Manufacturer ID : [MBIPG101]
Media Type ID : [R10]
Product Revision : [065]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone else used these discs? They were Sony branded, I knew that's not the best but I didn't think they'd be THIS bad. So far I'm 5/5 on coasters, it either fails on the layer break or the finalization every time.

I've burned with two different drives.. my internal Optiarc AD-7231S5 and my external Sony BDX-S600U, same results. With both drives I have 100% success on Blu Ray single and dual layers, and probably 90% on most assorted DVD single layers, but with dual layer DVDs almost every one fails.

I have not yet had a chance to use the Verbatim DVD+R DL that I hear are the best, that is my next stop, but I am also looking for confirmation that this media is crap and my drive(s) is/are not.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by singemfrc View Post
looking for confirmation that this media is crap
Consider this confirmation.

There's really just two grades of blank DVD+R DLs:
(1) Good = Verbatim
(2) Not Good = everything else. The best of the worst DL media is Ritek, but that's not a compliment.

Amazon easily has the best prices on DVD+R DL Verbatim discs.
Packs come in several sizes: http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_en...ch-alias%3Daps

This 50-pack of 2.4x discs is the best deal at $50: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0026CN0KW
The 2.4x (actually 4x in most drives) are better than the 8x blanks.

And use ImgBurn -- not Nero, Roxio, etc. (If on Mac, you're stuck with Toast.)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Free Member

Thanks..I actually only need 5, though I've gone through 30 now trying to get one successful burn. I don't even care about it being long lasting, I would just like to burn it successfully! I have used just about every possible piece of software..primarily DVDFab, but also PowerISO, ImgBurn, and I even resorted to Nero.
What perplexed me is that in the past I never had a problem, I had a gap of about a year where I had no need for DVD DL's and now I'm getting 100% fail rate. Must have been a change in the media manufacturing. Well clearly I just need to get the Verbatims, thanks.
If this doesn't work I'm writing DVD+DL's off completely (no pun intended) and I'm just going to burn the 8GB of video to a 25GB Blu ray disc, wasted space or not. They never fail and theyre for some reason usually cheaper than DVD+DLs.
04-18-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I don't even care about it being long lasting, I would just like to burn it successfully
That's actually a common misconception of what a bad disc really is. It has to either be good, or it has to be full of errors that make it unreadable in part of in whole. It's not like it was with VHS tapes, where image/audio quality would be degraded on lower-grade tapes. In the digital world, the data is either there, or it's not. And when it's not, you can't access the data, or play the audio/video. The most common failure is during lead-in and while burning near the outer edges of a disc, which is how you get instant coasters -- the burns fail.

Even a "successful" burn can be a bad disc. It just happens that the failure didn't happen during the lead-in or lead-out, so the DVD burning drive didn't notice. This is a common reason people think their data "disappeared" -- the truth is that they never tested the media, but simply assumed it was fine because the burn completed. That's a fallacy.

If you think DVD+R DL is bad, Blu-ray media is the same or worse. Just get a small 10-pack of Verbatim DVD+R DL.

04-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Free Member

Really, you have found Blu Ray media to be worse? I've yet to have a failure with either a single or dual layer Blu Ray disc. I've been using Philips for the DLs and Kodak for the SLs, they've all burned and read flawlessly so far. I haven't tried BDXL yet..my drive supports it but I really haven't found a need for it...and I can't imagine paying $70 for a disc and having it fail
Yeah I know all about the "failing to fail"..I have had DVD+DL's that reported a successful burn but were unreadable.
I'm definitely buying a spindle of Verbatim DVD+DLs, hopefully that does the trick.
04-18-2012, 09:21 AM

Yeah, now that you mention it, Blu-ray probably is better than DVD+R DL, in terms of overall coaster %. You're right.

Here's a question: Why burn DVD+R DL when you can also burn BD-R media?

