Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Free Member

I have a question (for anyone here): Is this just an older version of neat video? Because when I click on it, it says "this free edition of neat video is not intended to be used for commercial purposes". Yet the free edition that I have used in the past has a logo and the vertical lines on each side of the screen (unlike this one). Additionally, this version of neat video does not give you the option to choose between progressive or interlaced video.

So what version is this plug in? Just curious.

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Free Member

Is this version of NeatVideo good for working with interlaced material, or do I need to unweave, apply filters, and weave again?
08-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I need to download the current package and take a look at it.

The plugin for VirtualDub is supposed to just be a connector to the installed version of NeatVideo, at
- C:\Program Files\NeatVideo, for Windows 32-bit systems, or
- C:\Program Files (x86)\NeatVideo, for Windows 64-bit systems

The full Neat Video plugin isn't included, or at least it's not supposed to be. Are you sure you've not previously installed it?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Free Member

LordSmurf,

I don't know what you mean by "connector". Your Virtualdub has Neat Video included in it's filter list, and what I saw was what I got. Was it not supposed to be there? Is that what you mean?

Prior to this, I had a trial version of Neat Video installed in my Virtualdub list.
08-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

As best as I can tell, this is just an older version of the free edition of NeatVideo (VirtualDub plugin edition), a legit non-watermarked version, and not the Home or Pro editions. You'll find a lot of early software had fully free versions, before commercial success came, at which point watermarks were added to non-pay editions. I can think of several programs that are like this. For example, VCDEasy and DVDInfo. (We have archived versions of these freewares attached to forum posts, too! So do a few others sites.)

NeatVideo also did giveawayoftheday.com postings, too, if I recall correctly.

If you really like NeatVideo, and want more modern/current versions, then it's a decent program worth buying. At only $49, that's a bargain in the realm of video software.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Free Member

So does the free, unwatermarked version function any differently than the original copy? I mean, it seems to do what it's supposed to do but I want to make sure there's something I'm not missing out on. It's clearly obvious that this is an older version (as the current trial version has a different look). But again, am I gaining anything in particular if I purchase the current one?

BTW, it's interesting to note that I do have a trial version of the current one (watermarks included, of course). However, when I create a profile for it in the trial version, I am able to open it in your version.
08-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Free Member

Hi LordSmurf,

Just following up on this.

Thanks
08-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I really just don't have any idea.

A complete rebuild of the VirtualDub package is currently being worked on, and may be ready as soon as next week. I'll see what can potentially be learned about NeatVideo between now and then. I long ago upgraded the version that appears on my current primary system used for restoring video. That system is a bare-metal build, with some VMs for testing filters before production use (because sometimes filters crash apps or even the OS). I don't yet know what system the new package will be pulled from.

There are a number of digitalFAQ.com packages that are in process of rebuild/updates right now.

I actually want to learning more about programming, so I can modify a few freeware apps to behave better, stripping out what I consider to be crap, or by altering some things to handle specific workflows (several forks). But that's way, way off from now. Long-term wish list, mostly hoping somebody else beats me to it.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs