07-30-2017, 04:05 PM
Free Member

Last year i put a bad tape in my Panasonic NV-HS860 VCR, and it stopped playing. So put another video in and the picture had all the comet tails, which is typical of dirty heads. So i finally got round to cleaning the heads over the weekend using foam q-tips and 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. When manually turning the drum i could feel the heads snagging a little when it was run against the q-tip.. don't know if i didn't wet it enough. But put another tape in and everything plays fine, picture looks great. Just when it's rewind/fast-forwarding it doesn't sound right to me. I hope none of the tape heads have been snagged out of place and is scratching/damaging the tapes?

Anyway i've recorded a whole tape cycle (FF then Rewind) by lifting up the VCR slot to hear what's going on inside. Does it sound alright?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0BT4Ia5BXcw
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-13-2017, 06:00 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
It's hard to tell from that clip. Lots of streaming services, like Youtube, recompress your audio/video. I'm not sure what I'm listening to there. It'd be far better to have a video of problem, to see what devices are making the whirring sounds.

You should never press so hard on the foam cleaning tip that you snag something.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
It's hard to tell from that clip. Lots of streaming services, like Youtube, recompress your audio/video. I'm not sure what I'm listening to there. It'd be far better to have a video of problem, to see what devices are making the whirring sounds.

You should never press so hard on the foam cleaning tip that you snag something.
I don't think i pressed that hard, was probably better using some chamois swabs.

I made a video of it a few months ago. Here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/czc9mg...le%20Video.mp4

Though having watched it back, i've just noticed the tape contact on the left hand side is shaking/looks unstable as it's rewinding/fast forwarding the tape. Surely that's not normal and possibly the source of the scraping noise? You'll notice it most in the last 10 seconds of the video.
12-14-2017, 04:18 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I can't see that video. Attach here. Mediafire is a dangerous site, lots of malware/popups/etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-20-2017, 10:17 AM
Free Member

If you want to pay postage both ways to Hertfordshire I can look over and evaluate / deep clean the heads for you F.O.C. and give the rest of the path a clean too - and a new roller if needed.
12-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I can't see that video. Attach here. Mediafire is a dangerous site, lots of malware/popups/etc.
Since the file size is over 99mb, I requested some FTP space but have received no reply, so I've uploaded it to Dropbox instead as it's listed as one of the methods of sharing files on this site in the 'How to upload' section. Though best to click Download on the top right hand side to see the uncompressed version.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp0a5703p4...Video.mp4?dl=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasipal View Post
If you want to pay postage both ways to Hertfordshire I can look over and evaluate / deep clean the heads for you F.O.C. and give the rest of the path a clean too - and a new roller if needed.
That's very kind, if i can't locate/fix the problem i'll keep you in mind