Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Processing, Scanning & Printing

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

my dad has an old yellowed newspaper article that he wants me to scan, it is very long, so my scanner will not scan the whole page, I have to scan into parts.

I have photoshop cs5 on a mac, & photoshop elements on a pc.

how do I clean up the scans, so it looks not yellowed, & merge them together?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

What a coincidence! Last month I was scanning some posters from the late 1970s, which hung on my bedroom walls many moons ago. Extremely rare, mostly magazine pullouts. After scanning each corner and the middle areas of the posters with my Epson V600 (a very high quality scanner for only $200!), and saving images directly to the desktop, I dragged the 6+ pieces into a separate folder on the desktop. Once that was done, I started Photoshop.

On this Mac, I have Photoshop CS5. The full version, not Elements. In Photoshop CS5, you simply go to File > Automate > Photomerge. Select the images to be merged (go into your folder, hold SHIFT, and click the first and last one on the list to select them all), and the pick your merge method. Auto is often correct. The pieces will be warped, skewed, rotated, etc, as needed, to create the merge.

Photomerge has gotten better over time, too. CS3 was decent, CS4 improved more, but I can definitely see how CS5 is the best to date. I didn't merge photos very much, pre-CS3. (Prior to some CS3 projects, the last time I merged photos was before filters like this existed, in the mid 1990s.)

Now as far as un-yellowing goes, it may help if I had a sample of the scan. Generally speaking, in CS5 there's the nifty trio of filters under Image: Auto Tone, Auto Contrast, Auto Color. These are actually pretty decent. You can also alter levels and color saturation.

An alternative method (sometimes better, sometimes not) is to go into Adobe Bridge, and edit the JPEG with Adobe Camera Raw, and use the white balance tool.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.