Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-20-2023, 05:57 AM
Free Member

Hi!
Recently, I purchased this machine. It is a Japanese machine in NTSC standard.
It had a fluorescent display marked as "NEC FIP13BMW6". Part number, according to manual, is 1-519-507-31.
The display is dead.
It has a side glass dint which is broken.
dint.jpg
I cannot find anything while searching after codes listed above.
This is the display. Same display is used in Sony EV-S1000E, and likely in other machines.
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Do you have any idea where can i find this display?
Thank you in advance.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-20-2023, 12:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Do you have any idea where can i find this display?
Yes, you can find it in another used camcorder.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
07-21-2023, 07:19 AM
Free Member

Where did you buy the VCR and what was the listed condition?
Did the display ever work while you had the VCR?
Is the "side dint" (looks like a glass spur of sorts) actually where the display was sealed after air was removed out?

Did you verify that the display was receiving correct voltages? Some systems have fluorescent displays that go out due to power supply (to the display) issues. The display may use higher voltages supplied by a step-up supply on the display PCB rather than the main power supply.

Also, check parts lists for other Hi8 VCRs, it might have been used in more than one model.
07-24-2023, 04:31 AM
Free Member

Hi. The side dent is physically broken. There is a hole in its place. From my understanding, there is no vacuum in the display, something that prevents it from working.
The machine works well, electrically and mechanically.
I bought it locally, exactly in this condition.
07-24-2023, 06:58 AM
Free Member

This is strictly a work-around, sort of. It may (if the system LANC works) give a basic display of that the VCR is doing, but no VU meters, etc.

The Sony RM-95 wired remote controller (see photo) does provide a small LCD display that shows the tape operating mode and tape playback time (not time code). It connects and is powered by the lANC terminal. It enables control of LANC-equipped VCRs and camcorders. I've use it with Sony and Canon gear. The display is about 3x2 CM and the cord is long.

It was sold in two versions, "normal" and "Adjusting." The adjusting type enabled making internal setting electrical/alignment/tuning adjustments on supported Sony and Canon devices (e.g., back focus on camcorders). How to is in the applicable factory service manuals. It has a switch to select adjusting or normal mode.

Some linear editing controllers that supported LANC can also provide similar displays; e.g., Canon ED100.

And the LANC protocol is well defined so a DYI project is possible if you have the skills and motivation.
07-24-2023, 07:36 AM
Free Member

Hi.
Thanks, nice workaround.
The player has on the back both "Control S" and "Control L" connectors.
connectors.jpg
Along with your suggestion, Sony RM-95 wired remote controller, I saw here https://mrbetamax.com/ControlS.htm that It is possible to use RM-E100V or RM-E80.
Which of them do you think would be the best option?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2023-07-24 at 15.27.20.jpg (104.1 KB, 2 downloads)
07-24-2023, 09:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Which of them do you think would be the best option?
I've not use the "80" or "100" so I cannot speak to them. Be sure what you select gives the displays you want and provides the necessary connecting cables for the RM and your VTR; or at least the information necessary to make the cables. The back photo you posted has the 5-pin mini-DIN LANC connector while the RM-95 uses the 2.5mm Mini phone TRS type connector.

Also be satisfied as to the condition and the footprint of the device. The RM-E100 looks larger than the others. The RM-E80 might be a good option.