Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-17-2004, 02:10 AM
Premium Member

My NEC ND 3500-AG (2.18 firmware) won't recognize a certain DVD-R that was probably mastered from a tabletop DVD recorder. I purchased a 3 disc set at a "Collectors Show," the other two are recognized and can be backed up. No matter what program I use; Nero, Roxio DVD Copier, DVD Decrypter & DVD Info etc. it says the disc is empty (blank media), yet it plays fine on my standalone player with menus. Are there certain settings within the above mentioned
software I should be checking? My drive is set to DMA. I would like to make exact copies on my writer to share with my friends.

I'm not sure it's finalised, how can I tell? Is there anything else I can try or am I just out of luck making backup copies?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-17-2004, 02:35 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

What do the menus look like? Can you take a digital photo of your tv screen? (Since it's probably safe to assume screen captures are not possible, as a DVD-ROM/burner won't see the disc). I'd like to determine what made the disc.

It may just be the NEC 3500. It's one of the top 3 drives that I hear about having various errors.

Do you have another drive, or a DVD-ROM? Have you tried this in the computer of family or friends? On their DVD burner or DVD-ROM?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

I tried the disc on my Mac G4 at work and it crashed my machine. My friend tried it on his IBM laptop and he was able to mount it. He was alo able to open it in Decrypter and make me an ISO & MDS file. I tried to burn the files to a CD so I could bring them home and put them on my home PC. I wasn't able to they were either too large or corrupted.

Below is part of the message that I get in Decrypter. Any thoughts?

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG 2.18 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: MCC 02RG20

Disc Is Empty
12-23-2004, 06:35 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

The disc may be corrupted.
Is this the only DVD with this issue?
How do other DVDs work?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!