Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Why the New Feature Exists

At the top of every PM page is this notice:

Quote:
Site Staff does NOT reply to tech question in PMs. This includes advice such as "Which ____ to buy?" or "Which ____ to use?" That includes capture cards, TBCs, blank discs, web hosts, etc. That's not what PMs are for. That's what the forum is for.

There are, however, times when a PM is appropriate. For example, if you're bidding on an eBay auction and do not want to draw attention to it, that's fine. Send us a link to the item on eBay, and also send us a link to the post on the digitalFAQ.com forum where you've asked the tech questions. ("Is this a good thing to buy?", etc.)

All service related inquires (video conversion, hosting, web design, etc) should be sent via email using the Contact Us form.

Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.
Yet some still ignore this.

The most annoying people are the few that submit a question to the forum, then PM us right away with "please reply to my question!". But that was already covered here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...-answered.html. There's a queue in place, and we'll often see your post within minutes. We'll reply when we can, and priority always goes to clients and Premium Members.

Private messages should NEVER be used to ask tech question! Not to each other, and certainly not to Site Staff. That's why we have the forum! We do not like to hide advice in PMs (or emails) because then we'd have to keep repeating it over and over again when asked. That's silly.

Starting today, we'll be blocking PMs from those that habitually cannot read. It's going to be like baseball -- three strikes and you're out! That person won't be able to PM Site Staff anymore.

And you can do it too!

How to Block PMs

Go to your PMs:

pmblock1.jpg

On the left side of the page is that menu that you always ignore.

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

On that page is the PM Block List. Enter the nuisance names, and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and Save Settings.

pmblock2.jpg

Done!

User Blocked! / Conclusion

What I find amusing is that you won't get the "blocked" message until wasting time typing out the PM. They'll type it out, then try to send it, then see the rejection message.

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

You wasted our time, so now we get to waste yours!

I know that I sound like a real hard@ss in this post, but it's gotten out of hand lately. Enough.

Just use the forum, okay?

This was a far nicer solution to banning nuisance members, which we'd considered.

I also wanted this to be an available option to the forum regulars. We really, really, really appreciate the input from members like volksjager, NJRoadfan, msgohan, juhok, jmac698, Brent -- and some others I'm probably overlooking while quickly making this post. I don't at all want them to be unhappy with things here. So if somebody is being a pain in your butt -- block them!

And no, you can't block PMs from Site Staff.

Enjoy! (I know I will!)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This has been most helpful, and has already reduced my workload here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.