Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-25-2024, 07:11 PM
Free Member

Hi everyone, "first time caller" here.

I'm in the process of starting a large archiving side project (lots of video formats), and I haven't seen anything in the forums regarding the MOTU HDX-SDI video interface. I was wondering if there is a reason for that. Does anyone here have experience with one, and would you recommend it?

I would be using it with a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter and Adobe Premiere on a current Windows PC.

I love that it has a multitude of supported inputs. s-video, composite, component, HDMI, RCA Audio and balanced 1/4" TRS audio.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-26-2024, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarner765 View Post
I haven't seen anything in the forums regarding the MOTU HDX-SDI video interface. I was wondering if there is a reason for that. Does anyone here have experience with one, and would you recommend it?
There's info posted about it in plenty of other places. Not being here doesn't mean it won't work. It's an older product, so if anything, it may have some promise of being a good option. At the very least, it's guaranteed to be better than the dreaded $2 Amazon/eBay "cheap and easy!" garbage option.

Quote:
I would be using it with a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter and Adobe Premiere on a current Windows PC.
Make sure you're aware of how all these pieces go together.
- The website specs Premiere Pro CS5.5 as the last supported version, same as AJA with their legacy devices.
- You'll want (need) a clean Windows 7 install (that's a good thing).
- What exactly are the specs of your "current Windows PC?" Several things to consider with that.

How comfortable are you with customizing the hardware & software configuration of all this? I've spent many, many hours on calls with members from here and elsewhere helping walk them through their individual setups step by step, or troubleshooting the setup they've already done on their own. It's not a quick and easy thing unless you're already familiar with all this. Most people buy all the gear first, then find out afterward that it's not as simple to start capturing as it seems. And there's nothing wrong with that, just something to consider.

Quote:
I love that it has a multitude of supported inputs. s-video, composite, component, HDMI, RCA Audio and balanced 1/4" TRS audio.
What's your knowledge/skill level in this situation? Are you aware & comfortable with the types of cabling required for this workflow?
Please also note that just like any other professional capture gear, this will almost certainly require you to use more expensive & higher-quality playback equipment in addition to a good external/frame TBC device. If you have anything other than a clean signal going into this capture setup, it will likely perform very poorly and leave you unhappy with the results.

It's certainly worth testing out if you're comfortable with the risk.

recommended vcr+line tbc ---(y/c)--> recommended frame tbc or "tbc-ish" ---(sdi+y/c)--> capture
01-29-2024, 05:47 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the quick reply and for the call out of supported legacy products. Given the expertise that I've seen in the posts here, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any red flags or bad experiences that members of this forum have had, before I add it to my shopping list.

This project is actually for the company I work for, so I have some decent resources at my disposal as far as computers and budget are concerned, thankfully.

I haven't done a deep dive into "what are the best legacy devices" for archiving yet (I'm starting to), but I used to work in broadcasting, so I feel comfortable with cabling and the general theory.

Thanks again
01-29-2024, 05:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,468 Times in 2,099 Posts
I don't think the device does what you think it does, and have a wrong idea about the features. I need to know more about the project, the specfics. There's a reason this is not a recommended device.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-29-2024, 07:37 PM
Free Member

I was looking for an external interface device that has a number of input options to capture audio and video on a "post windows XP" laptop.

I'm going to be getting decks for Hi8, Digital8 (Just ordered a DV-800), VHS, Betacam, UMatic, and MiniDV (looking at a DSR-25) as of right now, so having a device that supports composite, s-video, and component seems ideal. It also has balanced audio inputs which seems nice.

The other option I'm looking at is a Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K, but I've had good experiences with Motu, so I'm leaning towards them right now. I have a Motu M6 for some of my audio archiving, and I've really liked it thus far.
01-30-2024, 06:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,468 Times in 2,099 Posts
Welcome.

Jack of all trades, master of none. Having "lots of inputs" is not a good thing. Think about the circuitry required for such a feat, and of the compromises that must be made to allow it? Uh-oh.

You need to focus on each format, and the needs of the format. Not on some cheap (or even expensive) device that makes false promises. In actuality, supporting "every input" is as silly as it claiming to also makes toast (breakfast in bed).

You're also focusing too much on the capture card. That comes later. The main determiner of quality is the playback gear, and the required analog signal process (TBCs, both line and frame for most formats).

So back up a bit here, don't just start random buying items.

Start here:
- What are the exact formats? # of each, estimate if needed.
- What playback hardware (VCRs, camcorders, etc), and what processing gear (required TBCs, optional proc amps, details, etc), are going to be used here?

If you start just grabbing this, grabbing that, you're goign to be in an expensive mess situation. Don't do that to yourself. This isn't an activity where you can buy items on a whim, nor because you read some flowery comments in a bias "review" (paid/sponsored puff piece).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
interface, video capture