09-22-2022, 10:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,926 Posts
For the past several weeks, I had to mostly stay offline. No choice, attention needed elsewhere. It was all sudden, unplanned.

Current status:
- emergency house maintenance now under control
- her surgery went well, she is recovering at home now
- my own health took a hit from it all, and I'll be fine, just need to take it slow

Most people can just disappear when needed. But when I do it, folks sometimes freak out, due to TBCs, VCRs, and capture cards (or all 3, workflows) being outstanding. Some items were already sent, I had help, and no I don't yet have any tracking info, that's coming. And then I have a few items to wrap up this week, weekend, and next week. Remember, this is often refurb'd gear, custom work, time needed. Proper packing also takes more time than people realize (as I'm not eBay, where people toss it in a random box, and 'oh well" if it arrives trashed).

Almost everybody has been understanding. Thank you. It is appreciated.

One person has been rude, demanding, inconsiderate, uncaring. He can bite my ass.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Jamm21 (09-30-2022), MilesGT (09-23-2022), oreo137 (09-23-2022)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-22-2022, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for letting us know. I was wondering why you didn't get back to me, but I have my answer here. Sorry to hear that you ran into some stormy weather, but glad to hear you are ok now.
The following users thank Qaenos for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-22-2022)
09-23-2022, 06:48 PM
Free Member

Glad you're back in action
The following users thank nicholasserra for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-25-2022)
09-27-2022, 06:53 PM
Free Member

Glad to hear you're doing better, and thanks for letting us know the status of things.
The following users thank Chupperson for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-28-2022)
09-28-2022, 10:18 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the update. I figured you had life stuff going on. Hope you get to feeling better.

Question for the group: Are there other site admins than LordSmurf? I ask because there's an guide I wrote that I'd like to be re-granted edit privileges on (the goal being to refine it to help users)
The following users thank FleshWound for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-28-2022)
09-28-2022, 11:03 AM
Site Staff | Video

Other Site Staff, mostly behind the scenes, yes.
No way to edit right now, but that's part of the function of the new site.

09-28-2022, 11:06 AM
Free Member

For now the guide should be complete enough in its current form to be useful in the interim. I'll stay tuned on the site update. Thanks!
The following users thank FleshWound for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-06-2022)
09-29-2022, 02:56 AM
Premium Member

The blue guy was MIA? Didn't *sniffle* even *sniffle* notice *sniffle*...BHWAAAAAAAA...GOOD TO KNOW THAT YOU AND YOUR HOUSEHOLD ARE OKAY!!!

Hmmm...to the person who can bite his ass...please tell us it tastes like smurfberries!!!

Love you blue guy!
The following users thank lingyi for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-06-2022)
10-05-2022, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Well wishes and prays for a speedy recovery. Sometimes it's always good to take a break regardless and recharge and avoid burnout. The entire point for taking care of things like this is to be able to continue to produce and perform again on in the long run anyways as it isn't a short term game; you don't want to work yourself into the ground while juggling all sorts of other responsibilities, especially family.
The following users thank sephi for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-06-2022)
10-06-2022, 02:04 AM
Free Member

Wow! I can’t imagine why someone would be so rude! Maybe because they paid $1400 sight unseen for an unidentified vcr and they have been given a long list of excuses why their vcr hasn’t been shipped yet or even when it might be shipped. Or refuse the customer a refund by telling them it is at the shipper. I wouldn’t think that would be considered rude. I mean waiting weeks for a prepaid $1400 item and not getting a solid answer on anything isn’t too much to ask.
10-06-2022, 04:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylars83 View Post
given a long list of excuses
This comment is what makes you an asshole. "excuses". When everything goes sideways at once, and your pre-existing medical condition almost enters a relapse trying to handle it all, it's not a f'ing excuse.

Be lucky you're healthy. If that ever changes, you'll understand.

It's not like I'm sitting around, eating ice cream, and playing video games. I've been forcing myself for weeks now, and it's not good to do so. Fighting fatigue and exhaustion is, after all, what caused this recent snowball. But I need to get many things done, and have been making great progress. I'll get through this.

Quote:
why their vcr hasn’t been shipped yet or even when it might be shipped. Or refuse the customer a refund by telling them it is at the shipper.
Many items are already sent, some even delivered. Anything in limbo is being traced, handled.

Patience.

10-06-2022, 04:16 AM
Free Member

I am hardly the asshole. I faithfully sent you $1400 and you have dodged my questions.
I do suffer from chronic illness, severe and chronic rheumatoid arthritis for the last 35 years. I feel I have been very patient and merely asked questions of which I don’t feel I have received direct answers. I have not asked you to drop everything to attend my needs. I have simply asked for straightforward and honest questions and you have told me that my item was at the shipper and that was weeks ago. Had you simply been upfront with me from the beginning and told me that this could be three months I may have made other decisions. I decided to purchase from you after all of the high praise that I see that has been heaped upon you in this forum. all I asked for was straight answers, and I don’t feel that I have been getting those and when I asked for a refund, you told me it was at the shipper. The lack of communications of which I have all documented as do you has been my biggest concern. I admit that I am not as wise and knowledgeable about your services and devices. But I as the paying customer just wanted straightforward communications. I worked alongside my father in the our hardware store for 50 years so I do have some experience with customer service and I wouldn’t call a customer an asshole on a public forum.
All I’ve asked for is either my money back or slightly more firm answers than what you’ve given me. I still don’t know what item I am buying from you or have any idea of when I could expect to receive it.
Respectfully still.

Last edited by tobylars83; 10-06-2022 at 04:27 AM.
The following users thank tobylars83 for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-06-2022)
10-06-2022, 04:32 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylars83 View Post
and I wouldn’t call a customer an asshole on a public forum.
But sometimes customers are assholes, and cannot be allowed to continue their bad behavior unchecked. I refuse to put up with it. Not snide comments, not passive aggressive, none of that BS.

BTW, I purposely, intentionally made the "asshole" comment in public. I vehemently dislike it when anything I write is referred to as an "excuse". It's not acceptable, and I want others to see an understand that. The dog didn't eat my homework.

Quote:
Respectfully still.
You actually were not the person I referred to in my first post.

Hang in there a few more days, good news is coming your way.

10-06-2022, 03:25 PM
Free Member

LS,
I just want to say, thanks for being so transparent with us. In this day and age, with all the risks of getting ripped off, you set a good example when it comes to communication (no matter how long it takes and regardless of what impatient others say). I hope your week gets better and I look forward to receiving what I bought from you recently.
The following users thank sawing14s for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-07-2022), Pixie (10-07-2022)
10-07-2022, 03:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
please tell us it tastes like smurfberries!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephi View Post
Well wishes and prays for a speedy recovery. Sometimes it's always good to take a break regardless and recharge and avoid burnout. The entire point for taking care of things like this is to be able to continue to produce and perform again on in the long run anyways as it isn't a short term game; you don't want to work yourself into the ground while juggling all sorts of other responsibilities, especially family.
Thank you. That's 100% it.

And burnout has been a concern in recent years. After you do something for decades, it can start to grate on you. Must find outlets to prevent that. I have some, but don't get to do it as often as I would like, or probably need to (ie, for my own sanity).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawing14s View Post
LS,
I just want to say, thanks for being so transparent with us. In this day and age, with all the risks of getting ripped off, you set a good example when it comes to communication (no matter how long it takes and regardless of what impatient others say). I hope your week gets better and I look forward to receiving what I bought from you recently.
Thank you.

I really do try to keep reasonable communication. But sometimes I have to choose between writing/replying to emails/PMs, posting in the forum, or doing actual work (gear refurb, capturing). When people get impatient, flood my inboxes, all it does is make everything take longer.

For example, what I hate is when I reply to a post (perhaps something simple, from a tablet, while I have forced downtime) ... then I literally get multiple PMs/emails: "where's my stuff/tracking?" or "why didn't you reply to my last PM/email yet?" or "can you answer my post now?". (Hell, I''m not even home sometimes! For those that are not aware, we have these awesome devices now, with internet wherever we go!) At some point, honestly, it's just harassment. You have no idea. This is something that ONLY started happening in volume since 2020, this aggressive, impatient, and discourteous. It happened before 2020, but not as often. Every time I post anything in the forum (or other forums), I have to brace myself for a barrage of BS.

Sometimes people "want an update" but there is no update aside from "still processing" or "still in progress". And when I give that as the update, some folks get all pissy. If I take the time (ie, not work again) to actually write out a full explanation, odds are they'd not understand it anyway. Been there, done that. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So for those who are patient, don't near-harass in emails/PMs, thank you.

I'm a person, not Amazon Prime, not a 24/7 bot.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: nebs0n (10-08-2022), Pixie (10-07-2022)
10-07-2022, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the update LS.

I'm waiting on two things and I'm following this thread instead of writing emails/PMs.
The following users thank Qaenos for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-07-2022)
10-07-2022, 11:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
:When people get impatient, flood my inboxes, all it does is make everything take longer.
LordSmurf, I had a couple of ideas I'll humbly submit and if you hate 'em, ignore 'em, but I think making one of two small changes would dramatically reduce the amount of harassment you get via PMs, save you time.

1) Wait to list an item for sale until it's refurbished, packaged, and in the hands of your shipper. That way it's a call/text away from being at the post office in short order (or whatever your arrangement is with them).

[snip]

Your equipment is amazing. You're so talented at refurbishing this old stuff and the resources you provide on this site are incredibly helpful. You are THE MAN when it comes to VHS equipment. I want people to feel the same way about purchasing from you as they do about your equipment, and I really think doing one of those two suggestions would result in a win-win for you and customers.
10-07-2022, 11:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshWound View Post
1) Wait to list an item for sale until it's refurbished, packaged, and in the hands of your shipper.
For multiple reasons, this isn't possible. Everything from testing, to gear selection, to shipping logistics. What I do is more akin to custom work -- not something just pulled off a shelf like Amazon, tossed in a box. If I treated it like a commodity, the gear would not arrive in as good of a condition.

Quote:
Your equipment is amazing. You're so talented at refurbishing this old stuff and the resources you provide on this site are incredibly helpful. You are THE MAN when it comes to VHS equipment.
Hope you see I'm coming from a good place, and hope life is a little less chaotic lately. Peace.
Thanks much.

10-07-2022, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

I'm on my third order with LS. He does eventually ship, but it can a take a while between payment and delivery.

I'm currently waiting on a JVC VCR and a AIW system. Both of which I contacted him about and he offered them for sale so they weren't exactly "ready to go" and needed prep. It takes time and I'm being patient.

I'd be a liar if I didn't say that I wasn't nervous the first time I bought something from LS, though. I had some sweaty palms ordering something off an Internet stranger that costs thousands of dollars and the communication/speed of delivery was definitely not what we are all used to with Amazon etc. But, the items do come eventually and they're good quality so I'm a repeat customer.
The following users thank Qaenos for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-07-2022), Rno_1 (10-07-2022)
Closed Thread