Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-28-2014, 01:32 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaleonid View Post
I can't find your post from a few years back, but you were the one who said that dot crawls and rainbows can't be fixed via software filter and thus you can only do so via motion adaptive 3d comb filter during realtime video capture.
I've not dealt much with dot crawl issues for at least 2 years now now, so defer to my older post on it. I was far more neck-deep in it at that time, and my advice came directly from the trenches of several projects.

Although, as Sanlyn states, there's been some headway in software filters in recent years (mostly Avisynth). Hardware is where it starts (avoidance, as stated), but software is how you have to remove most embedded errors.

Quote:
If software filter for removing dot crawls and rainbows exists, then I'd be rather doing S-Video captures from LDs and then run them through the software based filter.
I've not dealt much with Laserdisc for several years now.

Quote:
Additionally, I was told by LD player's repair men that my LD player picks up composite from the LaserDisc, then separates Y from C and then outputs it to S-Video terminal. But for composite terminal it recombs Y and C after the separation takes place and outputs to the Composite terminal. So in this case what should be done? S-Video because it's separated anyway, or Composite (even though it is recombed)? One of the repair person told me to still use composite for video capture because the signal is cleaner.
Each player acts differently, from what I've read. I use to have 3-4 reliable contacts, each of whom could rattle off the best equipment and why (technical/professional details), but I've since lost contact with them. The best players were all the later near-EOL expensive/rare Pioneer decks -- that much I do recall.

It sounds like, for that player, s-video is best.

Or a better player may exist, and that one shouldn't be used at all.

As stated, test it and see which is best -- composite or s-video. However, as also stated, don't try to find too many parallels between VHS and Laserdisc -- there's really not any. Each is a beast of its own, and has it's own set of flaws. The workflows for the formats are different.

I've never been a die-hard Laserdisc conversion enthusiast, as I never had a player in those days. It wasn't until the 2000s that I dabbled in converting some discs, because the movies only existed in that format. In each case, both the deck and the movies were loaners. I only own one Laserdisc, and I have no idea where it is anymore. Having moved 5 times in 12 years, once without my direct involvement, a few things have gone missing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors