Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-26-2023, 03:47 PM
Free Member

So another fun one, this is likely more involved. The S-Video output on my JVC SR-V10U has gone black and white. If I apply pressure on the rear of the chassis, the color returns. Right now, I’ve resorted to rigging a clamp to apply continuous pressure to keep the color going, but I’m sure this will eventually fail as well and I may need to resort to using the composite output. Any known fix for this?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-26-2023, 07:51 PM
Free Member

You will have to resolder the S-Video socket to the PCB, It's a stupid design, the socket is too tight and connecting and disconnecting the cable moves the socket in and out putting stress on the pins until the solder breaks, I've done it several times on my VCRs.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
06-26-2023, 08:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,471 Times in 2,101 Posts
Another eBay special deck?
This is one of the check points of my refurbs, and has been a mod area in the past.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-26-2023, 08:09 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Another eBay special deck?
This is one of the check points of my refurbs, and has been a mod area in the past.
It’s actually a deck I got from you a few years ago, this was my first time using the s-video output and I’d say it happened after about 6 hours of transfers.
06-26-2023, 08:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,471 Times in 2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg8729 View Post
It’s actually a deck I got from you a few years ago, this was my first time using the s-video output and I’d say it happened after about 6 hours of transfers.
That's disappointing to hear.

Very often, too often, all it takes is a single bad insert, and the solder can break. I know this, because I did it about 15 years ago. My (at the time) prize JVC 9800 was victim to me pushing in a "better" s-video cable, which had a "death grip" header. Even headers that seem "fine" can be too harsh. I tend to only use cables that are buttery smooth at insertion, or I use short 6-inch cable extension to save the deck I/O.

Was this the same deck with the overscan off? That's a first. Shipping jostle can knock parts out of alignment, so not overly surprised. Gravity also takes a toll on decks (the downside of living on Earth), used or not, sometimes in just a few years for parts that have a tiny >1mm tolerance.

In fact, shipping jostle, more like excessive mishandling, could also cause the s-video solder to weaken, as the s-video is bolted to both the board and the case. These tiny tolerances can give if the box was subjected to excessive force, extreme dropping (example = 10 foot), that causes the internals board the shake hard inside the deck, thus solder shake lose.

I have a deck here that was dropped by USPS, likely from the plane to the ground. So how high is that, 30 feet? Catastophic damage, caused by stupid.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-27-2023, 04:10 PM
Free Member

Well looks like I’m going to finally learn soldering lol any pointers or tips?