The cost isn't too different. And then DL DVDs are not really archival anyway because of second-layer longevity/readability -- neither is Blu-ray media because of how they're constructed on the data-side (bottom) of the platter. It's really a bit of a draw to decided which one to use. If hard drives weren't still so expensive because of last fall's floods, I'd ask why not just use a bit hard drive. I remember when a 500GB drive was $50 shipped from Amazon.com -- these days it's closer to $75.

04-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Yeah, now that you mention it, Blu-ray probably is better than DVD+R DL, in terms of overall coaster %. You're right.

Here's a question: Why burn DVD+R DL when you can also burn BD-R media?

The cost isn't too different. And then DL DVDs are not really archival anyway because of second-layer longevity/readability -- neither is Blu-ray media because of how they're constructed on the data-side (bottom) of the platter. It's really a bit of a draw to decided which one to use. If hard drives weren't still so expensive because of last fall's floods, I'd ask why not just use a bit hard drive. I remember when a 500GB drive was $50 shipped from Amazon.com -- these days it's closer to $75.
Yeah definitely all valid points, and I have considered using BD media instead (I have actually found it to be cheaper than DVD+DL media), and if for some reason I find the Verbatims don't work for me that's what I'm going to do. It's rare that I have a need for DVD+DL, it's probably been more than a year or two since I last used any (which is why I think Sony, who I used to get good discs from) may have changed their manufacturing since then. These will probably be the last DVD+DLs that I ever use.
I have movies I am trying to back up which are on DVD9 but for which a Blu Ray edition does not currently exist and for which I don't want to compress them into a single layer - it's not often that I have something fitting both of those categories. These are only backups/duplicates, so that my originals don't get ruined (and to strip those annoying UOPs) so that's why I'm not concerned with longevity/archival - if it fails to read later I just copy it again. There isn't currently a real streamlined process for DVD9 to BD single layer..I can strip it down and make it work if I have to, but I'm hoping the Verbatims work and that won't be necessary.
04-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Free Member

Well I sure went and jinxed myself..had my first blu ray fail right after I got done saying I've never had one fail! Was the first in a set of Memorex branded discs made by Ritek [RITEK BR2]. Bought these purely out of convenience..before that I was using Kodak Blu Rays made by Philips [PHILIP R04] that were 100% successful.

I'm wondering..in your experience are the Verbatim Blu Rays as reliable as their DVD's? Ive heard good and bad, but I don't really trust anyone outside of this forum to be objective.
04-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Free Member

Update: I found out I had contributed to the problem..apparently when backing up the DVD I was removing the layer break data without realizing it. I fixed the problem by using imburn to rebuild the image with the layer break data but still got all failures on the shitty Ritek media.
I have since cracked open a spindle of Verbatim AZOs and have had 5/5 burn and verify successfully...they really do make that much of a difference. If anyone else is wondering, they are MKM003 and can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000GHWRIK
04-25-2012, 10:48 AM

I sometime like to compare blank DVDs to food.
- Verbatim DL media is a choice cut steak, cooked to perfection by a master chef.
- Ritek DL media is like a can of cat food. Yeah, you can eat it, and it smells edible, but it might make you puke.

There's just really no competition here.

Thanks for sharing your update.

04-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I sometime like to compare blank DVDs to food.
- Verbatim DL media is a choice cut steak, cooked to perfection by a master chef.
- Ritek DL media is like a can of cat food. Yeah, you can eat it, and it smells edible, but it might make you puke.

There's just really no competition here.

Thanks for sharing your update.
LOL that's funny and true. I have had good experiences with the RITEKF1 single layer media, but now that I have a confirmed way of getting the Mitsubishi media, I won't be buying the Sony/Ritek discs anymore.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Thought it would be nice to send a little appreciation your way so I purchased a 5 year subscription.
04-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by singemfrc View Post
Thought it would be nice to send a little appreciation your way so I purchased a 5 year subscription.
Thanks much.

I'm working hard to get some of the new premium member benefits finalized this summer.
There's some nifty things that will be available very, very soon.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.