Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Cameras: Buying & Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
What website out there is good for comparing Nikon vs canon specifically in regard to lens’s and pricing?
There's really nothing out there to reliably show you pricing. If you use Pricegrabber, for example, you'll miss out on comparing all the major camera stores like B&H, Adorama, OneCall and Calumet. But you'll also miss out on the well-priced regional stores like Canoga, Central Camera, Arlington Camera and some others. It's best to go to each store, and compare what they have.

And I didn't even mention the local B&M stores like Best Buy, office stores, and other regional electronics stores.

At best, you can learn the MSRP, and then visit a store like B&H, to get a handle on the approximate budget.

NOTE --- Remember that this site has affiliates with some stores, so use our links when you browse and shop!
See http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...-com-1528.html
Thanks!

As far as comparing lenses, I'm not readily aware of a site that compares all the lenses. The popular photo review site http://www.dpreview.com has lens reviews in addition to camera reviews, but it's far from complete. See it at http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/#manuf

In addition to that, dpreview tends to worship numbers more than anything else. Ken Rockwell refers to this phenomena as "measurebating" -- a pretty darn accurate term! Like a number of other publications (About.com, PC World and some others comes to mind), they give a few fluffy positives, no substantial negatives, and then throw a chart of numbers at you. What you learn from these is a big fat nothing.

Your best avenue for research is to ask knowledgeable photographers -- TRUE photographers, not just a buddy that owns a camera !!! -- and then ask some questions at a pro camera store. Not Best Buy, but a camera store. In your particular case, go to Arlington Camera in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.

I know quite a bit about cameras, so ask those questions here.

I have lens caps that cost more than some people's cameras.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors