Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-23-2023, 12:33 PM
Free Member

Greetings! Long time lurker, first time poster. I have captured some 8mm camcorder tapes using an ATI AIW card on an XP machine. I captured them directly to HufYUV using VirtualDub. Per medianfo, they show up as 59.94 FPS progressive, although they're actually 29.97 FPS interlaced, of course. Stepping through frame-by-frame in VLC confirms that the stream was captured properly, with no duplicate frames.

My next step is to correct color and do some editing in Davinci Resolve. I'm using Resolve as it's what I'm familiar with and has great color tools. I would also like to import interlaced files directly to resolve and use Resolve's neural network deinterlacer, as I've been quite happy with prior projects using DV/Digital8 files and Resolve's deinterlacer. I plan to use FFV1 4:2:2 as an intermediate lossless codec as Resolve doesn't support HufYUV.

However, I am running into a roadblock processing AIW captured files so that Resolve correctly ID's the file as 29.97FPS interlaced without dropping frames.

So far I've tried the below ffmpeg command, which creates a lossless 59.94 FPS interlaced file. This is not what I need. I worry that using ffmpeg's built in frame-rate adjusting filters, such as -r or the fps filter will drop frames.

One example ffmpeg command (doesn't work - shows up as 59.94 FPS interlaced vs. 29.97)
Code:
 ffmpeg -i .\1993_Christmas_pt1.avi -c:v ffv1 -pix_fmt yuv422p -vf "setfield=tff" -c:a copy -flags +ildct+ilme 1993_Christmas_pt1_ffv1_tff_422.mkv
Mediainfo for my input file:

Code:
Complete name                            : D:\8mm AIW Captures\1993_Christmas_pt1.avi
Format                                   : AVI
Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile                           : OpenDML
Format settings                          : WaveFormatEx
File size                                : 63.4 GiB
Duration                                 : 2 h 3 min
Overall bit rate                         : 73.6 Mb/s
Frame rate                               : 59.940 FPS

Video
ID                                       : 0
Format                                   : HuffYUV
Format version                           : Version 2
Codec ID                                 : HFYU
Duration                                 : 2 h 3 min
Bit rate                                 : 72.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 716 pixels
Height                                   : 476 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 3:2
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 3.525
Stream size                              : 62.0 GiB (98%)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-23-2023, 02:35 PM
Free Member

Avi does not have interlaced Flags embedded so not surprising mediainfo struggle

I don't know Da Vinci resolve as far as practice but there should be a box to tick/set in the properties of the video you import in Resolve. Once you have found it, change to interlace frame structure (and most likely Upper field first).

edit sorry didn't see Resolve don't support huff

You could use an avisynth script and frameserve to resolve with PFMount although i suspect it'll be super slow
12-23-2023, 03:57 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
I don't know Da Vinci resolve as far as practice but there should be a box to tick/set in the properties of the video you import in Resolve. Once you have found it, change to interlace frame structure (and most likely Upper field first).
Unfortunately you can't force Resolve to deinterlace a file it doesn't detect as interlaced. So far, that's my biggest complaint with the tool.
12-24-2023, 11:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,468 Times in 2,099 Posts
DaVinci has a lot of limitations, which is why serious users still don't like it.

- If you have very narrow HD progressive type needs, it's great.
- Anything different, legacy, etc. Nope.

How would DaVinci handle a 4:2:2 MPEG-2 with 50mbps bitrate? You can force MPEG-2 interlaced, it's all flagged. Unfortunately, I think that MPEG is too "advanced" for it, DaVinci would be confused.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs