger than that and the screens have a tendancy to crack when being formed or so I've heard). With CRTs you don't have to worry about being directly in front of the screen to see the tv, as some other types have certain viewing limitations from different angles. I try to decide how far my couch/chair is from my viewing area and stand that far from the particular set I'm looking at as this will give you an idea of what it will look like from your normal viewing distance, then stand from side to side and see how much the pitcure fades.

I've got the Panasonic TH-42PD25U, its an EDTV (Enhanced Definition), not true HDTV, but you really couldn't tell as I don't have a high definition tuner, I bought mine mainly for watching dvds. If you do go this route, I would invest in a progresive scan dvd player, if you haven't already.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...62244?v=glance

and I couldn't be more happier with it. I will warn you though, some of the lesser quality dvd-r sets out there, you'll notice the flaws alot more on a plasma screen tv, not sure if this is the same with the DPL or the CRTs. Also, be sure that the size you want is the size you 'need', Crutchfield has a guide on their site for the viewing distance from your set, you can easily get too large a set for your room and 'overpowering' your room with too big a set. I've noticed the LG sets, they look really nice at a glance, not sure about the specs though as they weren't really that big when I bought my set.
09-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Free Member

Sorry battle7 you lost me what is CRT, did I miss read something on this TV or missed it LOL.

I had heard about possible burn on these plasma tvs due to having the tvs in 4:3 as itll have black horizonal bars on the sides or something.

So this model Im interested in, in the second post, does it sound good or not??

Brent

Patience is a virtue, but when dealing with a Panasonic a sledge hammer would be so much faster.......
09-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Free Member

Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
CRT is your standard tube based monitor, its isn't a slim case like plasma, it's like a normal flat screen tv set but in HDTV that doesn't get the burn in as bad like plasma or the other hd sets. It uses a tube like your standard tv but capable of producing a higher definition.

CRTs
http://hometheater.about.com/cs/tele...arearprotv.htm

Plasma
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/plasma-display.htm

DLP
http://www.tvauthority.com/dlp/dlp_tv.asp?dept=42

Plasma is good, but special care is needed in not geting burn in, such as the black bars in 4:3 mode as in not watching it in this mode for very long so it doens't get burn in, same for tv channels such as espn, cnn, weather channel, any channel that has a static (non moving) image in it for a long period of time, plasma tvs have many little cells/pockets of gas, if an image stays on the tv too long and doens't change, the pocket of gas gets too hot and causes a permanent image to be seen on the screen which is called 'burn in'. I normally watch tv in 'Full Screen' mode, it streches the pic a bit, but not enough to really notice it.
It's not reccomended to play video games on them as well,as power bars or meters that are a constant image could cause burn in as well.
My particular set is capable of being hooked up to a computer and being used as a monitor, there is a setting in the menu for when used like this, to dim the tv down, but I've never tried it.
09-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Free Member

Is this going to be used for normal tv watching and used all the time? or is it mostly for movie watching dvds? For my theater (which will get most of its use for movies) I decided to go with a front projector. The screen pulls down from the ceiling in front of the regualr HDTV. Way cheaper going this route, and my screen size is 106", 16:9. Plus it is driven by a HTPC with a hauppage PVR-350 so I can watch tv on it as well. Just a thought.
09-14-2005, 05:15 AM
Free Member

Yeah it would be used for everything, recording, watching movies etc. I think ive heard of those screens, I have seen kits on ebay I believe where you build a lens or something and have your tv behind it or whatever.

Brent

09-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Free Member

No, that kit on Ebay is junk. Does not work, and is worthless. I meant I actually purchased a LCD Front Projector and placed the screen in position to pull down from the ceiling right in front of the regular tv. Anyway, it sounds like that solution won't work for you anyway
09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Free Member

So would I run unto any screen burn problems say if I went with this:

http://tinyurl.com/as5j8
or
http://tinyurl.com/b63lt
or
http://tinyurl.com/7e3ex

-- merged --

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tcel93

Is this going to be used for normal tv watching and used all the time? or is it mostly for movie watching dvds? For my theater (which will get most of its use for movies) I decided to go with a front projector. The screen pulls down from the ceiling in front of the regualr HDTV. Way cheaper going this route, and my screen size is 106", 16:9. Plus it is driven by a HTPC with a hauppage PVR-350 so I can watch tv on it as well. Just a thought.
Hey Tcel93,

I am leaning towards this option now. What type tv should I get, what type screen to get around your size etc. So all I need is the tv behind the screen or how do I set it up. i also notice you can get you screens like you menytioned and then a projector to attach to your tv so you can have whatever size theater set up as well.

Also let me know if any of the three tvs in my post above this one would be a good choice??

Brent

10-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Free Member

Actually, the TV behind the screen does nothing except act as a tv. The pull-down screen gets its image from the LCD Front Projector that is mounted in the ceiling about 12' in front of it. So you actually have two seperate "tv's". I'm just going with a smaller 32" television for the regular tv and then have the pull down screen for movies and special events. A 100" 16:9 screen runs about $100. A descent front projector will set you back about $1000 - $1500. Ceiling mounts are about $100 - $150. Then of course the cost of your tv that will be behind the screen for use when the screen is pulled up into the ceiling.
Closed Thread