Go Back    Forum > Search Forums
Showing results 1 to 25 of 33
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts Made By: aramkolt
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 05-04-2024, 08:24 AM
Replies: 16
Views: 331
Posted By aramkolt
As with anything, there are pros and cons to the...

As with anything, there are pros and cons to the method you choose. These are my opinions - not claiming that they are "right" or better than anyone else's.

Pros of the HDMI capture route:
-Far...
Forum: Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 04-28-2024, 10:48 AM
Replies: 2
Views: 115
Posted By aramkolt
Since it isn't a first generation tape (you...

Since it isn't a first generation tape (you mention that it is a dub), it might not be possible to totally correct, but my guess is that a DMR-ES10 in passthrough mode will help some or possibly fix...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 04-13-2024, 08:21 PM
Replies: 13
Views: 394
Posted By aramkolt
I've heard it doesn't cause any harm just loosen...

I've heard it doesn't cause any harm just loosen the screws in the cassette by just enough for the shell to start to separate which is probably good enough to get the transfer. Re-casing also is a...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 04-12-2024, 04:02 PM
Replies: 3
Views: 156
Posted By aramkolt
Depends on the price and if the machine is likely...

Depends on the price and if the machine is likely in good condition/low hours. If it's local, I'd say make sure you get to see it play a known good tape and pop the top cover off to look for any...
Forum: General Discussion 04-08-2024, 09:56 PM
Replies: 5
Views: 197
Posted By aramkolt
I was around Findlay, OH just with a modern...

I was around Findlay, OH just with a modern iPhone and 3x lens. I'd say the most interesting part was how quickly it went from what seemed to be slightly overcast to totally dark. The video is not...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 03-28-2024, 06:24 PM
Replies: 15
Views: 327
Posted By aramkolt
I have a couple of 9200's and they seem to work...

I have a couple of 9200's and they seem to work fine in an Asrock AGP8x slot.

You can get them for like $25 here and I'm not sure why you're "hunting" for them...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 03-28-2024, 06:01 PM
Replies: 8
Views: 272
Posted By aramkolt
These are some interesting results. The LG...

These are some interesting results.

The LG looks like it is outputting an incorrect aspect ratio for one, I believe the JVC (on the right) is scaled to the appropriate 4:3. I could see it...
Forum: Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 03-19-2024, 10:09 PM
Replies: 8
Views: 279
Posted By aramkolt
Not claiming to be a pro here either, but here's...

Not claiming to be a pro here either, but here's my 2¢:

The very bottom area of the screen - say where the white bars on either side are black instead - is normal "head switching noise." These are...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 03-18-2024, 05:07 PM
Replies: 11
Views: 433
Posted By aramkolt
Ah. I was unaware of that. Which S-VHS VCRs on...

Ah. I was unaware of that. Which S-VHS VCRs on the recommended list do not do that? Or is it only the Digipure ones that you can't skip that A/D step? I just want to make sure I'm aware of what's all...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 03-18-2024, 09:32 AM
Views: 433
Posted By aramkolt
General consensus is to turn off the line TBC on...

General consensus is to turn off the line TBC on the VHS machine if you're using the ES15 as it does the same thing, or may do it more poorly if it has already been done by the VCR. In such a setup,...
Forum: Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 03-10-2024, 10:57 AM
Views: 354
Posted By aramkolt
Ah yes, the good old aspect ratio conversation...

Ah yes, the good old aspect ratio conversation haha.

Where I get confused is if the "head switching nose" area at the bottom is supposed to figure in. Ideally you'd mask that to black rather than...
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 03-10-2024, 10:42 AM
Replies: 12
Views: 252
Posted By aramkolt
All of the DMR models have power supply caps that...

All of the DMR models have power supply caps that go bad and that's what prevents power up 95% of the time. Good news is that it doesn't permanently damage anything most of the time you don't need...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 02-29-2024, 06:53 PM
Replies: 6
Views: 301
Posted By aramkolt
As others have said, you don't want to just split...

