Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Cameras: Buying & Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

I found this; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

is this legit? As of this typing, it has 1 day & 1 hour left, it would be nice if I could get a response before this listing ends. They said it comes with the original receipt.

what I find a little off is that it has not been snapped up yet as of this typing.

how can I tell a grey market item from a genuine Nikon item? are ones on ebay safe? I have seen alot of new unopened boxes with the receipt fom best buy, & these went fast.

I even e-mailed Nikon about cameras on ebay & this is what they replied with;

Hello Sossity,

Thank you for contacting Nikon USA.
Ebay is a Nikon authorized dealer. They may sell used and non-US products, but they should inform you about it. If the D7000 that you purchase is used the warranty is not transferable. If its a non-US product there won't be a warranty and in order for us to service it under a fee, we will need the receipt from the country where it was purchased. In the case that its a new US product, all you need is the copy of the receipt from Ebay. It could be a copy or the original for your 1 year manufacturer warranty.

Hope you find this information useful.

Regards,
Claribel C.

Last edited by Sossity; 10-27-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I would not do it.
I'll reply with more details in a while. (World Series starts in 5 minutes, and I'll be sitting on a couch for the next 3-4 hours!)

It's just not a good idea.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
10-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

I also found this, & from your advice so far, I may just wait for this; http://www.adorama.com/INKD7000A.html

it is from one of the sellers that was advised to me, & it is a better deal than the ebay body one. And I can get the lenses that were suggested to me instead of the standard one that comes with the camera.

so if I get a nikon from amazon, I should get it from amazon itself only, not from other sellers even if they have 97-100% positive rating?

well it looks like I will have to shelve the idea of a new nikon d7000 DSLR at the moment, it seems all the reputable places that would sell them dont have them in stock right now.

are there any full frame nikons with a movie mode under $2,500? it does not look like there is.
10-28-2010, 08:32 AM

Amazon has the body for $1,199 and I would not pay any more than that.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957

It goes in and out of stock. Amazon generally restocks around 3-4 a.m CST each day.
Right now, I believe everybody is just taking pre-orders, based on their initial stock numbers, and that the body has not actually been shipped from the manufacturer to stores. Amazon has mostly just opened and closed for pre-orders, nothing shows to have been "in stock" as of yet.

I would not pay $1,320 to Adorama for that "kit" -- which is essentially a $1,200 body and some crap they've added in for $120. The MACK warranty is redundant and useless (Nikon already warranties the body). The camera bag is nothing special, and I'd much rather pick out a bag locally from Best Buy, Walmart or a camera shop. I can get a memory reader for under $10 from an office supply store. And then a good 8GB SD memory card runs about $20 online.

Amazon tends to get more cameras in stock than B&H and others these days, not sure why, but that's why I've largely switched to using Amazon for photo gear in the past couple of years.

If you need a camera right now, October/November, then we may have to look at secondary options. If you can wait until December or so, I'm betting you can snag one with some patient and endurance.

10-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for your help & guidance with all this, I feel better knowing I am being steered in the right direction, & have not fallen for any scams so far, I would rather just wait & get the real deal from amazon when they get them in stock again. If Nikon is on the ball or has business sense, they will come out with another wave of their new cameras in time for the holiday rush.

I clicked on that ebay listing, & it has been removed now, so perhaps there was some funny business going on with it.

I have seen some of the Nikon cameras are full frame & one of the folks here has the full frame Ds3, closest to a 35mm film frame, do I need this for shooting artwork? or will the DX work out? would it make a critical difference? I read that the full frame handles low light a bit better. Most of the FX are too expensive for me anyway, the closest one & even this is a bit too much is the D700, but it does not look like it has a movie feature, of which is not crucial too me, it would be nice to have, as I do shoot video as well.

Sorry if this is a repeat Q, but I thought I would add this in in case any one here does not get time to answer my other thread about this. Since I am faced with a wait, I thought I would try & learn a bit more about these Nikon cameras, so I can make an informed decision.
10-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Ebay is a Nikon authorized dealer.
This is easily the most idiotic thing that Nikon has ever said, in terms of what I've seen in the past 15+ years. eBay is not a store. eBay is a marketplace full of millions of people, both buyers and sellers, and is infamous for fraud, scams and shady dealings. Nikon may as well say that "the planet Earth is a Nikon authorized dealer". The reply you got is absolutely, utterly brain-dead ridiculous. This "Claribel C." replied to you with some sort of canned reply message and didn't even take the time to read your inquiry. How pathetic.

Quote:
so perhaps there was some funny business going on with it.
Very likely.

