Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-15-2021, 12:42 PM
Free Member

Hey Y'all,

Probably not gonna say something here that much of you long time forum members don't already know. But i got a TBC1000 and Pinnacle gadget for my upcoming Video 8 Transferpalooza from Lord Smurf.

In my previous life i was a Warehouse manager. Shipping and Reviving was my gig.

I take GREAT pride in my packing skills...and my Ebay (and Reverb) reviews attest to this.

HOLY CRAP! I have been bested! Lord Smurf packed this TBC to survive Armageddon and the second Armageddon!!!

It came to me double boxed and even in those boxes there was bubble wrap for days.

Any newbie here on the fence about getting video goodies from lord Smurf, let me put all your concerns to rest.

The from the sale to the packing job....Lord Smurf DELIVERS!

~Viva La Smurf~

Denicio
The following users thank Denicio for this useful post: lordsmurf (06-02-2021)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-02-2021, 01:18 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Thanks.

I refer to my packages as "portable safes".

With the TBC-1000 being firm metal construction, I actually don't have to package it as well as some other more-fragile items, though I do usually double-box most TBCs. It depends on the corrugation of the outer box used.

You should see how well I pack VCRs. I make "bubble wrap burritos" for them, using a specific kind of bubble wrap. The box voids are strategically filled with specific packing paper and peanuts. What you have to watch for are the box impact zones, and you have to take extra care protecting the most fragile parts of the decks. Packing boxes can sometimes be an all-day affair.

Somebody recently told me it took him 35 minutes to unpack my workflow box.

A few other reputable deck sellers (mostly in PAL-land) have various inadequacies in their packing, and too often damage still happens. I've actually tried to help them improve, as I hate to see good gear damaged by bad shipping, but my advice mostly fell on deaf ears.

To date, I've only had one deck arrive damaged, and it was because it was the SR-VS20, one of the most fragile S-VHS decks there is.

I've bought gear from eBay myself (most often for parts to refurb with), and overall a large % of it has arrived catastrophically damaged because sellers are mostly idiots. (Realize sellers = general population = idiots.) And even when you specifically instruct them on how to pack well, so the item arrives in one piece, they still don't do it. Lazy, cheap, stupid. Example: Last month I bought a PCI card from eBay, and told the seller to use an anti-static bag and a box. Want to know how the seller responded to my request? He cancelled the order and blocked me. What a dumb SOB. My previous attempt to buy the card (from yet another seller) also ended badly, as that lazy seller used a grocery bag and an envelope. As expected, the card was broken. Now on attempt #3, fingers crossed! So much time gets wasted on bad eBay buys.

When it comes to packaging, I'm the anti-eBay. And I'm your quality video gear easy button.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs