04-17-2023, 05:39 AM
Free Member

For sale or trade are two VTRs. Please read the entire post before replying with questions or comments or considering the gear. I'm ok with selling or trading as a package deal or either deck individually. Both decks are 2nd hand to me. Both served me well for nearly a decade, but their usefulness to me has ended.

1.) Sony EV-S7000 PCM Hi8 VCR.
2.) Panasonic AJ-D95 DVCPRO50 shoebox style deck.

The EV-S7000 works, but with a caveat. As far as I'm aware it's never been re-capped, and the capacitors on both the power supply and TBC boards are both timebombs. Don't take my word for it, both 12voltvids and Colin at video99.co.uk on YouTube have spoken about this. I cannot in good faith sell this deck at working condition market value and have it then fail for somebody.

Therefore, I'm selling it at a reduced price of $200, which is around what for parts decks go for.

The AJ-D95 works as well. There are some scuffs, P-touch labels, and engravings on it (it came from a broadcast environment), but other than those visual defects it works great. It has the optional SDI board (analog I/O include composite, component, and balanced XLR, but the audio is embedded in the SDI signal). I used it to make copies of DVCPRO tapes using both an SDI capture card and an SDI to DV converter (both NFS). Since it's a shoebox style deck it only accepts the medium and large size DVCPRO tapes. "Regular" DV and DVCAM tapes should play fine too.

Price $350.

Want-to-buy gear includes any Sony DVCAM or HDV deck that accepts the medium or large size tapes and has SDI or FireWire ports (preferably the former), so something like a DSR-2000. Or if you have a working HDV camcorder with FireWire we could trade toward that.

Prices include shipping (FedEx). If doing local pickup I'd consider a small discount. I'm located in the U.S. and won't ship international, sorry.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-18-2023, 06:04 AM
Free Member

I forgot to mention in my original post the EV-S7000 is missing the remote as well as the side panels.
05-07-2023, 05:55 AM
Free Member

I'm lowering the price of the AJ-D95 to $300. If no takers here it's going on eBay. Still open to trades as well and a small discount if doing local pickup.
05-10-2023, 06:03 AM
Free Member

I had NO plans to tackle my Hi-8 collection this soon. $200 will greatly hinder me from going forward with refurbs for my Panasonic AG-1970 and JVC SR-V101US needed for my "serious" stuff, but this seems like a very good opportunity.

LordSmurf, do you know how many caps are in this baby, and how much you'd have to charge to refurb it?

I did learn sometime in recent years that you get a better dub for Hi-8 from a Digital-8 deck or camcorder. Cbehr91 (and anyone), what are your thoughts on that. (I realize you may not be the most objective as you're trying to sell this, but that's okay. I think all you great people here are objective enough and care about each other enough to try to be honest.)

Oh my goodness, I worry about decks having functions on the remote but that are not reflected on the unit. (And you said the remote is lost). I just found a pic showing the dropdown panel! WOW, this deck is a remote-haters paradise!
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-EV-S7000-Hi8-Editing-VCR/dp/B001QVAZPW

Cbehr91, will the refurber need to replace the video head? Of course that might be huge expense itself. I have no idea what HI-8 heads go for in comparison to S-VHS. My 2 Hi-8 camcorders died before I had chance to replace heads.

Can the TBC be operated in "pass through" mode, that is, do correction on the video signal coming in, so that I could use it as a standalone TBC?

If I don't buy and refurb this, the answers I'm asking for will help whoever DOES buy it.

I have ~40 2-hour HI-8 and a few "lo-8" tapes to transfer.
05-10-2023, 07:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMullet View Post
LordSmurf, ... , and how much you'd have to charge to refurb it?
I no longer refurb decks for others, only the decks that I resell in the marketplace.

Why? Well, more often than not, the units are trashed. I seek what I refer to as "refurb candidates", and units from individuals tend to be too far out of maintenance and/or somewhat abused. And yes, everybody claims that their unit is "fine", and "only" has __ wrong with it, but never is. 90% want to submit random decks bought from eBay, not something they'd been the original owner for.

I do make exceptions for JVC units I had previously refurb'd, though that's only happened twice to date, for decks I sold 6-7 years ago. I try to make my refurb work last for a decade (only others), and so far that's exactly what has happened.

Also a few exceptions for original owners of specific JVC decks, when those decks are working. I give it a general re-fit, to make sure it keeps working for many more years. Value drift, re-grease, tear-down clean, etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-10-2023, 07:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I no longer refurb decks for others, only the decks that I resell in the marketplace.
Also a few exceptions for original owners of specific JVC decks, when those decks are working. I give it a general re-fit, to make sure it keeps working for many more years. Value drift, re-grease, tear-down clean, etc.
Oh dear. I've written to you privately expressing my situation.

I'm the original owner of my AG-1970 and SR V101US, and was hoping to get YOU to refurb. Will you possibly make an exception?? (Assuming you're USA.) I will re-check out both decks next week to be sure exactly what problems are there NOW. Also was planning to capture some short samples from each (using raw original S-VHS SP camera footage) and send to you so you'd have a better feel for what might be needed.
05-10-2023, 08:01 AM
Free Member

I'm guessing the TBC does not work on passthrough. I've never had a reason to test that functionality. And no on head replacement. I never found a situation in which I needed the remote. The menu is fully accesible via the retractable drawer, as are the switches for PCM audio and the EDIT function that disables the on-screen display. I have had caps replaced by MacCaps in Michigan. Dr. Sony would probably work on it too.
The following users thank cbehr91 for this useful post: TCMullet (05-10-2023)
05-10-2023, 08:12 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I don't want to sidetrack this marketplace listing/thread any more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMullet View Post
Oh dear. I've written to you privately expressing my situation.
I'm the original owner of my AG-1970 and SR V101US, and was hoping to get YOU to refurb. Will you possibly make an exception?? (Assuming you're USA.) I will re-check out both decks next week to be sure exactly what problems are there NOW. Also was planning to capture some short samples from each (using raw original S-VHS SP camera footage) and send to you so you'd have a better feel for what might be needed.
I'll probably accept that JVC. We'll discuss in PMs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: TCMullet (05-10-2023)
05-10-2023, 05:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbehr91 View Post
1.) Sony EV-S7000 PCM Hi8 VCR.

The EV-S7000 works, but with a caveat. As far as I'm aware it's never been re-capped, and the capacitors on both the power supply and TBC boards are both timebombs. Don't take my word for it, both 12voltvids and Colin at video99.co.uk on YouTube have spoken about this. I cannot in good faith sell this deck at working condition market value and have it then fail for somebody.

Therefore, I'm selling it at a reduced price of $200, which is around what for parts decks go for.
I may have a funding source. But I have to have the confidence that we can get it refurbed adequately. Who can and will refurb and how much, is the question. I need total cost, the deck and the refurb before I approach my friend with the total cost (who may have incentive and ability to donate to me for the whole package).