I had to share this, it shows how a VCR plays back a tape:
https://youtu.be/lRNv4uM6auI

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-27-2022, 11:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
I don't know about "incredible", but it is quite decent.

I saw some holes, some errors, and left a comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS @ Youtube
Few corrections, additions:

- The "door" is the "tape gate".
- If you're not careful when opening a cassette, the spring will jump out, and it can be difficult for newbies to put back. The spring wasn't shown in the animation.
- Betamax wasn't really "slightly better quality", but merely slightly different. It had a mere higher 4% (max) luma resolution, that didn't really result in a better resolve, due to other variables in the decks. But that simple(ton) 240 vs. 250 math is why some folks think it's better.
- The "circuit board" is almost always referred to as the "mainboard".
- The "guide rollers" are often also referred to as the "tape guides", and these control a type of deck alignment. This alignment is related to tracking. When a tape will not track, it's generally because the player has gone out of alignment, or because the tape was recorded on a misaligned deck. All decks are affected by gravity, and the alignments drift between that and usage over the years/decades.
- The "clear tape" is the "leader".
- "6 heads" is not accurate, and was marketing that added the 4 video heads and 2 audio heads, when describing the unit. Toshiba was the main offender here. No VCR has more than 4 video heads. So a standard HiFi 4-head VCR technically had "6 heads", but only shady advertising referred to all 6.
- HiFi means "high fidelity", and most VCRs from the late 80s, 90s, and 00s were HiFi. Most VCRs from the 70s and early 80s only had linear audio. Do not confuse HiFi with stereo, or linear with mono.
- Many VCRs did not have mainboard buttons, but instead entire dedicated daughter boards that controlled the external buttons.
- VHS tapes have a longevity of 35-65 years, so don't feel pressured by scare tactics to "CONVERT YOUR TAPES BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!" Any company that say such things have limited understanding of the format. Tapes the the 70s and early 80s are now in that 35 degradation window, and could last for another 10/20/30 years. That said, it is prudent to transfer, just don't feel panicked, and make hasty transfer decisions that you'll later regret. Such as converting to now-low-quality DVD format, using cheap gear, or paying a lousy service.
- I see that you read "VCR Troubleshooting and Repair" by Brenner and Capelo, and it's an outstanding read to understand this format and some others.

To learn more: I've discussed VHS and S-VHS VCRs regularly on various video sites for 25+ years now, usually as it related to repair, or the selection of the best decks for digital transfer. I've written multiple VCR buying advice guides.

This was a decent video. I remember seeing something very similar in the 80s, and that video is floating around Youtube somewhere. It used lots of simple drawing and simple CG, to the same effect. Did you ever see that one?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: sephi (10-05-2022)
08-27-2022, 02:33 PM
Free Member

I don't think it's meant for tech savvies, It is for the average person who doesn't know how a VCR operates a cassette, Off course we all know that the tape is moved by the capstan shaft not the pinch roller. You do realize that making an animation like that takes months of work especially when doing it for free. I did a 25 sec animation for two parts interlocking in SolidWorks that it took me several hours, Some may think it's fun, no it's not, it's a lot of stress on the brain.

08-27-2022, 02:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
I don't think it's meant for tech savvies, It is for the average person who doesn't know how a VCR operates a cassette,
I don't think any of the info I added was really technical.

And if anybody wanted to learn more, it may be hard when he used the wrong terms multiple times. As I often state, terms matter.

Quote:
You do realize that making an animation like that takes months of work especially when doing it for free.
It's not free. He's doing it for the Youtube dollars.

But as mentioned, this actually closely mimics an 80s video, to the point where I have a feeling he got inspired by it.

Sure, decent video, but it's clearly put together by somebody with only a (skimmed?) textbook understanding of the inner workings. He made a lot of mistakes, including those by omission. All of his other Youtube videos are similar, not specific to anything.

Quote:
I did a 25 sec animation for two parts interlocking in SolidWorks that it took me several hours, Some may think it's fun, no it's not, it's a lot of stress on the brain.
I remember trying a 10-second animation ... in the late 90s, in Maya. That was awful. Turned me off animation entirely. It's still not much better. I know somebody that just got a degree in animation, had access to cutting edge hardware and software, and it looked about as fun as cutting the lawn with scissors. As you suggest, tedious. He was constantly stressed doing projects.

08-27-2022, 07:06 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I remember trying a 10-second animation ... in the late 90s, in Maya. That was awful. Turned me off animation entirely. It's still not much better. I know somebody that just got a degree in animation, had access to cutting edge hardware and software, and it looked about as fun as cutting the lawn with scissors. As you suggest, tedious. He was constantly stressed doing projects.
Just how I feel about AVISynth!
08-27-2022, 07:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Just how I feel about AVISynth!
For complex scripts, agreed.
For basic scripts, anything that can be done in Hybrid, nah, not that bad.

08-27-2022, 09:46 PM
Free Member

I agree, he has only a surface knowledge about VCR's, If one of us done that animation it would have been completely different, But, would I do it for Youtube money? No.

The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: RobustReviews (08-28-2022)