Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-12-2023, 02:12 PM
Free Member

I'm capturing (USB SVideo, DVC-100 Dazzle) to VirtualDub2 on a Windows 7 machine, settings are 720x480 29.97i. I'm using the Lagarith Lossless Video Codec no audio compression, with no dropped frames after capture. After video capture in file manager in windows properties or in VLC media info the file frame rate displays 29.970030, which is great. However, when I'm deinterlacing QTGMC in AvsPmod the clip indicates it's 29.905 fps, even in Quick Time under file info it displays 29.905 fps which worries me. When doing a few test captures in VirtualDub2 I noticed that the average capture frame rate fluctuates between 29.95 - 29.98 . Is this an issues?

I have around 40 VHS-C and VHS tapes to capture and have been going over a decent workflow the last 4 weeks to get this done properly. I notice when I capture footage using WinDV connecting a Panasonic DVX100b (MiniDV camera) as a passthrough for SVideo analog feed that after capture it is 29.97 . Upon bringing the captured 25-DV.avi footage in to deinterlace with QTGMC in AvsPmod the frame rate displays 29.97 . However I don't want to encode my VHS-C clips to the 25-DV codec, I'd use WinDV for all my MiniDv tapes.

Any advice on the frame rate difference would be great, I have some footage shot simultaneously and feel if one capture was at 29.95 and the other at 29.97 they might not sync after a few minutes. Am I over analyzing or will this be an issue down the road for sync?

Regards;
Phil
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-12-2023, 02:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,471 Times in 2,101 Posts
Dazzle = bad card
VirtualDub2 = almost always bad at capture, use the original VirtualDub 1.9.x

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-13-2023, 07:32 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Dazzle = bad card
VirtualDub2 = almost always bad at capture, use the original VirtualDub 1.9.x
Thanks very much for the comments " Dazzle = bad card ", the issues is that I can't find anyone that is able to document a successful work flow from beginning to end. Only little bits to the complex puzzle are disclosed. So I've been trying to create a work flow starting in October 2021, I've spent hrs here and on youtube, looking up QTGMC and AvsPmod deinterlacing, now this research went back even starting in 2013 but trying to find a workflow to deinterlace back then was impossible, well to attain QTGMC results. Any way I dedicated myself starting in October of 2021. Did a little research and found that I'd need a Win7 OS for capture, then from what found in actual youtube in depth demonstrations was the DVC-100 works with VirtualDub. I've been getting decent S-Video quality with lossless codecs, but now I'm seeing that I'm have actual recoded frame rate issues that vary from 29.84 - 29.91. I've done testes in VirtualDub1 with the EZCrap and the DVC-100, the EZCrap will produce 29.97 actual frames, the DVC-100 indicates when checking in file manager or VLC media info it's a 29.97 clip. But when checking in QuickTime or FCP it will show the true capture 29.84 (again this varies). File manager and VLC just show what the setting were captured at 29.97, not the tre format it's in.

I've read the how to tutorials on this site, but can't find anything on this subject, this is going to cause issues when syncing 29.97 footage from 2 cameras. Anyway yes I feel the DVC-100 looks decent but will not work for backing up my 50 tape collection of home movies to 59.94p.

I've now been going down the Dimond VC500 train, again I can't find any videos with detailed info on a successful workflow from VHS, TBC, Capture card or USB dongle, to capture software and settings for lossless codecs.

"VirtualDub2 = almost always bad at capture, use the original VirtualDub 1.9.x"
Virtualdub1 made no difference in this regard to correcting the FPS to 29.97.

lordsmurf do you have any input on a workflow that will work with providing capture card/USB dongle models and settings used in software in order to de-interlace VHS-C, MiniDV, Hi8 footage? Even mentioning to compress for example to Apple Prores, things like that will help. I've wasted 100's of hrs coming back to square one.

Regards;
Phil
01-13-2023, 08:03 AM
Free Member

Try AmarecTV for capture. I don't use VDub for long voice tapes because of audio sync issues with all my cards. Use the 3.1 version.

Lollo has done a quickstart guide here:
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post84654

and Fleshwound a more comprehensive guide here:
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post86872

AmareTV is pretty hard to stuff up.

I use VDub to set the levels, then capture with AmarecTV. Any audio out of sync I've had has been linear (max 100ms/2 frames at 25fps), so I just put an adjustment into VDub or my NLE when I'm post-processing.
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: JaiFai4K (12-10-2023)
01-17-2023, 09:18 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Try AmarecTV for capture. I don't use VDub for long voice tapes because of audio sync issues with all my cards. Use the 3.1 version.

Lollo has done a quickstart guide here:
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post84654

and Fleshwound a more comprehensive guide here:
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post86872

AmareTV is pretty hard to stuff up.

I use VDub to set the levels, then capture with AmarecTV. Any audio out of sync I've had has been linear (max 100ms/2 frames at 25fps), so I just put an adjustment into VDub or my NLE when I'm post-processing.
Thanks very much, this has been a tremendous help. I've since downloaded, installed and done a few test captures with AmaRecTV. Like you mentioned setting it up after install to a couple hrs to play with but I got it after watching a few youtube videos. VirtualDub1 on it's own will not capture consistent frame rate, I tried 2 different capture devices DVC-100 and VC500, I did try an EZCrap with direct capture in VirtualDub1 and it would always have 29.97 actual fps but the other 2 capture devices wouldn't. The quality of the EZCrap was not good at all, very soft and high contrast, the audio had a line hum.

Regardless, I'm getting closer to a decent work flow for capture, I need actual playable fps to be 29.97 to sync up VHS-C live show footage, in addition using FCPX for editing it needs to be true 29.97 nothing less or it has to render on the time line after each little edit.

I tested capturing via AmaRecTV and files view in FCP and QuickTime in 29.97 which is awesome, I did a passthrough AmaRecTV to VirtualDub1 test and captured and it was rock solid 29.97 after capture when viewed in FCP and QuickTime.

Ideally this is my workflow:

VCR: Mitsubishi hs-423ur (S-Video) or JVC Camcorder VHS-C with built in TBC (S-Video)
Need to buy a TBC
Capture device: DVC-100 or VC500 (S-Video)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.3 GHz 4GB RAM SSD/HD (Win7 64x)
Software: AmaRecTV (HuffyUV, Lagarith)
Deinterlace: QTGMC/VirtualDub2, avisynth/avspmod 29.97i – 59.94p (File codec Apple Prores)

Again thanks so much for your reply and input,
Regards;
Phil
The following users thank reel-images for this useful post: Hushpower (01-17-2023)