Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Free Member

it's hard to read various posts (especially about hardware) not knowing if one uses PAL or NTSC TV standards. if one completed the location field (or at least PAL vs NTSC), it would be much easier. otherwise, one should be explicit about the TV system in their posts.

thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-19-2015, 01:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
A lot of us use both.

Aside from the VCR, and the capture/working resolutions, there tends to be very little difference between PAL and NTSC (and SECAM). Only the goofy formats like PAL-60 ever pose a problem, and that's only used in Brazil, and for PAL hardware that cheats to "convert" (not convert) a signal.

I often mention x576 (PAL) and x480 (NTSC) in my posts and guides, for this very reason. At any time, I may be posting samples from either format.

There are additional profile fields aside from location, but nobody ever uses them (and I'm guilty of this myself). At one point they were customized, not forum software default. But again, nobody used them.

A location of "NTSC + PAL" would suffice, to keep it short.

Are you running into any particular problems? Feel free to always ask in post reply, to help clarify.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-19-2015, 11:01 AM
Free Member

let me give you an example. people do various experiments and find out that a certain TBC, DVD recorder or VCR model works great not explaining the TV system in question. then i search for that given model number (usually very obscure) and waste a lot of time downloading some fake manuals and sometimes even virus infected ones to find out that model only does NTSC while i need PAL hardware for my project.

it gets old very quick, making those posts essentially useless.