As others have said, you don't want to just split the signal passively - you'd want to use a distribution amplifier.

Extron is a pretty well known brand and they have multiple models that can...
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 02-29-2024, 05:39 PM
Replies: 6
Views: 281
Posted By aramkolt
No way to really tell from that, but since half...

No way to really tell from that, but since half of the image is kind of missing at any given time, would imagine a couple of the video heads are dirty or are just broken.*Could also be cracked solder...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 02-20-2024, 09:07 PM
Views: 379
Posted By aramkolt
Most of the DVD recorder recommendations here are...

Most of the DVD recorder recommendations here are typically for passthrough use if you are getting "tearing" or upper picture shifts, or non-straight vertical lines/edge wavering as sort of a line...
Forum: Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 01-12-2024, 05:11 PM
Views: 319
Posted By aramkolt
By your description I was going to guess that...

By your description I was going to guess that this would be a YC delay/alignment issue, but the actual footage almost looks like it was originally that and then amplified by being a multigeneration...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 12-27-2023, 11:42 PM
Views: 233
Posted By aramkolt
Here's what I came up with for hybrid with...

Here's what I came up with for hybrid with 59.94fps

Cropped 8 pixels from each side (yes, that techincally will mess up the aspect ratio a bit, MP3 Audio, 5000kbps, with QTGMC/bob deinterlacing,...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 12-26-2023, 10:54 PM
Posted By aramkolt
Interestingly, that wouldn't run through Hybrid...

Interestingly, that wouldn't run through Hybrid since the vertical resolution is 477 and the colorspace requires an even number of pixels. Cropping it by 1 pixel or adding pixels also causes the...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 12-26-2023, 08:53 PM
Posted By aramkolt
Your capture is interlaced still, so when looking...

Your capture is interlaced still, so when looking at it in most programs it'll look a bit off. If you are trying to preserve the highest quality - you'd hold onto that raw capture just in case there...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 12-20-2023, 07:15 PM
Replies: 7
Views: 449
Posted By aramkolt
No reason not to see what the result is if you've...

No reason not to see what the result is if you've already got all the hardware.

I think the idea with the OSSC would be to use the line-doubling feature and that'll essentially make your 480i...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 12-08-2023, 04:42 PM
Views: 452
Posted By aramkolt
Post a picture of what the output looks like...

Post a picture of what the output looks like without any in-line devices (so just VCR direct to capture card) and the TBC within the VCR turned on versus turned off. Seems the source. That just seems...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 11-30-2023, 11:47 AM
Replies: 18
Views: 802
Posted By aramkolt
Yeah, I get that frustration about wanting more...

Yeah, I get that frustration about wanting more opinions haha. Problem is that no one really has the same source tape and exact setup to give an idea of if they think their version of that same...
Forum: Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 11-29-2023, 02:25 PM
Replies: 12
Views: 449
Posted By aramkolt
One of the big advancements in quality you'll see...

One of the big advancements in quality you'll see is from the actual deinterlacing with QTGMC which can be done pretty easily through the Hybrid app (that's the detelecine he describes) - though that...
Forum: Capture, Record, Transfer 11-18-2023, 09:35 AM
Replies: 18
Views: 802
Posted By aramkolt
Dinosaur clip looks pretty darn good to me. I...

Dinosaur clip looks pretty darn good to me. I guess I'm not used to PAL with more vertical resolution haha. There were no issues with macrovision with that? Could just be that the capture card...
Forum: Video Hardware Repair 11-18-2023, 09:26 AM
Replies: 10
Views: 411
Posted By aramkolt
Has that AG1980 been refurbished recently? What...

Has that AG1980 been refurbished recently? What you're describing sounds like your unit might be in need of a recap. Not sure why it only would do that when passed through a panasonic though. I...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 33