Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I really needed the other thread but you closed thread and I still had doubt:

Inside the ziplock has silica gel sachet and many dvd media inside the zip silica has saturated in two weeks so this ziplock bag is not 100% airtight? With saturated silica will enter accumulate and condense moisture inside the ziplock bag or not? Is it better to store long-term optical media with or without the ziplock bag?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-16-2019, 10:57 AM
Unconfirmed User

Good grief! If they're that important, make disk images and upload them to an offsite cloud backup service. You're obviously never going to be satisfied with any other means of guaranteeing the longevity of your physical disks.

Erich
08-17-2019, 11:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
- Again, plastics bags retain moisture.
- Sealed bags retain more moisture.
- The silica will absorb it, but the real test is how long before the silica gets saturated.

You did that experiment, 2 weeks is the outcome, so probably not a method for you to use.

I have nothing else to say, aside from giving my condolences because your storage conditions are terrible, but that's unfortunately the best available in your part of the world. You may need to look into cloud backup, SSD/flash as backup, and HDD, don't just rely on optical discs. Do all of it.

Even print out paper when possible, hard copies are always nice, too. I have a couple file cabinets for that reason. At least 1 tree has made the ultimate sacrifice for my archiving needs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-18-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
- Again, plastics bags retain moisture.
- Sealed bags retain more moisture.
- The silica will absorb it, but the real test is how long before the silica gets saturated.

You did that experiment, 2 weeks is the outcome, so probably not a method for you to use.

I have nothing else to say, aside from giving my condolences because your storage conditions are terrible, but that's unfortunately the best available in your part of the world. You may need to look into cloud backup, SSD/flash as backup, and HDD, don't just rely on optical discs. Do all of it.

Even print out paper when possible, hard copies are always nice, too. I have a couple file cabinets for that reason. At least 1 tree has made the ultimate sacrifice for my archiving needs.
Do you recommend that I remove the discs from the ziplock bag? I don't know if the ziplock has holes but after days silica saturates may have some holes in the bag
08-18-2019, 04:05 AM
Site Staff | Video

You tired bags. Experiment failed. So yes, I'd suggest removing from bags.

A lot of folks give you grief for what they perceive as optical media insanity, but I do commend you for running an experiment on your own. That's what must be done.

If you feel that "holes" were a variable, and wish to try to experiment again, go for it. Just remember to use new or dried silica, perhaps different discs.

I don't mind helping you navigate your experiments, brainstorm/verify results. But what I won't do anymore is try to guess. That answer will remain unchanged: I don't know, I don't live in South America." Most of my research is from North America and Europe, some from Asia. Not SA, Africa, or the arctics. While the basic research remains unchanged, more details data about climates varies. As you yourself have been learning.

Again, keep up the experiments.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-18-2019)
08-18-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
You tired bags. Experiment failed. So yes, I'd suggest removing from bags.

A lot of folks give you grief for what they perceive as optical media insanity, but I do commend you for running an experiment on your own. That's what must be done.

If you feel that "holes" were a variable, and wish to try to experiment again, go for it. Just remember to use new or dried silica, perhaps different discs.

I don't mind helping you navigate your experiments, brainstorm/verify results. But what I won't do anymore is try to guess. That answer will remain unchanged: I don't know, I don't live in South America." Most of my research is from North America and Europe, some from Asia. Not SA, Africa, or the arctics. While the basic research remains unchanged, more details data about climates varies. As you yourself have been learning.

Again, keep up the experiments.
Thanks for your help Lordsmurm but please do not close the thread

1) In my experiments with the ziplock bag I placed discs and 4 sachets of blue silica gel and closed the bag after 2 weeks the silicas were saturated in pink indicating that they absorbed and moisture from inside the bag and moisture continued to enter. In the bag for a hole or opening does this mean that the best recommendation is to store without any bag for longer disc longevity?

2) did you say plastic bags retain moisture and i have several verbatim azo and mdisc discs inside spindle plastic pin inside that spindle will retain moisture?

3) you answered that my discs (DVD MDISC and Verbatim AZO DVD-R) will live 15 years in my storage conditions temperature 30-35ºC humidity 47-67% on dry days I stored the discs in common plastic bag for 1 year and inside the ziplock bag for a few months has this degraded and shortened many years of disc life?

4) Did you say that the plastic bag will retain moisture inside if I open the plastic bag with dvds inside ziplock will it also continue to retain moisture or no?
08-29-2019, 05:26 AM
Free Member

In your situation, just make backups! Sadly in your area of the world, those storage conditions will be the best you got.