Quote:
I have seen some of the Nikon cameras are full frame & one of the folks here has the full frame Ds3, closest to a 35mm film frame, do I need this for shooting artwork? or will the DX work out? would it make a critical difference? I read that the full frame handles low light a bit better. Most of the FX are too expensive for me anyway, the closest one & even this is a bit too much is the D700, but it does not look like it has a movie feature, of which is not crucial too me, it would be nice to have, as I do shoot video as well.
Full-frame bodies, generally speaking, have larger sensors that therefore create images with less noise, assuming similar/same megapixels. The full frame bodies can also use standard 35mm (non-crop) lenses at their full optical range.

And I can once again shoot with a 28-80mm lens on my FX D3s, and it will be a true 28 and 80 length. On the D200 body I use as backup now, the 28 is more like 45mm (no longer wide) and the 80 is closer to 120mm (extra distance!). When I shot sports, my 80-200mm f/2.8 lens was suddenly more like a 300 f/2.8 lens! So there are some advantages to the 1.5x crop bodies.

DX vs FX isn't necessarily "better" as much as it's just different. For your current situation, and your subject matter, I would not spend any time or funds on full-frame (FX, as Nikon calls it) bodies. The crop form-factor bodies (APS-C sized / 1.5x crop) are going to be perfectly fine. I was shooting art in museums with a D1 (a Nikon crop body) ten years ago, and it looked absolutely brilliant when published in the newspaper. I shot my own art with a D200 just a year ago, and it looks perfectly fine.

I used my 50mm f/1.8 for both shoots, FYI.

Quote:
If Nikon is on the ball or has business sense, they will come out with another wave of their new cameras in time for the holiday rush.
This really comes back to Canon v Nikon, in terms of how they operate.

Again, Canon is a consumer electronics company, and they would love nothing more than to take every opportunity to put a Canon branded item (camera, printer, whatever) in your hands. While Canon does make quite a few good items, especially cameras, they've also made a lot of crap that I feel was made in haste simply to make a buck. Their first D20 and D30 DSLR cameras, for example, from back in 2000-2002 (or thereabouts) were awful. Some of their scanners have been the same way -- cheap/flimsy stuff. I've already commented on the lousy quality of their kit lenses.

Nikon, on the other hand, is not as consumer driven. Remember that they're a glass/optics company that also makes cameras. Yes, they want to sell their goods, but they're not necessarily going to pander to every opportunity, and they never rush. (Indeed, sometimes they move painfully slow! For example, only in 2007 did they finally make a full-frame body!) They're more interested in the quality of their items. It may not be good business sense, by some definitions, but it's what they do. And it's hard to argue how they operate, given the exceptional quality of their gear.

They just operate differently.

Christmas shopping season just isn't going to be the driving force behind the Nikon manufacturing schedule.

While I would love to see D7000's easily available for Christmas, I imagine it will still be somewhat hit-or-miss at that time. It will go in and out of stock, so you'll want to just check the site each morning to see if it's your lucky day. Have the credit card ready, click the mouse fast, and make sure you already have your Amazon account created. Don't wait until the day your order to create an account! That may take too much time. Nothing sucks more than having something go out of stock while it's in your shopping cart! (Been there, done that.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-29-2010, 01:27 AM
Premium Member

Yes it does seem like Nikon works differently, although if they are a company concerned about quality, they need to work on their customer service from what you said about the e-mail response I got from them.

I guess I am used to or have become a little jaded about big companies, it seems most are just concerned about the bottom line, not quality or people, but it appears that not all are like this. You dont think it is a ploy of Nikon, to create scarcity to inflate prices? come out with something new, create a buzz, then deliberately make a limited quality to make prices inflated. Oops, I guess this is my more suspicious side about big companies & corporations coming out again.

If I were to choose one of the other current Nikon DSLR's beside the d7000, from my description of my needs, which other model would be good? I looked at the d300s, would it work for my needs? is there enough resolution for shooting art? is it future proof?

Last edited by Sossity; 10-29-2010 at 01:58 AM.
11-02-2010, 02:42 AM

Let's run over your needs and wants again. And do it in a new thread, if you don't mind.

Make three lists in the new thread:
1. Your absolute needs -- what this body MUST do for you.
2. Your wants -- what you'd like it to do beyond your core needs.
3. A run-down of your budget (ideal + max), timeline when you need it, and full specs of whatever camera you are using currently, as well as a description of your photo experience to date (including types of cameras you've used - P&S vs SLR, film vs digital).

I know that's a lot of info, but we're giving custom advice here, not generic advice. One size fits none.