Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Free Member

Hello all,

New member, first post. I thought I'd keep it relatively simple

For those of you with multiple S-VHS machines, and other devices like TBCs and so on, how do you handle management of the devices and cables?

For example, I have three S-VHS decks and am getting one more. I have a 32" HDTV and a small monitor that I use. I have an AVT-8710 and a StarTech capture gimmick for USB3.

When I start a new VHS tape project, I start with the deck that gives the best visual quality. If that has an issue, I unplug everything, and plug it back into the next deck in line. And so on.

Since most decks only have one set of outputs, plugging and unplugging over and over is getting to be a real pain! I have limited working space, and having to twist everything around to get to the back of each device, and the TV, is getting old fast.

Can I use an AV switch of some kind, or does that just add more noise|complexity|problems?

With that out of the way, let me say I love this site. The depth of information and the lack of clutter is truly amazing.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-03-2017, 11:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Plugging and unplugging s-video cables from the VCR can lead to gradual loosening of the connections. That's not good. I learned this the hard way, and incurred repair costs. What I did was get a 3-foot s-video extension cable. mine are coiled up tightly by the deck, and then I can plug/unplug from the extension. If (when!) the extensions or wires go bad, just get new ones. It's MUCH cheaper than a deck/TBC repair! I go through ATI AIW bricks about every 5 years, for the same reason.

Like so: https://www.amazon.com/kenable-S-vid...ideo+extension

EDIT: ^ I think I actually have 3-meter, not 3-foot.

Using the best deck for the task is very wise. I've long done that, since the 90s.

DO NOT use a switch. Switches were never pro gear, meaning lesser components that will add noise and interference. Even if pro gear had existed, it'd still not be suggested, for the same noise/interference concerns.

If you need longer runs, coil your extensions shorter or not at all.

We try to keep the site on-topic and organized.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Free Member

That was my guess.. I was prepared to use "extra" sets of cables, leaving them plugged in, and am working on a way to clip them to the edge of the work table so I can just unhook them and plug them into whatever I need. I'll probably use binder clips like this (1st image):

http://smallbusiness.com/getting-org...ds-and-cables/

Your point about wearing out connectors is valid. Not to mention, S-Video cables are difficult to align when you're reaching around behind something. They're almost as bad as USB - only two ways to try, and mine always go in on the 3rd!

It just occurred to me that we could use a s-video gender changer on the intermediate devices (TBCs etc), and never worry about damaging those connectors as well.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...-video+coupler

Last edited by BeerOnABeach; 04-03-2017 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added info
04-04-2017, 07:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The gender changer would probably work, but costs more than a simple extension cable.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs