01-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

What can you tell me about the number and letters that are on this Maxell DVD?
DRF60-02261,

Where is it manufactured or the quality of it?

I was reading your charts last night and tried to find it, but i am not familiar enough with it to know.

thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxell disc type.jpg (42.4 KB, 5 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

That sixth character is actually the letter "O" and not a zero.

DR5F6O-##### is a confirmed Ritek 16x DVD-R recordable disc.

What you're read there is the hub serial code ID, something that is printed and stamped on the disc when it is manufactured. While this could eventually be traced back to the manufacturer (indeed, right down to the machine it was made on -- in theory, at least), you're better off putting the DVD in a DVD burner, and then using software to read the media ID off the disc itself.

The media ID is digital data embedded on the disc, it's not something that is printed and viewable by human eyes.

Refer back to this forum: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...ia-id-393.html
There, you can download the software needed to read a media ID.

It also refers back to the DVD review guide, which has information on actually reading the media ID. You can then refer to the tables on the page, to determine its quality rating. That page is at http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Ritek media varies a lot in quality. Sometimes a pack of discs is good, sometimes not so good. Never use the for archival needs, these are not what many folks (myself included) would consider archival optical media. These discs are, however, quite good for duplicating your masters, either to give out or to use as extra backups of something that can be easily replaced.

For the price, better discs can be bought. I suggest looking at Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden discs, for your next purchase.
Deals are listed multiple times weekly at http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Hope that helps.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-17-2011)
01-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Thank you

I scanned the back of the DVD see below, that is the proper sequence, sorry typo,.

I have been dubbing vhs tapes to DVD, , so best now to copy those to other media?

My stand alones do not mention TYO discs, they show Maxell in +or -R in 4-8 or 16x, so how can you get "MAXELL" not RITEK, ?

Also JVC in RW 4X; SONY in 4-8-16x in + or-R, same on TDK as SONY;,
Verbs are listed as -RW 2X and + or -R8X and RW 4X.

The LITE-ON DVDRW LH -20- A1H ATA in my pc how do i find all compatible discs for it?
Thanks for your informative response, i masy join the Premium portion of your site.

Tks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxell disc type.jpg (42.4 KB, 3 downloads)
01-10-2010, 09:11 PM

The manual that came with your DVD recorder is worthless, in terms of DVD media listed. In many cases, those lists are not accurate about what discs are truly best to use.

Most often, those lists simply parrot the marketing of their company. Philips, for example, would suggest Philips branded media. Sony would recommended Sony-branded media. (Although some Sony discs are actually pretty good, I've noticed that many Sony product manual spend more time trying to sell you more of their own stuff than actually helping you use the product it came with.)

So totally ignore those DVD lists in the book.

Maxell has not manufactured it's own media in several years now. The last MXL/MAXELL media were 8x discs, around 2005 or so. Maxell only made 2x-8x media, mostly during the 2x and 4x eras. You can't buy those anymore, even old-stock Maxell Broadcast DVD-R have disappeared in the past 6 months at all sources I'm aware of.

JVC does not and has never made DVD recordables. They are a brand only. In the past, they re-branded everything from excellent Taiyo Yuden to worthless Wealthfair (WFKA). The JVC brand is now owned by Taiyo Yuden, so look for JVC Taiyo Yuden media made in Japan.

Use Verbatim 16x DVD-R in your DVD recorder. Those are rated for 1x-16x burning, and handle packet-written DVD recorder data very well. These discs are the best solution probably 99% of the time. Only in a few rare cases did Verbatim/MCC media fail.

NOTE: Do not buy tape-wrapped "Value Series" Verbatim discs -- those are also CMC or Ritek. Get the normal Verbatim branded media on spindles. The links on this page are the best media to buy: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Don't concentrate on "what's compatible" -- definitely don't read tacky lists in the product paperwork or product sites -- go for the best media. In actuality, it's the poorer media that have issues in compatibility, often including "brand named" junk in the suggestion lists.

Product manuals are generally not written by the same people who create the technology, and the editors quite often inject marketing crap in just before printing. So those documents are nowhere near as reliable as consumers generally believe them to be. These days, most of them are written in other languages, poorly translated with software into what's generally called "Engrish".

Your LiteOn burner will work very well with all the media listed at http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
  1. Verbatim DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD+R DL, made in India, Singapore, Taiwan or the United Arab Emirates (UAE)
  2. JVC Taiyo Yuden DVD-R or DVD+R, from an authorized dealer only.
  3. Sony DVD-R or DVD+R, made in Taiwan only.

01-12-2010, 12:07 AM

Your thoroughness, professionalism and energy is very much appreciated, and the "humor" ENGRISH, i wish i had , had this this AM when i called Funai Co, to discuss the very item you relate to "the manual". You would believe me when I tell you the rep asked me to spell Taiyo U.

We need not talk about them anymore on blanks

Then i called a company on the Value line and they called it a Grade B?? About $4.00 less i think. A company in Pennsylvania, USA, , They are a TYO authorized dealer if you will.

I did yesterday order Verbatim 4.7GB 8X DVD-R White Inkjet Printable 50 Packs Cake Box Disc Model 94971 - Retail , yesterday,, so did i mess up?

I wanted to try them from Newegg, http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-32359...82E16817130978

If you want to delete the company link if i am violatimg posting please delete it.

So are the TYO valueline to be considered for archiving or as he said the rep, the silver laquer, no labeling is the way to go, for my position right now.

I am going to print off your content, study it some nore, will be back.

As i said , your responses lead me to joining your paid portion.

Thanks again
01-12-2010, 12:45 AM

"Grade B" is such a misnomer. Taiyo Yuden is an "old school" Japanese company, where they still value reputation, honor, etc.

Last night I watched part of "Batman; The Dark Knight" on a cable re-run, and I'm reminded of a scene from the movie. Bruce wants to go scope out some things in the city, but not as Batman. Instead of his "Grade A" car (the Batmobile!), he needs to use his "Grade B" car -- a Lamborghini!! I don't know about you, but his grade B car is better than my grade A car!

One company's trash is better than another company's treasure.

For archival media, I would actually suggest against "silver lacquer", for the reasons given here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...disc-1766.html and in some other threads I recall from the past 2-3 months (all in the media forum). That particular surface was not intended to be used as-is by general consumers. Verbatim branded media would be a better choice, given the two.

There's no rule against links (that's the whole point of the "web" after all -- linking back and forth between content, the reason HTML exists), but I do change store links to our affiliate links, when we're an affiliate with that particular store. We do affiliate with newegg, although they are not my favorite merchant -- they've proven themselves difficult both in a B2B affiliate sense (a-retentive links), as well as in a buyer sense (canceled orders, slow refunds, bad rebates). Sometimes the best prices, sometimes not -- and smoothness of operation is definitely affects by the low pricing. Amazon, Supermediastore and Meritline are better to work with for blanks. (Same for Gotmedia and Mediamegamall, a pair of long-time site sponsors -- both are great for Verbatim discs, too!)

The discs you bought should be good -- no, I don't think you messed up at all.

Any time you look to buy some things you can help out this site by using our affiliate links: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...-com-1528.html

An upgrade to Premium Membership would also be most appreciated. Thanks much!

......... We're pushing through some massive (and expensive) upgrades through for the site right now (to be launched in next 4-8 weeks), and funding is important because it's starting to go over budget. That's why I've been pushing for using our links and upgrading memberships a lot lately.

Taiyo Yuden is pronounced "tie-yo you-den", although you sometimes here "tay-yo you-den" from people who have never dealt with the company directly.

Thanks.