Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-08-2022, 12:02 PM
Free Member

I have a JVC HR-S7600U and an Elgato capture card (using S-Video). The VCR has played VHS tapes just fine, however there is one tape it struggles with. The picture is constantly scrolling up when the JVC’s TBC/DNR is enabled, but when I turn the TBC/DNR off it stops scrolling, but seconds later loses signal.

When I fast forward/rewind or even pause with the TBC enabled the picture doesn’t scroll, but as soon as I press play it freezes on that frame, and you can still hear the audio playing.

I thought I had a nice VCR from what I’ve read. Maybe it’s my capture card? Or, I’m assuming I’ll have to get an external TBC? If so, what ones are available and preferably cheaper than a few thousand dollars if even possible. Thank you all for your help!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-08-2022, 03:37 PM
Free Member

I'm sure others will elaborate but a line TBC in a VCR will only align the lines within a given frame. A rolling problem sounds like an issue from frame-to-frame, which is something a frame TBC might address.
10-08-2022, 11:50 PM
Free Member

Do you know of any frame TBC’s I could get and how much they are?
10-09-2022, 12:17 AM
Free Member

Ammonrose, here's a good resource for you: https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...time-base.html
10-09-2022, 10:53 AM
Free Member

Thank you, I’ll check that out. I did forget to mention that when I turn stabilization on in the settings it turns off the TBC/DNR, but it stops the video from rolling. It also makes the colors looks weird here and there throughout, so it’s not the best option. Does this still sound like frame-to-frame issue?
10-09-2022, 12:41 PM
Free Member

I'm not an expert on frame TBCs, so I won't speculate any more than I already have. Hopefully others will respond confirming/denying my suspicion.
10-09-2022, 01:07 PM
Free Member

Likely there is some problem at the top of the video signal in the non-visible part of the image that the capture card and tbc struggles with.
Could be a misaligned recording or some other issue. The video stabilizer replaces that part of the signal based on the switching between heads in the vcr afaik, so that's why it might have an impact here, though as you say it can't be used in conjunction with TBC/DNR. (Not sure why that is, maybe it would defeat macrovision or something). The same thing happens when you rewind/fast forward/pause a tape in any vcr but the the later JVCs allowed it to also be used during normal playback with the video stabilizer feature.

It's possible the panasonic dvd-recorders oft discussed here would do the trick rather than needing to shell out for the datavideo and similar TBCs but hard to say for sure.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
10-09-2022, 02:40 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonrose View Post
I have a JVC HR-S7600U
Good.

Quote:
and an Elgato capture card
Not good.

Quote:
The picture is constantly scrolling up when the JVC’s TBC/DNR is enabled, but when I turn the TBC/DNR off it stops scrolling, but seconds later loses signal.
When I fast forward/rewind or even pause with the TBC enabled the picture doesn’t scroll, but as soon as I press play it freezes on that frame, and you can still hear the audio playing.
That may be the Elgato, or lack of frame TBC, or both.

Quote:
I thought I had a nice VCR from what I’ve read. Maybe it’s my capture card? Or, I’m assuming I’ll have to get an external TBC?
You self-diagnosed quite well here. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshWound View Post
I'm sure others will elaborate but a line TBC in a VCR will only align the lines within a given frame. A rolling problem sounds like an issue from frame-to-frame, which is something a frame TBC might address.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonrose View Post
Thank you, I’ll check that out. I did forget to mention that when I turn stabilization on in the settings it turns off the TBC/DNR, but it stops the video from rolling. It also makes the colors looks weird here and there throughout, so it’s not the best option. Does this still sound like frame-to-frame issue?
Capture card still likely.
I really think it's a case of both not helping the situation. Bad card, no frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshWound View Post
I'm not an expert on frame TBCs, so I won't speculate any more than I already have. Hopefully others will respond confirming/denying my suspicion.
Denied, denied! No soup for you!

Just kidding.

You did well, suspicions confirmed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-09-2022, 05:33 PM
Free Member

Is this a situation where the condition of the VCR (caps/belts) may be in play, and even having a second VCR for difficult tapes?