Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-09-2021, 02:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Something you don't know about me, because I'd never shared it until now...

Unfiltered version:
Quote:
For almsot 25 years I';ve been helingothers online, and that's a lot of typing. I was up to 90= wm(ord oer minutes) in the 002s. But nowi type have that.But mostoeople do't realize that for te past 8 years Ive had lots of problems typing.I ttkaes me lots of minutes to go back and fix all my mistakes before ;posting 00 and even then, sometimes Imiss mistakes. My ingers don't work th way they used to,m yhand s fight me ona regular basis.
It gets furstraing.

My email and OPM boxes are often full of messages, lots of forun post, ;ots of requests -- even cries for help,. And I do what I can. it's hard to reply toeveytthing, and eventually my hands will lock uop, no more typing os allowed. Sp what I reoplpy to you, opease don't thake that for grant. Its takine my more effotr thatn you realize.

I've sometimes had people insist that I give "more dwetails"
, but they don't underst that I'mgiving all I can. Even now, after jsut 3 paragraphs, the muscles on the top of my hands are trying to pull back awa yfro mthe keyboard, Ineed a break forsome mintes. So I'm done for a sort while, off to another task that doesnt involve tpying.

Theis is an exampel of what mutplei sclerosis (MS) does to peopl:.
Corrected version:
Quote:
For almost 25 years, I've been helping others online with video, and that's a lot of typing. I was up to 90+ wpm (words per minute) by the 2000s. But now I type half that. Most people don't realize that, for the past 8 years, I've had lots of problems typing. It takes me lots of minutes to go back and fix all my mistakes before posting -- and even then, sometimes I miss mistakes. My fingers don't work the way they used to, my hands fight me on a regular basis.

It gets frustrating.

My email and PM boxes are often full of messages, lots of forum posts. Lots of requests -- even cries for help. And I do what I can. It's hard to reply to everything, and eventually my hands will lock up, no more typing is allowed. So when I reply to you, please don't take that for granted. It's taken me more effort than you realize.

I've sometimes had people insist that I give "more details", but they don't understand that I'm giving all I can. Even now, after just 3 paragraphs, the muscles on the top of my hands are trying to pull back away from the keyboard. I need a break for some minutes. So I'm done for a short while, off to another task that doesn't involve typing.

This is an example of what multiple sclerosis (MS) does to people.
Few more thoughts, after writing the above, before submitting...

Going slower doesn't solve mistakes. It's not about speed, but accuracy at any speed. The dexterity just isn't there -- which BTW, is why I can no longer solder anything. Fingers just miss the targets, sometimes small jerks (micro tremors).

Yes, some of this also resembles dyslexia -- something that I did NOT have before MS.

Thankfully, no issues using a mouse, not a lot of finger movements involved there.

The before/after you see above is so much better than it was in the past, but obviously still pretty fubar. I just have to keep up with my physical therapy, and maybe someday things will return to normal. Maybe, hopefully.

I actually do better with a tablet than actual keyboard, which is why I often answer forum posts in a recliner, away from the video computers.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: haoyangw (06-01-2021)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-09-2021, 07:28 AM
Free Member

May God bless you LS, you really are a champion.
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-15-2021)
01-09-2021, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

You forgot to explain that your first draft is in Smurf!

Cares and prayers! Stay well and truly appreciate all you've done for this forum and VH!
The following users thank lingyi for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-15-2021)
01-15-2021, 02:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
You forgot to explain that your first draft is in Smurf!
I really like that. I must remember that.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-23-2021, 12:55 PM
Free Member

All my equipment arrived the other day and as I am pouring over this site looking for how to even connect it all I landed up on this thread. Must be the nurse in me that needs to share. My brother has MS. He was diagnosed 2001 at the age of 44. He did all the injections quitting them after 15 years. He is stable now living in Texas like you. I believe an active work life made all the difference. Just keep moving those fingers, your body and your brain. Whatever you do DON'T GET COVID. He and his wife were reckless despite all my warnings and he is paying for it big time! They are alive but may turn into the LONG HAULERS.

Now back to me hunting down the connection basics. Unless you read this lordsmurf and direct me to some pinned thread of how to get started with this JVC VCR and a TBC.
The following users thank DetroitPaula for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-28-2021)
02-23-2021, 03:35 PM
Free Member

First, a thank you - for all you have helped by sharing your knowledge and experience. You have helped me a number of times in the past.
Second, a prayer and a wish for the best in dealing with your health issue. A friend of mine has MS - he is a software developer. He is a little slower than he was in the past, but what ever he types is always correct.
Take care and be safe!
J
The following users thank three_jeeps for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-28-2021)
04-14-2021, 12:26 AM
Free Member

LordSmurf, your story is touching! I prayed for you. Thank you for sharing about your MS.
The following users thank Host_Boards for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-28-2021)
06-01-2021, 01:40 PM
Free Member

Thank you so much for all you've done for this community/forum lordsmurf! I apologise if I don't express my respect and gratitude for everything you've done sufficiently. Reading this only increased my already-high respect for you so much more. Wish you good health and a good year ahead!
The following users thank haoyangw for this useful post: lordsmurf (06-02-2021)