Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Free Member

Ok i just made a 50 disc home-movie set for my friend for Christmas the discs are Verbatim 16x DVD-R They paly in the DVD-Drive but not my Pioneer DVD recorder ugh. This has happened before but not too often. Any idea if this can be fixed or is it the batch of discs.

Patience is a virtue, but when dealing with a Panasonic a sledge hammer would be so much faster.......
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-18-2007, 06:50 AM
Free Member

Well, you could make ripped them to HD as ISO; reburn. Since your rom reads the dvds fine.

Some recorders wont play nice with high speed dvds..
By Play nice I mean : Throwing you a panasonic fit lol

Poor brent.. You have terrible luck with dvdrecorders , huh lol
12-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Free Member

I'll try that heh but I tried these on my Pioneer not the panasonic heh. But your right the Pioneer is acting like the Panasonic heh.

Brent

Patience is a virtue, but when dealing with a Panasonic a sledge hammer would be so much faster.......
12-18-2007, 07:13 AM
Free Member

Didnt mark tell you to get the JVC lol

12-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Free Member

cp32 sez: 'Didnt mark tell you to get the JVC lol'.

Brent sez: .......... ummmmmm yea heh. But I went with this one in a side comparision as I wanted to get into DVD-R DL recording, so far I have only did five dvds worth and they all ended up at oh about the halfway point chpping off say the last ten minutes of a show then going to the next ugh.

So I night just be looking into another, mind you the Pioneer does great for recording etc, its just this one time that it is having issues I believe, well besides that remote issue I had in May, then fixed it self somehow lol I didnt use it like for two weeks, and it started working again lol heh.

Brent

12-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Free Member

Ok I tried our home videos they copied the same way on DVD playable in the PC not in the Pioneer. this sucks.

Nero 7 maybe that will work or maybe its the verbatim, they have been a problem before with my Sony DRU 109 burner.

12-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Free Member

Try different burning software. Never was a huge nero fan. Img burn ( newer version of decrypter lol ) It burns DL .

Here's another idea

This something as a last resort.

Run your DL dvds through shrink. Or something similar (D9-d5)etc Shrink it to D5 quality then burn. See if it works Pioneer no likey DL dvds

Are you certain that pioneer reads DL? I saw one pioneer records DL wont play DL I dont understand that one myself

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders?DVDname=Pioneer

Good Luck Beanie Boy
12-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Free Member

Ok first i tried dvdshrink for the set I did for my friend
then transfered to DVD using RecordNow Max, did not work on the set I wanted to give my friend so I tried a dvd from our 8mm home movies Best Buy converted with the same results. I finnished dling Nero 7 and it worked on the home movies dvd and it played in the pioneer and the panasonic.

Brent

12-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Free Member

Well, now you know. lol
12-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
DVD-R DL is almost incompatible with DVD-Video formats. It's for data only, the DVD Forum screwed up on this one.

You should also avoid Nero, as it does not properly burn the data for DVD-Video. The gapping and layer break information is all out of spec, done completely wrong. You must use ImgBurn (there are a few others, but ImgBurn works best and it's free).

If you want DL, it must be DVD+R DL, and it must have the layer break set correctly (use PgcEdit).

If you don't pay close attention and manually select all the right options when burning (or even copying) DL, then the second layer will likely freeze and not play. Sometimes the whole disc will refuse to play.

Most complaints of DVD+R DL discs not playing are a direct result of user error. Some are not (the format has a lower-than-normal reflectivity), but most are.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Burns speeds have nothing to do with playability in a player. To say that a low-speed disc can read when a high-speed disc cannot, and assuming the speed is the culprit, is pure myth. At most, it is coincidence that the discs were rated for different burning speeds. Playing is different than burning.

The DVD-R 16x discs not playing is often related to how the discs were burned. Again, if these were made in Nero, especially Nero 6-7+, that's the issue. Nero does not burn DVD-Video correctly anymore. Use ImgBurn, or Prassi (PrimoDVD, ONES, etc), or an older version of RecordNow to burn single-layer media.

DVD Shrink being in the mix may also be part of the problem.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-19-2007, 01:31 AM
Free Member

Yeah I looked at the DVD Dls they are infact +Rs. But I havent used them since I bought them. So far the single layer -Rs are working just fine. so it was the combo of my dvdshrink and Sonic. So now I am using Decrypter or Nero to burn, and its working fine.

Brent