Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-31-2022, 11:41 AM
Free Member

Is there any data on using NOS discs?

I purchased a spindle of JVC Taiyo Yuden DVD+R back in 2011 and its been stored reasonable well the entire time. Garbage or still useful?

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-31-2022, 11:56 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
Is there any data on using NOS discs?

I purchased a spindle of JVC Taiyo Yuden DVD+R back in 2011 and its been stored reasonable well the entire time. Garbage or still useful?

Thanks
No idea, but you've probably got more chance with a decent Taiyo Yuden disc than anything else?

Probably the bigger question is why you want to put anything on to DVD? I don't mean that in a cocky way, and there probably are still viable reasons to do it. I'd probably go for some new AZO Verbatims if I really did want to be ultra-cautious, but I don't know what you're planning to use them for.

Totally unrelated, but their cassette tapes (well, That's in the UK) are still considered amongst the very finest ever made, I still have a few boxes of fresh TY tapes and use them infrequently, but they're as good as they were the day they left Japan. I know their optical media was considered to be very good, but I've never used it, nor do I know what state the company was in around 2011. Interestingly they were the first premium manufacturer to ditch cassette tapes, they saw the writing on the wall by the mid-1990s.....
01-31-2022, 12:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
If those were stored properly for the past 10-15 years, then the discs should be fine.

DVD is still a popular distribution format. Even Netflix still has DVD rental by mail.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-01-2022, 08:26 AM
Free Member

Thanks. I didn't know if the 'rot clock' on consumer burned media started with manufacture date or burn date. I think everyone in the family has a bluray player at this point but I imagine most of the stuff they are really going to want to 'own' will fit on standard DVD

The Blank DVD Media Quality Review doesn't include any blurays.... Any 'ol name brand 'archival grade' or is M Disk the answer?
02-02-2022, 09:44 AM
Free Member

I suspect the "rot" was related to leaks in the sealing of the DVD layers, and would be increased by poor storage conditions. Burn some fully (i.e., fill the disc) and then do read/error checks.

FWIW: there is a thing known as BluRay. on DVD. AuthoringWorks does it. It puts a BD structure and files on a DVD and most BD players will play it as a BlyRay disc. The catch is the limited capacity (about 20 minutes of HD depending on data rate). I've used it for some short program discs among friends and it works OK.