Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
continued from PM...
In the interest of helping the most people, I try to answer all tech-related questions in the open forum. This forum, to be specific, as it is my designated "home forum" for all tech talk. Thanks!

Quote:
I saw that you're offering advice via PM, so I figured I'd give it a shot. You responded in my thread about DataLifePlus vs. Life series DVD-Rs. I'm guessing I shouldn't rely on the Life series for archival purposes or even for burning a movie for a friend
No, definitely not.
This has been covered here: Which Verbatim brand DVDs should I get at a retail store? Which are MCC?

Quote:
and trusting that there won't be any skips or something else wrong with it, correct?
The reason to not trust the outsourced Verbatims is because the cheap CMC media inside those packages are prone to errors for a vast number of users -- and it's been that way for years.

Quote:
Also, if I go with what most consider the best, the Taiyo Yuden Premium line DVD-Rs, is there a difference between the product in the two links below?:
http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...ax=15&offset=0
http://www.rima.com/prod/1736-100.html
No. None. Same product.

Quote:
After shipping I will save a few bucks if I go with supermediastore, especially if I buy 200 discs,
SMS is easily one of the best places to shop online for blank discs. I'd suggest the same is true of Meritline, too.

Quote:
but I often read that Rima is the place to go.
I've never been impressed with Rima. The prices are too high. Many years ago -- like 2002-2003 -- before stores like Meritline or Supermediastore existed (or at least existed in the minds of the media-buying communities I've been a part of), Rima was your only real option. Lots of other stores were scammy quality, or even more expensive that Rima (like former wholesale blank tape suppliers).

But that was a long, long, long time ago. Ancient history, by DVD tech standards.

Quote:
If it's the same exact product though, I might as well save a few bucks and go with supermediastore.
That's what I would do.
Get them here:

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time out.
Fantome
Glad to help.

For the best prices, on the best media, you really should read this: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
Use that guide.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Fantome (04-12-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Free Member

Thanks again! I found a great deal at Micro Center, and I live near a store that only charges 3.5% sales tax. I'm not sure what I found are "the best" Verbatims though (they don't say either Life Series or DataLifePlus on them, but they do say Advanced Azo Dye). Are these the highest quality Verbatims I can get?:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0193531
04-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantome View Post
Thanks again! I found a great deal at Micro Center, and I live near a store that only charges 3.5% sales tax. I'm not sure what I found are "the best" Verbatims though (they don't say either Life Series or DataLifePlus on them, but they do say Advanced Azo Dye). Are these the highest quality Verbatims I can get?:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0193531
That store in Paterson is nice, I wish it was a bit closer to me though. That is indeed the correct Verbatims. Sometimes they beat out Newegg on pricing just because of the half sales tax. (NJ folks pay 6% sales tax with Newegg).
04-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Free Member

We pay 7% sales tax in NJ, but I'm not one to nit-pick.

Thanks for mentioning NewEgg, NJRoadfan. The same product that I linked to Micro Center in my last post can now be bought cheaper at NewEgg than at the Paterson Micro Center even after accounting for tax (and shipping is free). A few of the NewEgg raters have mentioned that the orange label is not Advanced Azo Dye like the Micro Center page claims and that the blue label is superior. If lordsmurf can confirm that they are the best Verbatims, I'm going to stock up.

ETA: Also, there are plenty of negative reviews from people having mostly coasters. I wonder if these being 16X speed instead of 8x speed could be the cause (my burner is a Samsung SH-S223Q).

Last edited by Fantome; 04-03-2011 at 07:30 PM.
04-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Free Member

I guess I should have been paying better attention. The first link in the OP shows that the orange labeled ones are good to go. Thanks again.
04-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Yep, you got it.
Just read this one: Which Verbatim brand DVDs should I get at a retail store? Which are MCC?
It has pictures and full descriptions on the "good Verbatims" vs the "bad Verbatims"

Microcenter is a great store, but Amazon, Newegg, Geeks and a few others can be better prices.
Fry's, too, if you have one of those retail locations nearby. CompUSA and Tigerdirect retail stores -- not so much.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Free Member

Is there any truth to the claim I've read on other boards that the ones Made In India are inferior? I ordered three spindles of the Verbatims I linked to in my first post (but from NewEgg) and they're made in India.
04-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Free Member

Never mind. I did a message board search for India +Verbatim and I see this has been addressed.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/medi...im-europe.html

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/medi...ty-taiwan.html
04-12-2011, 03:25 AM

Yes, any and all anti-India commentary online is baseless, and likely originates from inherent bias against anything from India. You'll notice the complaints are mostly from within the USA (where there's a lot of India=bad mentality), and nowhere else in the world, even though Indian MCC production is more widespread to other countries/continents.

Many so-called "problem discs" -- at least when 1st Class media is involved -- can actually be traced back to other issues, be it user handling or hardware errors (bad burner, bad player).

For a long time, Newegg was stocking "made in UAE" discs.

The following users thank admin for this useful post: Fantome (04-12-2011)
04-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Free Member

Sort of related to this discussion, are Verbatim DVD+R DL Lightscribe discs as reliable for archival as Verbatim's DataLifePlus discs? In other words, do they fall into the category of pretty much being the same as DataLifePlus, except they just didn't list it on the label?

Link here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001JIHF0U

Not that I'd only buy a 10-disc spindle, but I'm too lazy to find a new link
04-12-2011, 09:16 AM

It has the AZO logo.

That's what you should look for. DataLife/DataLifePlus wasnt always present.
However, AZO generally is.

The following users thank admin for this useful post: jbd5010 (04-12-2011)