06-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Free Member

My new workflow says to convert audio mp2 to WAV in FFMPEG GUI, then restore in Soundforge, and convert the restored WAV to AC3 in TMPGE AC3, but this guide shows how to convert WAV to AC3, using FFMPEG GUI. So, this guide is opposite of what I think I need it to do.
When FFMPEG GUI is open, in format it has AC3 and MP2, it's default selected as AC3, would I just change that to MP2 then?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

This thread is correct. Use HeadAC3he to convert from AC3 to WAV. Not the other way around. Where is that workflow post? I need to update it.

FFMPEG GUI can do AC3 okay, but honestly the freeware AC3 encoding can be inferior to the Dolby-certified encoding. Since you have such an encoder, the commercial TMPGEnc Sound Player (with AC3 encoding option), do that one instead.

You don't use FFMPEG for going from AC3 to WAV. Use HeadAC3he for that.

To go from MP2 to WAV, assuming HeadAC3he won't install correctly on your system still, you need something else again. Before I start to run through freeware suggestions again (BeLight or Besweet, or something else entirely), don't you have Goldwave installed? If so, open an AC3 or MP2 in Goldwave, and then save as WAV using it.

You're kind of all over the place right now, so many different topics, but I'll stick with you as best I can, help you sort through the various issues. Trying to do 2-3 different projects at once is not easy, and it's easy to make mistakes. Multi-tasking is a myth.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Free Member

I'm not sure where that post is...Smurf told me that using Headac3he wasn't a good idea, and that's why he made the guide for TMPGE AC3..and then he gave me the new workflow..
Capture
Edit in Womble
Seperate audio from video in TMPEG (if editing audio)
Encode in MC
Convert audio MP2 to WAV in FFMPEG
Restore in SF
Convert restored WAV to AC3 in TMPGE AC3
Author
Burn

As I said in my last post, this is the step that's confused me.."Convert audio MP2 to WAV in FFMPEG" Yes I have Goldwave installed. Should I just use that for this step, instead of FFMPEG? If so, how would I use it for this particular task? The only time I've ever used it was to test the video when I was having the prob with my last capture card.

I know I have a few diff topics going, but I'm trying to learn and do a lot at the same time, and I feel like I'm getting close, but I always run into a snag or two with each different project I'm trying to work on, nothing seems to just go smoothly for me lol. I appreciate all the advice & help. I'm sure all my q's are annoying and confusing, but I'm doing the best I can to learn a lot of different things in a quick amount of time. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to this, and I want my DVDs to be as good as I possibly can make them, because I take great pride in this, and my particular collection I'm putting on DVD.
Thanks again for all the advice, and for sticking with me through all of this, it's greatly appreciated.
06-15-2009, 04:16 AM

1. Workflow
  2. Capture
  3. Edit in Womble
  4. Seperate audio from video in TMPEG (if editing audio)
  5. Encode in MC
  6. Convert audio MP2 to WAV in Goldwave
  7. Restore in SF
  8. Convert restored WAV to AC3 in TMPGE AC3
  9. Author
  10. Burn
That should do it.

06-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Free Member

Ok, thanks.
How do I convert MP2 to WAV in Goldwave?
06-15-2009, 11:01 AM

There is not a "convert" function, so don't look for one. All you must do is open the MP2 file, then "save as" a WAV file. It's that easy.