Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Processing, Scanning & Printing

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-04-2013, 01:57 AM
Premium Member

I recently came across some small sketchbooks ranging from 3 x 5 to 8 & 1/2 x 11 that I would like to digitize,

I know I asked something similar in regards to album art, but I would just like a confirmation for scan settings.

I am using my Epson 4490,

is using Epson scan OK to get the initial scan? I usually use it for a few basic settings, & do most of the color tweaking etc in Photoshop.

for settings, I think I may use the same ones as suggested to me for album art, 24 bit, sRGB 600 dpi, I want these for archiving, printing, & the web. will this be good enough for my sketches? the sketches a pencil & colored pencil as well as some inks, & watercolor.

I found some earlier scans of some of my sketches, & they were in Adobe RGB at 24 bit. Should I convert them to sRGB? I dont remember why these settings were used, this may have been before I knew as much about scanning & colors. Now if I use Adobe RGB, I also use 48 bit.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
You can if you want. Adobe RGB really isn't used anymore, from what I've seen.
I forget the weaknesses of AdobeRGB, but I'd just never use it. However, I don't go back and always redo everything.
I tend to leave well enough alone, if it's okay, and has no serious flaws.
And I think that's mostly a printing issue anyway. Plus, of I'm not mistaken, you can just open and re-save with a new profile.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-03-2013, 03:05 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the response, been away, so I have just now seen this reply. When I can open and resave in another, would it be any good to save an sRGB image to Adobe RGB? I dont think this would gain anything, is it meant if I have an image in Adobe RGB I can save or convert to sRGB.