Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-14-2017, 12:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Sometimes the forum regulars here need non-video threads to unwind. I know I do!

So, easy question: Can you cook?

And I happy to report that I can.

Some of my favorite dishes include:

- Over-easy fried egg sandwich, either ham or bacon, real cheese, side of hash browns, skim milk.
- Catfish, lightly pan-fried with flour, coated in spinach leaves.
- Pork chops, either lightly pan-friend with flour, or flour-less (batter-less) with simple seasoning
- Chicken roast: slow cook potatoes, boneless/skinless chicken breast, carrots, string beans in pyrex bowl, add a bit of water and bouillon cubes.
- Chicken salad: make roast with extra chicken, use for this. Fresh pecans (home grown!), raisins/craisins, apple, celery, all finely diced. Easy on mayo.
- Gourmet toaster-oven sandwich: fancy bread (ryes and whole grains are awesome), 1-2 meats, 1-3 cheeses, tomato, spinach and onion (heated or cold), lettuce if cold veggies
- Salmon salad: literally make a salad with green and/or iceberg lettuce, add can of pink salmon, tiny drop of French/catalina dressing, crushed saltine (salt-free best), raisins/craisins.

For stovetop:
- Olive oil is a must.
- Never added salt.
- Lots of garlic, 1-3 peppers, onion powder, tenderizer for pork/beef, liquid smoke for pork/beef

I almost never use a microwave. Hate them.

I can't bake worth a darn. The term "culinary abortion" would be fitting for some of my attempts.

But I'm a whiz on the stove, using the oven (non-baking), and even open flame.

I try to stay healthy.

And no, I've never read or followed recipes. Most of what I do is me simply wandering into the store or pantry, seeing something, and attempting a dish. Some need perfecting, while others are good on first try. Some are disappointing one-hit wonders, while others (like the above dishes) are favorites. This is how my dad cooks, and it's how I do it too!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-17-2017, 12:22 PM
Free Member

Some of the things I like to cook in no particular order

Boiled potatoes. skin or not but try throwing a turnip in with it when you boil gives a nice flavor. butter and pepper

Blackberry pie. usually in august when the berries are available right outside in the yard. I just use the blueberry pie recipe in betty crockeres cookbook sometimes add a teaspoon of cinnamon only use half the sugar as i dont like too sweet. Its always better if you make your own crust so make a double crust recipe and you can cover the pie also. I like to use butter for the crust but have substituted vegetable oil Crisco and even coconut oil when I dont have enough butter like half and half or so.

tuna sandwich with a big tomato slice on it. I used to put salt on the tomato. no more.

crock pot beans (dried pinto beans) soak overnight you can just cook longer if you forget to soak but I prefer to soak.
Start the beans. after a couple of hours, throw in that leftover ham bone from the spiral ham you just finished or two strips of bacon on top. Or you can use pork chops or leftover pork sirloin. Add whatever you got onions, bell, jalapeno,sweet pepper and put in some black pepper. no salt the meat will take care of that. leftovers go great with eggs in morning

Salmon (fillet) slathered with mayonnaise. then cheese, pepper and cut up onion and peppers on the barbecue or oven.
The mayo or is it the cheese keeps the salmon from drying out. usually cooked on foil.

Salmon steaks most often I cook this way as it is easier. Barbecue or broil eat slowly and pick out the bones and peel off the skin as you eat it.

Dutch oven chicken. take a bunch of chicken parts put in pan add potatoes, pepper, cook till tender. this is cooked in a pan with a lid in an oven. This is a very easy thing to cook and can be bland so be prepared to doctor it up

Hamburgers. chop up onion, peppers. garlic etc (even some black olive) in a large bowl homogenize the meat and spice mixture and black pepper. You will find the meat will reach a saturation point and will hold only so much stuff. Cook the resultant patties in a pan or the barbie. I prefer well done. These burgers are so much better than what you find at fast food places. Also I think it makes a difference where you buy the meat and it doesn't have to be the lowest fat content due to the grease will cook/drip out anyway.

Salads. yes. two or more kinds of lettuce is nice and onion black olive croutons make it palatable. Cukes (and dont forget about those yuppie English cucumbers) and avocado, whatever you have laying around. Eat a big salad.

Last edited by bever; 08-17-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: order of operation filet of salmon
08-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
- Catfish, lightly pan-fried with flour, coated in spinach leaves.
This particularly intrigues me as spinach is often added to our stir fry and in salad. I have not used it in a batter fry yet though. Do you grind up the spinach with the batter? The common fish here in pac norwest is rock fish/snapper or going lowbrow tillapia. My wife likes to sneak in some spinach in my crock pot pinto beans and pork and it is always better for it
08-17-2017, 07:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bever View Post
This particularly intrigues me as spinach is often added to our stir fry and in salad. I have not used it in a batter fry yet though. Do you grind up the spinach with the batter? The common fish here in pac norwest is rock fish/snapper or going lowbrow tillapia. My wife likes to sneak in some spinach in my crock pot pinto beans and pork and it is always better for it
No, not ground.

What I do is this:
- light olive oil in pan (just enough to coat), raw fish filters still on plate
- add lemon pepper
- add tiny amount flour (same as lemon pepper) to absorb fish moisture
- add honey (or molasses), brush it on
- attach whole spinach leaves (or baby spinach leaves)
- coat with either more flour or a fish fry mix (store bought or homemade)
- toss fish into pan, fry about 5-10 minutes, occasionally slicing into on with knife to see if it's flaky (done)

Molasses gives it a dark taste, while honey a light taste.
The spinach cancels out some fishy taste, and adds healthy benefit to the meal.

Sometimes the spinach comes off in the pan, but no worries. Just scoop it up and eat with a fork. In fact, what I like to also do is place lots of spinach leaves in the olive oil, before adding the fish. Then you get both the main course (fish) and a side dish (spinach) all in one pan. And I'm all about 1-pan meals. I can do a lot of stuff in a single large frying pan/skillet. To me, it's a like a small griddle.

Be sure to cover the pan while cooking. It will fry more evenly. I use a large wok lid.

If you can choose between North American catfish, and Asian swai, go for the swai. It has a sweeter and less-fishy taste. The body of the filets is also thicker.

Do not try this with talapia. Nor salmon. Rock fish is a gamble.

This tastes awesome with northern beans and some yellow rice.

Optional: Finish off with a non-cheap non-dark beer. Just one, for flavor. Regional brews are great, like a Shiner (Texas) or Alaskan. If not beer, then tea (sweet or unsweet).

Yum.

FYI: I made this 2 days ago.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-28-2017, 03:26 AM
Free Member

Hello, i LOVE cooking, but do not have the time i wish to have for that hobby. Interestingly, Ill try a new recipes for lemon cake - will share it later if successful