03-09-2009, 02:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
This guide is an alternative way to convert AC3>WAV or MP2>WAV without using Besweet/BeLight. And then it includes a method to convert the WAV back to a compressed audio, WAV>AC3

Software required:
These programs do not have "installers" per se, simply unzip/unrar the files to folders that you'll place in the C:\Program Files folder:
  • C:\Program Files\HeadAC3he
  • C:\Program Files\FFMPEG GUI

Demux MPEG audio from the video:This guide assumes your audio is still multiplexed (muxed) to the video. An MPEG file is generally made up of two streams, and audio and a video. For this guide, we just need to extract the audio. One of the easiest ways to demux an MPEG is to use TMPGEnc or TMPGEnc Plus:
  1. Start TMPGEnc, the click on FILE > MPEG TOOLS and it will open the tools dialog.
  2. Click on the De-multiplex (demux) tab. Do not choose the "Simple" one.
  3. Click BROWSE and then navigate to the folder where your source files or ripped DVD files are located.
  4. If should show MPEG files already. If your source files are VOB from a DVD, change the file type to "all files" so that your VOB files become visible.
  5. Select the video file, and click open.
tmpgenc1.gif

What you see next is the entire contents of the VOB or MPEG file, with the option to extract each element one by one. Double-click on the audio stream, and a dialog box will appear asking where you'd like to save the file. Save it somewhere that you remember (it's suggested that you use a project folder, don't just randomly save files all over your computer). Depending on your source MPEG or DVD, you may have several audio options. In that case, you'll need to play your DVD to see which stream is required. (Note: 0x80 is first audio, 0x81 is second, etc.)

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

BatchDemux is another option (software attached to this thread) for batch demuxing, or for times when TMPGEnc is for some reasonable unavailable.

Convert AC3/MP2 to WAV using HeadAC3he:

Now that you've got the audio stream extracted from your source MPEG or DVD, it's time to convert the audio to WAV, so that it may be restored in an editor like GoldWave or SoundForge.

Open HeadAC3he. Five areas have been labeled on the screen image below:

tmpgenc2.gif
  1. Source File button, this is where you would load the AC3 or MP2 file you got from demuxing.
  2. You should not have to do anything here, as it should automatically create a WAV version of the source file in the same directory, the button is there in case you want to save the wav file elsewhere.
  3. Do not change.
  4. Do NOT check this box (the image shows 44.1 checked, which is wrong!). DVD audio is 48 kHz, not 44.1 kHz. YOU DO NOT WANT TO RESAMPLE!
  5. Click START and it should convert the AC3/MP2 to WAV for use in Soundforge.
You really dont want to mess with any of the settings not discuseed above, as the defaults are setup correctly to turn the AC3/MP2 into a WAV we'll need.

Now you should have a WAV file of the DVD audio, now load this into Soundforge and do the work you need

Restore Audio:

This is covered in other guides.
For example, Filter Audio with Sony SoundForge @ http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/...soundforge.htm
GoldWave-based guides and other guides will be created as needed, either on the site, or on the forum, or both.

Convert WAV to AC3, using FFMPEG GUI:

Take the newly restored WAV file and load up FFMPEGUI. Click BROWSE in the Audio Source box and open the WAV file you just saved

Adjust settings (as needed) to match these values:
  • Format AC3
  • Bitrate 256
  • Sampling Rate 48000
  • Audio Channels 2
For illustration, this is the FFMPEG GUI screen:

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

• Select Browse in the Audio Output box and type in what file name you want to the AC3 file to have. Again, it's suggested that you use a project folder, don't just randomly save files all over your computer.
  • Click Convert.

Attached Files
File Type: rar Headac3he-v023a-Setup.rar (85.3 KB, 29 downloads)
File Type: zip BatchDemux-v014-Setup.zip (124.7 KB, 12 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Last edited by lordsmurf; 03-09-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Free Member

I did the first 3 steps in TMPEG, but when I browsed to my folder where I have my captures and encoded videos, there was no VOB files.
For the last video that I encoded, I left the audio blank in MC as I was told to do, to save it for these steps, but there was no VOB file listed. Even after I changed it to "All Files" the video that I encoded with no audio has the icon of the browser with 6 icons on it...I always thought that meant there was an error or something in the file when that came up. I've included a screenshot showing what I mean. The video I'm referring to, is "rare tv 1 encoded"

When I added that encoded into TMPEG, only the video stream came up, not the 4 choices that were in this guide. I've included a screenshot of that also. I know I'm having a problem somewhere, but I'm not sure where...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (29.9 KB, 9 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (45.5 KB, 7 downloads)
03-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

You never have VOB files. This is a "generic" guide written for any number of readers. In your exact case, your source files are the MPEGs captured by the Hauppauge card.

Your workflow to date should produce the following files:
  • Hauppauge MPEG (.MPG) files, audio+video
  • Womble edited MPEG (.MPG) files, audio+video
  • MainConcept encoded video-only files (MPV or M2V), no audio
  • using this guide, extract audio from the Womble files, the AC3 or MPA/MP2 audio-only files
  • using this guide, WAV converted from AC3 or MP2/MPA
  • using this guide, new AC3 for authoring
  • using an authoring guide, using the MPV/M2V and AC3 to author and create a new DVD
This will be repeated for every DVD to date. If you skipped a step, such as the Womble step, adjust yourself accordingly.

It's a logical process.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Free Member

Alright...so, everything that I showed in the screenshots were correct then and I can continue?
03-10-2009, 10:29 AM

As long as you're following the workflow, and are getting files as stated in my last post, then it sounds like you are on track and may proceed.

03-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Free Member

In the guide, it shows once the video is imported into TMPEG, the choices were video stream 0x00 and mine is like that, but for audio stream, mine is 0x00 MPEG-1 Audio Layer-2 48000Hz 256kbps
In the guide there is no audio stream, it's private stream (I have no private stream) and the private stream says Dolby Digital..
Does that mean there's a problem with mine?
Also, as said in the guide, I just double click the audio stream and save it? Do I click "Run" at the bottom of the box?

Sometimes I don't need to use Womble because I don't need anything edited..what do I do then use in TMPEG?
Should I still run it thru Womble even if I don't cut anything out?

Last edited by Superstar; 03-10-2009 at 12:16 PM.
03-10-2009, 02:13 PM

If your files are perfect already, and you don't have to edit in Womble, then that step is skipped. Therefore your source files are the captures, not Womble-edited MPEG files. I find it hard to believe that a capture could be perfect the first time, but if you say so. My captures always have junk before or after, that should be removed.

03-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Free Member

Ok, thanks for the advice. That removes a lot of confusion I was having.

As far as this goes...should I be worried about this, or just continue working in TMPEG..

In the guide, it shows once the video is imported into TMPEG, the choices were video stream 0x00 and mine is like that, but for audio stream, mine is 0x00 MPEG-1 Audio Layer-2 48000Hz 256kbps
In the guide there is no audio stream, it's private stream (I have no private stream) and the private stream says Dolby Digital..
Does that mean there's a problem with mine?
03-10-2009, 02:42 PM

Streams will vary, and DVD-sourced VOB files can even have multiple streams.
You have found the correct audio stream for your video, 0x00 MPEG-1 Audio Layer-2 48000Hz 256kbps