Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Over the course of the past 15 years, I've doled out technical advice online, using a fun name borne from a hobby at the time when I started doing it. In that time, I've probably racked up close to 100,000 forum postings online. This sharing of knowledge is done simply because I enjoy helping others, and quite often meet great people in the process. Sometimes I can learn something in exchange, too!

Instructions:

If you want my advice
on video technology then this is the best site to do so -- here at The Digital FAQ (digitalFAQ.com).

I won't snap at you, and there's no such thing as a "stupid question". While I participate on other user forums online, this is my self-designated "home" forum. If you want my advice, simply make a post in this forum, asking for me in the body of the post (not the title), and I'll see it. I'll reply when I get a few free moments out of my day -- though please do understand that it may take a few days before I get free time! Don't send me help questions through private messages or through emails. While you can ask for my help on other sites, my answers there will generally be shorter, and may often link back to something I've already written on this forum anyway.

If you send me a private message (PM) at this site or another site online, and ask a technical question, I'll almost always post that question here in this forum (in the appropriate category) and answer it. All follow-up replies/questions will need to continue in the new posting thread that was created here on this site. If you're not yet a member of this site, simply register as a Free Member (or better yet, as a Premium Member!) and you'll get the help you need/want. I do this public cut/paste in order to share as much as I can in public, so that others may read it and learn from it, too! I don't want to "hide" advice in private messages or emails. As is the spirit of this site, I seek to answer frequently asked questions (FAQ) once, and can then simply link to something I've already written online when asked again.

Which brings us back to the point of this post...

Back in the 1990s, I was lordsmurf. Period. But fast forward 10-15 years, and there's quite a few people now claiming that username on various sites (which is surely their right). Most of them are rather young, based on their photos (the Facebook generation doesn't understand the concept of privacy), and the kinds of sites you see them on.

Though not a "household name" of any kind, it appears my username is given out in the "real world" from time to time! (The offline world, where people use sounds to form words.) These people then search Google looking for "lordsmurf" because they need/want my help, or because they're trying to find articles and posts I've written in the past. That can pose a problem, with so many clones now out there. So let me help you sort it out!

LS vs. the others:

Mine! If it has anything to do with video technology, optical media, cartoons, TV shows, photography, action figures, or computer/web/tech-type writing, it's probably me. This includes:
Not me! If it's about video games, if the person has poor grammar/spelling, if English seems to be a second language, if he looks young in a photo (or has a photo of himself, period), or is on a dating/sex site, etc, then it's not me. The "not me" sites include:

Why write this post?

Lately, I've had people approach me online, and then start rambling about various things. I truly had no idea what the hell they were going on about. Some of it was in kiddie speak, some was various foreign languages, and some wanted to strike up conversations about games I'd never even heard of (and honestly don't care to). Next time I get one of those weird private messages, or posts directed at me, I can just point them here. Easy enough.

At the same time, there have been a few people that claimed to have had a "hard time" trying to find me.

So hopefully this fixes both of those problems.

Take care.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Last edited by lordsmurf; 05-05-2023 at 07:58 PM. Reason: updated
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: DeeSeven (07-28-2014), sephi (10-10-2022)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Bumpity-bump-bump-bump!

After 3 years, I was finally able to claim my name for my Twitter feed!!! @lordsmurf

http://twitter.com/lordsmurf

I'll use that one for all my hobby projects from now on. I've overtaken the TVPast feed, and will incorporate the cartoons/TV hobby news in my own feed. (I also have access to the @digitalFAQ account, and will continue to use it for my more professional type site-related posts.)

I'm also somewhat amused that many of the sites with "fakesmurfs" -- many which were video game related -- are now 404 or worse! Ha! Good riddance to the imposters! If it's game site, it's not me.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: DeeSeven (07-28-2014)
07-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

there can only be 1 lordsmurf! Thanks for all that you do here LS, this site has definitely benefited me drastically and I encourage any free member to step it up and be a premium member. The posts in the other section alone are worth the money if you are serious about video/audio
05-07-2021, 07:17 PM
Free Member

This is my first attempt at posting a question on the forum. I am not sure how or where to do it after reading your kind invite to do so. I have searched high and low as to how to clean the remote for a Pioneer 560 DVR. I have unscrewed the two visible screws on the back but cannot figure out how to separate the front from the back. I wish to clean the inside button area. I saw your post regarding cleaning the interior of the machine, and hoped you were familiar with the remote as well. Thank you very much.
05-07-2021, 07:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneerlover View Post
This is my first attempt at posting a question on the forum.
See this: How to Ask Questions / Make New Posts

05-07-2021, 07:35 PM
Free Member

Hi again, wanting to clarify my question.

I have read all the content about posting a question, but could not find a general place to do so. I was able to find a forum regarding cleaning the Pioneer DVR, answered by JWillis64 and Lordsmurf. I tried to ask the question there, but there was an auto response stating that the post was too old and advised not to post. I resorted to sending a direct message to Lordsmurf. Was this the right thing to do?

This was what I was looking for advice about: I have searched high and low as to how to clean the remote for a Pioneer 560 DVR. I have unscrewed the two visible screws on the back but cannot figure out how to separate the front from the back. I wish to clean the inside button area. I saw your post regarding cleaning the interior of the machine, and hoped you were familiar with the remote as well.
Thank you very much.

Last edited by Pioneerlover; 05-07-2021 at 07:42 PM. Reason: more thorough question
05-07-2021, 08:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneerlover View Post
. I resorted to sending a direct message to Lordsmurf. Was this the right thing to do?.
No. Tech questions go in the forum, not PMs.
When you're not sure, just post in the General Discussion forum, we'll move as needed.