I would suggest if the data really is that important to you:

1. Optical Disks (MCC/Verbatim and M-Disc)
2. SSD / HDD Backup
3. Cloud storage
4. A Single Large USB Key.
5. Hard Copy

If you have the funds, maybe run a dehumidifier in the room/place where they are stored.

We can't give you any more than the suggestions already given. If the data is really that important to you have multiple copies.

I have done all of the above, including printing out any pictures on good quality paper/ink. Though I shot many pictures on film originally so also have negatives in a file.
08-29-2019, 05:45 AM

Please respond my questions:

1) In my experiments with the ziplock bag I placed discs and 4 sachets of blue silica gel and closed the bag after 2 weeks the silicas were saturated in pink indicating that they absorbed and moisture from inside the bag and moisture continued to enter. In the bag for a hole or opening does this mean that the best recommendation is to store without any bag for longer disc longevity?

2) did you say plastic bags retain moisture and i have several verbatim azo and mdisc discs inside spindle plastic pin inside that spindle will retain moisture?

3) you answered that my discs (DVD MDISC and Verbatim AZO DVD-R) will live 15 years in my storage conditions temperature 30-35ºC humidity 47-67% on dry days I stored the discs in common plastic bag for 1 year and inside the ziplock bag for a few months has this degraded and shortened many years of disc life?

4) Did you say that the plastic bag will retain moisture inside if I open the plastic bag with dvds inside ziplock will it also continue to retain moisture or no?
08-29-2019, 05:54 AM
Free Member

You see, I personally think a disk like M-Disc would last longer than stated here if their claims are true about the recording layer as there seems to be no separate reflective layer either. I am suspecting that the disk is more resistant to humidity, if their claims are true (talking about DVD): http://www.mdisc.com/wp-content/uplo...inaLake_vF.pdf Then you are on good ground, though nowhere near 1000 years. I doubt they would be lying about the DoD testing these, they would come down on them like a ton of bricks. I use M-Disc as an additional backup to MCC media and my intuition tells me these discs will last as long as I require, thus I am not worried.

I stored some audio and video tapes inside freezer ziplock bags for ten years, no signs of degradation, and I had silica gel. These were stored in a flat that had a leaky roof and was very humid for 4 years though most others I moved out of my house at the time. The blank disks stored under even worse conditions gave me very few problems. Look at my thread here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/medi...tim-cd-rw.html - they can survive a beating.

If you want to check for degradation, run nero discspeed and check for errors both correctable and non correctable.

Your experiment regarding bags is interesting though. I was surprised they let in more moisture and retained it. I wonder if you can get bags made of something like PTFE (teflon) which would not allow moisture in unless there is a hole.

You cannot prepare for every eventuality. Just take the backup measures we suggested and don't let worrying about these control your life. Seriously
08-30-2019, 11:23 AM

For the long life disc (DVD, MDisc) is it better to store inside ordinary bags and ziplock bags or store discs outside bags?

non-hermetic bag also retains moisture?
09-02-2019, 06:34 AM
Free Member

A plastic-related observation:
Bottled water comes in plastic bottles. Over tine a bottle will start to "shrink" as the content very slowly "leak" out through the plastic. The leakage is as water vapor, a gas not unlike air, but different molecular size.

Lesson to take away: Do not count on thin plastic to be absolutely air or water vapor tight over the long term.
09-04-2019, 10:17 AM

1) Milleniatta posted this pdf with DVD MDisc longevity testing and estimation is this information true or false? they say that MDisc DVDMdisc in 50% RH 25ºC has a life of 1332 years and 70% RH 40ºC has a life of 53 years is this information lying?

2)For the long life disc (DVD, MDisc) is it better to store inside ordinary bags and ziplock bags or store discs outside bags?

3) non-hermetic bag also retains moisture?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 001-n.pdf (729.0 KB, 2 downloads)
09-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

I don't like how the question is proposed. Not everything is true/false or truth/lie. The world is more complicated than such simple/simpleton binarism. Shades of gray, omission, cherry-picking.

I find the entire "store DVDs in sandwich bags" to be ridiculous, and I no longer have the patience to be party to such discussions. It was unusual, interesting even, but the moment has passed.

At the rate the questions have gone ... for 6 years now ... let that sink in, SIX YEARS ... the discs are either already failed, halfway through the lifecycle, or ultimately will be fine. We just don't know, as most of us keep discs indoors, either temperature-controlled (USA), or in more hospital climates (Canada/Europe). Putting discs in baggies at this date is apropos to the cliche "close the barn door after the cows/horses have escaped".

09-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I don't like how the question is proposed. Not everything is true/false or truth/lie. The world is more complicated than such simple/simpleton binarism. Shades of gray, omission, cherry-picking.

I find the entire "store DVDs in sandwich bags" to be ridiculous, and I no longer have the patience to be party to such discussions. It was unusual, interesting even, but the moment has passed.

At the rate the questions have gone ... for 6 years now ... let that sink in, SIX YEARS ... the discs are either already failed, halfway through the lifecycle, or ultimately will be fine. We just don't know, as most of us keep discs indoors, either temperature-controlled (USA), or in more hospital climates (Canada/Europe). Putting discs in baggies at this date is apropos to the cliche "close the barn door after the cows/horses have escaped".
For the long life disc (DVD, MDisc) is it better to store inside ordinary bags and ziplock bags or store discs outside bags?

non-hermetic bag also retains moisture?
The following users thank gamemaniaco for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (09-05-2019)
09-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Unconfirmed User

We still have a bunch of AOL disks hanging in the fruit trees to keep out the birds that seem to be holding up fairly well.
The following users thank ELinder for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-29-2019), Winsordawson (09-09-2019)
12-28-2019, 10:29 AM

Silica gel is a component used to absorb moisture and preserve optical discs but if I do not own silica gel what are the other options that absorb moisture in the long term and conserve discs? will i put inside the cardboard box where are the discs
12-29-2019, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

FYI, gamey's back posting here because he's been banned once again at videohelp.
12-29-2019, 06:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
FYI, gamey's back posting here because he's been banned once again at videohelp.
Pleeeeeze don't ruin for the rest of us...oh, and get the beers a chillin'.
12-29-2019, 09:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
Silica gel is a component used to absorb moisture and preserve optical discs but if I do not own silica gel what are the other options that absorb moisture in the long term and conserve discs? will i put inside the cardboard box where are the discs
Silica is merely 1 compound that has moisture/water absorption (hygroscopy) properties. There are others. Silica is basically fine or powdered quartz. Quartz is plentiful, occurs in nature. It's inorganic, essentially a simple compound of oxygen and silicon.

Cardboard is an organic, essentially a tree, and has absorption properties as well.

Things like rice and some salts also absorb, but I'm not sure I'd dunk my DVDs in Uncle Ben's.

You must understand that absorption is not unlimited, and hits peak absorption at some point. You cannot throw a single box of rice into a lake, and expect it to vacuum up all the water. All you'll end up with is a box of soggy rice floating away. In terms of DVDs, you'll have soggy whatever in with the discs. At that point, the DVDs will begin to absorb, as the silica/whatever is too saturated to take on more moisture. So when you live in a rain forest, outdoors, you'll be overrun with moisture faster than you can absorb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
I don't really mind when new questions are asked. Some truly are "outside the box", and merit discussions and response. It's only when we fall into the repetition rabbit hole that is gets irritating.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (12-29-2019)
12-29-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Silica is merely 1 compound that has moisture/water absorption (hygroscopy) properties. There are others. Silica is basically fine or powdered quartz. Quartz is plentiful, occurs in nature. It's inorganic, essentially a simple compound of oxygen and silicon.

Cardboard is an organic, essentially a tree, and has absorption properties as well.

Things like rice and some salts also absorb, but I'm not sure I'd dunk my DVDs in Uncle Ben's.

You must understand that absorption is not unlimited, and hits peak absorption at some point. You cannot throw a single box of rice into a lake, and expect it to vacuum up all the water. All you'll end up with is a box of soggy rice floating away. In terms of DVDs, you'll have soggy whatever in with the discs. At that point, the DVDs will begin to absorb, as the silica/whatever is too saturated to take on more moisture. So when you live in a rain forest, outdoors, you'll be overrun with moisture faster than you can absorb.

I don't really mind when new questions are asked. Some truly are "outside the box", and merit discussions and response. It's only when we fall into the repetition rabbit hole that is gets irritating.

Does A4 paper absorb moisture for some time? protecting the discs inside the box? inside the cardboard box cases of the optical discs and some sheets of A4 paper and closed box

i don't live in the woods

Tags
storage dvd