Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-07-2022, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

Are there any Youtube Channels that seem to be knowledgeable about VHS/VC/old video formats? I like watching videos and learning about things in this way in general, which is no doubt limited sometimes, especially in this field, and after reading on this forum, I have this general suspicion that every time I watch a video about VHS/VCR/old video formats that there must be something here they are assuming or some kind of false information they are spreading.

Even as a kid I remember hearing a lot of the myths surrounding tape decay and whatnot without any additional information to qualify the statement. I loved looking at the Myths forum here and dispelling a lot of this; they're great. Anyways, there are dozens of videos of people claiming "how-to" transfer and preserve over VHS to digital for instance, but as we all know, the "best" way to do something like this isn't easily done. The way information is spreading is now in videos on Youtube, and the comment section usually gets buried/is limited on the correction.

That being said, this website is probably the best source for information about all of this, but I was wondering if there were any good, "approved" videos from posters here. If so, this would be a good place to post them or collect them here. I'd love to post video links for the people with the real know-how to curate them, but I honestly can't expect people to put the time into something like that. "Hey watch this video and tell me what they said is wrong." Even huge channels, which provide fairly accurate general education on a lot of tech topics like Linus Tech Tips, and their new recent video on their channel had questionable information in it, which is what partially sparked the idea. Anyways, let me know what you think and if you have found a useful video, please post it here. Thank you.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-08-2022, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

Techmoan reviews lots of old tech, including videotapes. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=techmoan

The 8-Bit Guy shows numerous video formats that many have never known about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvXXkB2jic0
The following users thank lingyi for this useful post: sephi (10-10-2022)

Tags
video, youtube